Regarding a post seen in the Beta group. (General Discussion)

Regarding a post seen in the Beta group. // General Discussion

1  |

jermel

Oct 3, 2002, 4:39pm
Good evening,

A little reply to the answer of joeman (post "Rendering bugs" of Katerine)
in the"Beta"group.

I am a happy owner of a Voodoo card and honnestly. I don't have the
intention to change it whenever there is a new AW version!...

In my opinion every program needs to have the capability to work with the
widest variety of material to satisfy the largest number of their
customers.....

JermeL

Now it really depends on what your voodoo card is... and this is directed
with everyone out there with a voodoo card or any card that's more than 2 or
3 years old.

If you have a Voodoo 1 card or something, you really can't expect technology
to keep pace with you. It usually works the other way around. And seeing
as how 3dfx went under a long time ago in terms of technology, you'd better
start saving some money for a new card if you want to keep pace with
technology. You will most definitely be happier when you don't have to put
up with low frame rates and long render times. :)

SW Chris

[View Quote]

drubi

Oct 3, 2002, 5:52pm
I can only agree with the statement below, of course one can expect there
to be differences between "Voodoo" (1) and "Voodoo" (5).
There will be a moment where "dinosaurus" (would this be considered to be
discrimination of the dinosaurus?) will no longer be supported.

Opinions might be different, but still I do not consider the Voodoo 5 to be
a dinosaurus yet. In general I'm pretty satisfied with the average
performance of my own system. Probably no longer the "top of the line",
maybe not even anymore if I would have bought it a couple of weeks ago, but
I don't think that any software should be written on supporting "the top of
the line" and for (a bit) older systems... oh well, too bad.
As long as the hardware is still supported, bugs, which I can confirm are
definitely there since the 3.3 version, ought still to be taken into
consideration. Compromises might have to be made in developping graphical
software, which is understandable, but simply ignoring glitches seems to me
to be a rather easy way out.

Now it's maybe only the (small) group of Voodoo card users, tomorrow it
might be the group of users with a same card as yours :)

"sw chris" <chrisw10 at skywalkeronline.net> wrote in
news:3d9c9660 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Now it really depends on what your voodoo card is... and this is
> directed with everyone out there with a voodoo card or any card that's
> more than 2 or 3 years old.

dion

Oct 3, 2002, 5:56pm
3DFX tried a new way of rendering 3D graphics that is supposed to be faster
but since it never caught on and almost no games took advantage of the new
technology, many of the Voodoo cards are rather useless. I have a Voodoo 3
that I got about a year ago. It is very slow compared to what I want but
it's more than enough to survive on for now.

Because of the new technology 3DFX tried, I wouldn't expect everything to
work with the Voodoo series of cards. They work differently than most
graphics cards and that can cause a lot of problems that only occur with
Voodoo graphics cards.

[View Quote]

katerine

Oct 3, 2002, 6:17pm
I totally agree with JermeL's and Drubi's posts.

I have myself a Voodoo5 and I don't have any bugs with the version 3.3 of
AW, at least not anymore since I upgraded the drivers.

I don't know with your card dion, but for me it is very fast and even
faster with the new beta version.
Besides, I have problems only with AW beta while it is working perfectly in
other applications. That is why I doubt that the card itself is to blame.
I already had to change my Voodoo2 for the 5 when the version 3.0 of AW
came out, and already then, I had to make that change because of AW only.

The advise is to use OpenGL mode, well I don't know for JermeL or other
Voodoo users like you, but for me the navigation goes a lot slower
when using that mode.
When I say "a lot" I mean a lot.
For me, none of the other videomodes are as satisfying as Direct3d8 is.

"dion" <Dion at digevo.net> a écrit
news:3d9ca0e3$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:
> 3DFX tried a new way of rendering 3D graphics that is supposed to be
> faster but since it never caught on and almost no games took advantage
> of the new technology, many of the Voodoo cards are rather useless. I
> have a Voodoo 3 that I got about a year ago. It is very slow compared
> to what I want but it's more than enough to survive on for now.
>
> Because of the new technology 3DFX tried, I wouldn't expect everything
> to work with the Voodoo series of cards. They work differently than
> most graphics cards and that can cause a lot of problems that only
> occur with Voodoo graphics cards.

Which is why you upgrade.

Anyways... Voodoo 5 won't be a dinosaur for another two or three years,
hence why it's a good time to start saving. It's not like a car that you
keep around for 10 or so years. Technology develops too quickly because of
supply and demand. In fact, what drives the 3D card market IS the people
who buy the cards who want better and more realistic games. Otherwise your
games' graphical capabilities would have stopped at 4-bit 2-D consoles a
long time ago. There'd be no reason to go any further if the targetted
consumer audience for 3D cards (gamers, which btw is not the same market as
aw or you wouldn't be here ;P) were fine with their Ataris and Frogger.

SW Chris

"jermel" <jermel at gala-3d.net> wrote in
news:Xns929CCDCFE70EEjermelxxifrancecom at 64.94.241.201:

> A little reply to the answer of joeman (post "Rendering bugs" of
> Katerine) in the"Beta"group.
>
> I am a happy owner of a Voodoo card and honnestly. I don't have the
> intention to change it whenever there is a new AW version!...
>
> In my opinion every program needs to have the capability to work with
> the widest variety of material to satisfy the largest number of their
> customers.....

By supporting OGL and D3D (hardware and software), AW does support the 3D
APIs most people can use. Only people with 3DFx API supporting cards can
use that API, and since 3DFx are long gone (no updates of the API or new
chips for it, etc) 3DFx support would be a waste of time. You should try a
GeForce series card, you can get new ones with much video memory quite
cheaply, and they have good support for D3D and OGL.