Signatures (was: we should...) (General Discussion)

Signatures (was: we should...) // General Discussion

1  |

syntax

Aug 30, 2002, 3:34am
Personally, I think it's annoying when I have to scroll through a days worth
of discussion to get to your sig quote. (likes reading them me)

So Netscape does that you say? hehe...silly, silly Netscape. As for it
getting in the way, I don't think 3 lines of minimal text will hurt
anything. ;-)
--
- Syntax -
http://www.swcity.net

It... uh... it disrupts the reading flow... yea...

And a hearty *smack* to all you OE fools out there. Non-expiring
threads, suckaz! ;P

[View Quote] > Personally, I think it's annoying when I have to scroll through a days worth
> of discussion to get to your sig quote. (likes reading them me)
>
> So Netscape does that you say? hehe...silly, silly Netscape. As for it
> getting in the way, I don't think 3 lines of minimal text will hurt
> anything. ;-)
> --
> - Syntax -
> http://www.swcity.net
> http://forum.swcity.net <--- OE all the way, baby...

Can you dig it, sucka?
robrod at prism.net

shred

Aug 30, 2002, 9:55am
Mozilla 1.1! Netscape 7's been released, but it's based on an earlier version of Mozilla (1.0.1) and bloated with extra (useless) features.

[View Quote]

tony m

Aug 30, 2002, 11:19am
[View Quote] >Personally, I think it's annoying when I have to scroll through a days worth of discussion to get to your sig quote. (likes reading them me)

>So Netscape does that you say? hehe...silly, silly Netscape.

FreeAgent does the same thing.

> As for it getting in the way, I don't think 3 lines of minimal text will hurt anything. ;-)

--
TonyM.
(I told you Agent does the same thing...)

Features that are easily removed/disabled, btw. Nothing against Mozilla,
but having the Netscape name attached to it at least gives it the
appearance that it's a tried and tested browser (even if it *is*
infected with AOL) rather than a relatively untested open-source
browser. Then again, 6.0 sorta disproved that theory, didn't it? :P

Just call it loyalty, then. :P

Brand loyalty is a fading trend...
robrod at prism.net

shred

Aug 30, 2002, 4:49pm
True, but why should you have to go to the trouble of removing all the AOL spam and other junk? Besides, you can download the Mozilla 1.0 trunk if you're concerned about stability: it's the most stable release of the Mozilla browser. Netscape 7 was based mostly on that build.

"tony m" <ag5v1u7001 at sneakemail.com> wrote in
news:moqumu0uk5mb37cl79b1k3jqavprsvs25a at 4ax.com:

> FreeAgent does the same thing.

But FreeAgent puts the reply in the right spot (under the quoting), right?
That fixes the entire problem. BTW your signature delim is wrong, it should
be dash dash space "-- ".

Its easy to knock out the thread deletion, just use the registery to take it out.

Reread my last sentence. :P

Give me Netscape, or give me... something else!
robrod at prism.net

The point is, you shouldn't *have* to touch the registry. Why OE even
bothers to delete threads is beyond me. :P

Do programmers actually *use* the programs they program?
robrod at prism.net

KAH, I beg of you, before it's too late: Just let it go, man. As if you
weren't already Eep enough... :P

Where's *you're* sig delim, huh? HUH?! :P
robrod at prism.net

MS over-engineering I presume

[View Quote]

shred

Aug 30, 2002, 7:21pm
I did read it. My reply was unaffected: I just stated that if you were concerned with stability issues, you could try the Mozilla 1.0 trunk.

[View Quote]

athnex

Aug 30, 2002, 7:57pm
You can tell it not to delete threads

Must be a relic of old teletype writers that didn't have
"insert" capabilities *g

Newest information on top so you see it at once vs. old
stuff on top so you can read through the chronology, I
think this is just a matter of taste, both have advantages.

As the follow-ups usually follow quite fast, the reference
post should still be available in most cases - easier to
read than the quoted text, so the quoting becomes less
important - except you reply to specific parts of a post -
so I prefer the reply on top.

Some make their posts even more unreadable than bottom-
repliers by placing a lot of crap above the original post,
well, their style. Let's not be more catholic than the
pope.

[View Quote]

tony m

Aug 30, 2002, 9:13pm
[View Quote] >"tony m" <ag5v1u7001 at sneakemail.com> wrote in
>news:moqumu0uk5mb37cl79b1k3jqavprsvs25a at 4ax.com:
>

>But FreeAgent puts the reply in the right spot (under the quoting), right?

No, it will put it on the bottom of the entire message. I don't have control over placement [if I let Agent do it].

>That fixes the entire problem. BTW your signature delim is wrong, it should
>be dash dash space "-- ".

.... *cough*USENETGEEK*cough*

>KAH

I see you don't even have your signature delimeter...

One advantage Netscape has over Mozilla: A spell checker! :P

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Very important tool in this most hazardous of environments...
robrod at prism.net

shred

Aug 31, 2002, 8:29pm
Actually, Mozilla does have a spell checking module for download, which I have installed. There are no spelling errors in my post that I am aware of.

Yes, but Netscape comes with it already installed. :P

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Guess that's part of the "bloated" features. :P
robrod at prism.net

shred

Aug 31, 2002, 8:40pm
Why should it come pre-installed? Customized installation is much more efficient, especially for those of us with severely limited bandwidth. Unless you can't specify which components to download and install during Netscape's installation, I wouldn't bother with mindlessly downloading *all* of the installation files.

"shred" <alexraven at 1starnet.com> wrote in
news:3d7145ef at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Why should it come pre-installed? Customized installation is much more
> efficient, especially for those of us with severely limited bandwidth.
> Unless you can't specify which components to download and install
> during Netscape's installation, I wouldn't bother with mindlessly
> downloading *all* of the installation files.

Actually, the NS installer isn't like most installers, you download a small
app that downloads the components you want and then installs them. But lets
stop fighting over what's best of Mozilla and NS, they're family lol.

KAH

shred

Aug 31, 2002, 9:43pm
[View Quote] That's the kind of installer I was talking about. I was assuming that the NS installer came in one gargantuan file - like many (if not most) do.

Like you said, Netscape is based off Mozilla, and that includes the
installer. Netscape just gives you more stuff to turn on or off.

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Too bad it doesn't include that verdammy AOL icon. :P
robrod at prism.net