Object path protection (General Discussion)

Object path protection // General Discussion

1  2  |  

d a n

Sep 8, 2002, 4:18pm
Anyone know a good resource? apart from passwording the .zip files.

---
D a n

eep

Sep 8, 2002, 10:01pm
No, not with hackers and script kiddies like Sleepy E (".VACANT" in AW) stealing and hacking everything...

[View Quote] > Anyone know a good resource? apart from passwording the .zip files.

daphne

Sep 8, 2002, 11:43pm
Sleepy E didn't steal a thing, Eep, and you know it!!! Sure, he's one of
the best hackers out there but he's one of the good guys practically 100% of
the time.. You just think that because he can get your object password
whenever he wants, that he also wants your objects... Well you are WRONG..
Besides.. he's not the only one that can get your object password if they
want it and you know it.. The other person has never and will never steal
from you either... You overestimate the "allure" of your stuff greatly...
There are ppl around with morals, therefore stealing is not their thing --
but know-how is... Guess that's what you don't like??? --> People
knowing-how better than you... Well, Eep, get over it.. There will always
be someone that knows more than the next guy.. :o)

eep

Sep 9, 2002, 12:31am
Um, Daphne, you need to learn how to read more carefully. I said hackerS (plural) and script kiddIES (another plural). I'm not just concerned about MY objects but EVERYONE'S because I know how much damn work, time, and effort is put into making them (at least I know with mine anyway) and don't want them stolen by some no-talent wanna-be hacker and script kiddie like Sleepy E et al.

I'll get over it when my stuff can't be hacked, so take your condescending attitude and shove it up your ass.

[View Quote] > Sleepy E didn't steal a thing, Eep, and you know it!!! Sure, he's one of
> the best hackers out there but he's one of the good guys practically 100% of
> the time.. You just think that because he can get your object password
> whenever he wants, that he also wants your objects... Well you are WRONG..
> Besides.. he's not the only one that can get your object password if they
> want it and you know it.. The other person has never and will never steal
> from you either... You overestimate the "allure" of your stuff greatly...
> There are ppl around with morals, therefore stealing is not their thing --
> but know-how is... Guess that's what you don't like??? --> People
> knowing-how better than you... Well, Eep, get over it.. There will always
> be someone that knows more than the next guy.. :o)

athnex

Sep 9, 2002, 1:05am
So you would rather some pro dude stole them? And not just someone who is a
'script kiddie,' Or do you not like the fact that someone you think isnt
good can do it?

[View Quote]

eep

Sep 9, 2002, 2:18am
I don't like that ANYONE can steal objects--PERIOD. Perhaps if you actually made your own objects you would understand...

[View Quote] > So you would rather some pro dude stole them? And not just someone who is a
> 'script kiddie,' Or do you not like the fact that someone you think isnt
> good can do it?
>
[View Quote]

mod

Sep 9, 2002, 8:46am
It usually helps to put a blank .html file in your directories, this way
they actually have to work to get the files. Even though they wouldnt get
the password through the .zip file itself, if they have it, it will take a
bit more effort to get the objects they want. As for making the pws safer,
They are pretty damn safe. It takes a lot of skill to get the pw, a lot of
sniffing the incoming packets being sent by the world server. There are few
who can do this, and NONE of them will make a "Program" and give it out to
people, so that eliminates "script kiddies". As for Sleepy, I know that he
is 100% against stealing of others objects :)

-Mod

[View Quote]

ncc 72897

Sep 9, 2002, 9:21am
I think that's not the prob, it's about protecting the textures and the
whole path.
htaccess/htpasswd protected directories seem not to work with AW.

wizard myrddin

Sep 9, 2002, 11:00am
if unix hosted try looking at cmod 711 for the folders



[View Quote]

daphne

Sep 9, 2002, 3:40pm
"no-talent, wanna-be"??? LOL You only WISH that Sleepy E was just a
script kiddie.. :o)

If you didn't want someone coming back on you then why mention names??? You
could have left your statement to read "hackers and script kiddies" and you
would not have heard from me...

Eep, your stuff can always be hacked if it's on the internet... No matter
what's put in place for "protection" there will always be someone smart
enough to find a work-around...

You can put that where the sun doesn't shine, dear...

*SMOOCHIES* :o)
Daphne

ananas

Sep 9, 2002, 6:23pm
You can get a little security with a scripted path, the
objects don't need to need in a directory that can be
accessed through HTTP, and the script can check some
things in the HTTP header, that are very specific for
AW. Only a little security though.

Changing file permission or ownership cannot change
anything - if the download program cannot access them,
the AW browser will not be able to download them either.

