Question: Walking Speed (General Discussion)

Question: Walking Speed // General Discussion

Just a quick question.. does anyone know why the typical walking speed for aw is about 5m/s, and the only way to get realistic speed is to hold down the 5 button (num lock off) to "pause" you as you move ? It just seems strange

Well considering everything in AW is way off scale the 5 m/s rule doesn't apply, I
walk just about as fast as the AV does.

ncc 72897

Aug 30, 2002, 11:38pm
normal walking speed is 14.4 km/h (4 m/s)
ctrl walking speed is 57.6 km/h (16 m/s)

syko

Aug 31, 2002, 12:20am
so when you're walking, you're running and when you're sprinting, you have a
jet pack strapped to your butt?
[View Quote]

ncc 72897

Aug 31, 2002, 1:03am
ROFL

[View Quote]

poseidon

Aug 31, 2002, 2:16am
Would you not get bored and impatient if walking were any slower in AW? :)
As has been decided, it's a game.. walking is slow enough in real life, lol,
and we don't have the use of cars.. so why not let us be able to walk as if
we WERE cars?

Poseidon

[View Quote]

ncc 72897

Aug 31, 2002, 5:39am
I want a faster car then :P

[View Quote]

syntax

Aug 31, 2002, 2:49pm
Hold shift and ctrl, go into mouse mode (not freelook mode) and move your
mouse sideways. That's what I like to call fighter jet fast. :-P Have fun.
--
- Syntax -
http://www.swcity.net

Not Really, we have the problem that AW is majorly out of ratio, if everything was slowed down people would have to build objects smaller and increase CDL to compensate. But just look at pot.rwx its as big as a car.

I call that subwarp :P I just make it so it does it forward
[View Quote]

syko

Aug 31, 2002, 7:57pm
i call it "hold down all them buttons and slide amd go really fast"

[View Quote]

anduin

Aug 31, 2002, 11:35pm
An identity claiming to be known as "poseidon" <doubleagentjsr at aol.com> scribed the following <3d704321 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>Would you not get bored and impatient if walking were any slower in AW? :)
>As has been decided, it's a game.. walking is slow enough in real life, lol,
>and we don't have the use of cars.. so why not let us be able to walk as if
>we WERE cars?

Well, some worlds do have Car avatars, so it suits them :)

,,,,,
(o o)
/--------------ooO--(_)--Ooo--------------\
| Anduin (317281) |
| o The Gorean Scribe |
| o http://www.anduin-lothario.com |
| o World: GorSJ (18+ Only) |
\--------------ooO-------Ooo--------------/

ncc 72897

Sep 1, 2002, 1:05am
You just can't fly a straight line by doing so, it's a zig-zag course.

[View Quote]

athnex

Sep 2, 2002, 6:03pm
Theres a baby cradel in AWTeen, thats bigger then the biggest avatar...
--
Athnex ~
www.athnex.com

DONT SEND SPAM!

i think the real reason that everything looks bigger is because the field
of view in aw is alot smaller then it should be, since its only about 80
degrees, when it should be around 150-180 i believe, cant remeber, maybe its
120-150?
[View Quote]

ncc 72897

Sep 3, 2002, 4:39am
ummm....why did AW reverse the compass? Like 90 for west instead of east?
This is really confusing when you're used to the real one.

> ummm....why did AW reverse the compass? Like 90 for west instead of east?
> This is really confusing when you're used to the real one.

It's called a circle Jeeves. Wherever they want to start North is really only their
concern. If you want to use their software you should learn their system. Not that
I don't agree with you, 90 should be north not east by the way. If 0 were to equal
north (following the standards of measuring a circle) west would be 90.

--Bowen--

ncc 72897

Sep 3, 2002, 12:59pm
A compass shows different. Clock-wise. But ok....

"swe" <swe at emptyco.com> wrote in news:3d742102 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> i think the real reason that everything looks bigger is because the
> field of view in aw is alot smaller then it should be, since its only
> about 80 degrees, when it should be around 150-180 i believe, cant
> remeber, maybe its 120-150?

Actually, it should be around 45-50 degrees. That's the FOV of a human.
When I asked Roland about custom FOV he told me that he wasn't sure if he
at all could do it, and that RW does it based on the viewport's size.