With PHP's support for sessions and/or cookies, I could
think of one more way, to make the path really "quite"
secure. I'm too lazy to implement it though, the best
protection for my own stuff is to make it available for
free - no one can steal anything with that concept *g


[View Quote]

swe

Sep 9, 2002, 8:01pm
i make my own objects, and i wouldnt like it if someone stole my shit, but i
know its impossible to fully protect them from being stolen, and aw already
done almost everything which is both sane, and possible and to prevent
object theft, except for protecting seqs. well life goes on, no reason to
stop doing things you enjoy because someone would steal it. dont see game
companies stop production because people might make copies of there games.
[View Quote]

eep

Sep 10, 2002, 12:21am
[View Quote] > "no-talent, wanna-be"??? LOL You only WISH that Sleepy E was just a
> script kiddie.. :o)

Huh? He is...<shrug>

> If you didn't want someone coming back on you then why mention names??? You
> could have left your statement to read "hackers and script kiddies" and you
> would not have heard from me...

Uh, how am I to know you're screwing HIM this week, Daphne? <shrug>

> Eep, your stuff can always be hacked if it's on the internet... No matter
> what's put in place for "protection" there will always be someone smart
> enough to find a work-around...

Not if the security is designed sufficiently enough...

> You can put that where the sun doesn't shine, dear...

Naw, there's been enough stuff up your ass already, "dear".

ananas

Sep 10, 2002, 3:01am
http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/script+kiddie

doesn't apply for Sleepy E


[View Quote]
And stop playing with the news header fields, asshole

eep

Sep 10, 2002, 3:13am
[View Quote] > http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/script+kiddie
>
> doesn't apply for Sleepy E

Sure it does.

[View Quote] Fuck off.

ananas

Sep 10, 2002, 3:27am
I know it's something you will never learn, Netiquette.

But in case you're curious, here's the RFC about it
http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html

and this is what it says about setting the "follow-ups:"
header field :


> In NetNews parlance, "Posting" refers to posting a new article to a group, or responding to a post
> someone else has posted. "Cross-Posting" refers to posting a message to more than one group. If you
> introduce Cross-Posting to a group, or if you direct "Followup-To:" in the header of your posting, warn
> readers! Readers will usually assume that the message was posted to a specific group and that followups
> will go to that group. Headers change this behavior.

athnex

Sep 10, 2002, 5:41am
I DO make objects, and I understand that you dont want people stealing them.
But you got to realize the way you act is like you dont enjoy the idea of a
'script kiddie' to steal your objects, it seems like you would rather have
an elite hacker to steal them.

[View Quote]

rypp

Sep 10, 2002, 7:09am
I don't think a blank.html file will work. You need to upload a file named
"index.html" or "index.htm" This document will prevent everyone to list
whats on your folder on the net! Just add another "index.html" file in each
folder (directory) to prevent everyone to see whats inside the folders!

You can write whatever you want on that index.html document, just like a
normal web page!
I guess most of you allready know this but just in case someone didn't :-D


"mod" <mod at darkbirdie.com> skrev i melding
news:3d7c7bea$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> It usually helps to put a blank .html file in your directories, this way
> they actually have to work to get the files. Even though they wouldnt get
> the password through the .zip file itself, if they have it, it will take a
> bit more effort to get the objects they want. As for making the pws safer,
> They are pretty damn safe. It takes a lot of skill to get the pw, a lot of
> sniffing the incoming packets being sent by the world server. There are
few
> who can do this, and NONE of them will make a "Program" and give it out to
> people, so that eliminates "script kiddies". As for Sleepy, I know that he
> is 100% against stealing of others objects :)
>
> -Mod
>
[View Quote]

eep

Sep 10, 2002, 7:41am
Good god you're an idiot, Ananas--even moreso than I previously thought. You attempt to talk of netiquette when you don't even follow it yourself by keeping the old subject or even quoting what you're babbling about--er, "replying" to. You're also so clueless that you don't understand the simple concept behind setting followups to a nonexistant newsgroup, which I will leave as an exercise to your QUITE feeble-minded brain.

In short, don't fuck with me. I tire of having to put person after person in their place because they don't know any better--it's quite boring really...

[View Quote] > I know it's something you will never learn, Netiquette.
>
> But in case you're curious, here's the RFC about it
> http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html
>
> and this is what it says about setting the "follow-ups:"
> header field :
>

anduin

Sep 10, 2002, 7:50am
An identity claiming to be known as "athnex" <awnews at athnex.com> scribed the following <3d7da230 at server1.Activeworlds.com> at general.discussion:

>I DO make objects, and I understand that you dont want people stealing them.
>But you got to realize the way you act is like you dont enjoy the idea of a
>'script kiddie' to steal your objects, it seems like you would rather have
>an elite hacker to steal them.

Is that not only natural? I would also rather an elite hacker hack my objects (if I made my own) over a simple script kiddie. Cause if a script kiddie can, ANYONE can.

--
,,,,,
(o o)
/--------------ooO--(_)--Ooo--------------\
| Anduin (317281) |
| o The Gorean Scribe |
| o http://www.anduin-lothario.com |
| o World: GorSJ (18+ Only) |
\--------------ooO-------Ooo--------------/

anduin

Sep 10, 2002, 7:52am
An identity claiming to be known as "rypp" <rypp at usa.com> scribed the following <3d7db6ae at server1.Activeworlds.com> at general.discussion:

>I don't think a blank.html file will work. You need to upload a file named
>"index.html" or "index.htm" This document will prevent everyone to list
>whats on your folder on the net! Just add another "index.html" file in each
>folder (directory) to prevent everyone to see whats inside the folders!
>
>You can write whatever you want on that index.html document, just like a
>normal web page!
>I guess most of you allready know this but just in case someone didn't :-D

Yeah, but if you have a good host, they would know to protect your content by not allowing directory listing in the first place ;o)

--
,,,,,
(o o)
/--------------ooO--(_)--Ooo--------------\
| Anduin (317281) |
| o The Gorean Scribe |
| o http://www.anduin-lothario.com |
| o World: GorSJ (18+ Only) |
\--------------ooO-------Ooo--------------/

johnny b uniquectatoptonline.net

Sep 10, 2002, 9:01am
Dont F*** with him ..... or WHAT ? gonna call him mean names and use every possible swear word in a
post and make yourself look like an even BIGGER loser ?

Oooooo... you're scary.....

Shut up idiot.... nobody gives two shits what you think anyways...

Drive on thru jackass......



>
> In short, don't fuck with me. I tire of having to put person after person in their place because
they don't know any better--it's quite boring really...
>

binarybud

Sep 10, 2002, 11:54am
Eep;
Ignorance must be pointed out(that's YOUR MO Eep) soooooo you ignorant punk
Sleepy is far from a script kiddy your use of the term is way off so you must
be ignorant to the definition......:)

script kiddies pl.n.

1. [very common] The lowest form of cracker; script kiddies do mischief with
scripts and programs written by others, often without understanding the exploit
they are using. Used of people with limited technical expertise using
easy-to-operate, pre-configured, and/or automated tools to conduct disruptive
activities against networked systems. Since most of these tools are fairly
well-known by the security community, the adverse impact of such actions is
usually minimal. 2. People who cannot program, but who create tacky HTML pages
by copying JavaScript routines from other tacky HTML pages. More generally, a
script kiddie writes (or more likely cuts and pastes) code without either having
or desiring to have a mental model of what the code does; someone who thinks of
code as magical incantations and asks only "what do I need to type to make this
happen?"



Soo there ya go honey try and keep up with all this techno stuff so you
sound smarter...ok? :)

next......

Leo :) aka BinaryBud

eep

Sep 10, 2002, 12:02pm
Oh puhleaze...another putz attempting to combat me. Give it up, lamer; you'll NEVER win--EVER. I OWN you...AND your skanky-ho-bitch mother. If you don't give a shit, why did you reply? Oops...you lose. Drive yourself through, fuckputz.

Oh and consider yourself filtered, moron.

[View Quote] > Dont F*** with him ..... or WHAT ? gonna call him mean names and use every possible swear word in a
> post and make yourself look like an even BIGGER loser ?
>
> Oooooo... you're scary.....
>
> Shut up idiot.... nobody gives two shits what you think anyways...
>
> Drive on thru jackass......
>
> they don't know any better--it's quite boring really...

binarybud

Sep 10, 2002, 12:09pm
LOL gets this mental image of a small child sticking his tongue out and
plugging his ears while spewing forth...... na na na na na ........LOL Eep
thanx for the memories....

BB wonders when Eep will ever grow up and show some signs of social respect.

aaaaawwwww that'll never happen Mommy and Daddy were/are way to easy on
him...;)

smooch
Leo :)


[View Quote]

swe

Sep 10, 2002, 12:32pm
i agree, but another thing, when the hell did i say id prefer an elite
superhero hacker then a script kiddie?
[View Quote]

shred

Sep 10, 2002, 1:23pm
You managed to use quite a few swear words yourself. All you're going to end up doing is rousing him further. According to your header, you're using Outlook Express. So if he offends you, just filter him.

[View Quote]

ananas

Sep 10, 2002, 3:50pm
You are unable to "put me in place" because you're way too self-centered.

If you're looking for someone to fuck with you, ask your (only) 5 friends for help.

[View Quote]

eep

Sep 10, 2002, 4:08pm
[View Quote] > You are unable to "put me in place" because you're way too self-centered.

Uh, no, I'm simply confident in my abilities. <shrug>

> If you're looking for someone to fuck with you, ask your (only) 5 friends for help.

Silly foreigner; learn English better, putz. <snicker>

[View Quote]

binarybud

Sep 10, 2002, 4:33pm
[View Quote] Ok Eepless I'm calling you out on this one explain to us illiterates just
exactly what is wrong with his English? You seem to have a "better handle"
than we do with your putz.....:)

LOL

putz? you sure fit the second meaning of this word.

"learn better English, putz."? LOL

Leo :) aka BinaryBud

1  2  |  
Awportals.com is a privately held community resource website dedicated to Active Worlds.
Copyright (c) Mark Randall 2006 - 2022. All Rights Reserved.
Awportals.com   ·   ProLibraries Live   ·   Twitter   ·   LinkedIn