bot host (General Discussion)

bot host // General Discussion

1  |

maki

Aug 12, 2002, 12:33am
hi, does anyone or anyone know anyone who hosts bots? maybe for free? :\ I'd
do it myself, I have broadband and a good new computer and such..but my
computer is just a *tiny* bit loud, and right in my room, annoying, will
bots/internet connection keep going if the hd is shutdown? I know standby
doesn't work, it disconnects everything...stops all programs...help,
suggestions, flames, whatever :-)

--
maki www.awmaki.com

dion

Aug 12, 2002, 12:41am
buy an extremely bad computer and put a cheap HDD in there. Hook it up to
your computer via a network card and put it in another room where you can
leave it on. Of course, you'll have to put the connection on the other
computer and leave that on all the time. Or what would be better is to just
replace your HDD or (what's more likely making the noise) the fans. Some
fans can even be disconnected without causing any difference to the speed or
reliability.

[View Quote]

anduin

Aug 12, 2002, 2:29am
In a galaxy far far away, known as general.discussion, an identity
claiming to be known as "maki" <maki at awmaki.com> scribed the
following:

>hi, does anyone or anyone know anyone who hosts bots? maybe for free? :\ I'd
>do it myself, I have broadband and a good new computer and such..but my
>computer is just a *tiny* bit loud, and right in my room, annoying, will
>bots/internet connection keep going if the hd is shutdown? I know standby
>doesn't work, it disconnects everything...stops all programs...help,
>suggestions, flames, whatever :-)

I can only suggest for you to take a look at the site I found at
http://www.pccasegear.com.au (yes, I'm in Australia, you'll need to
find something in the U.S), and that you look at the link 'Fan Control
(http://www.pccasegear.com.au/category18_1.htm)'.

There you can find fan controllers which allow you to check your CPU
temperature as well as slow down or turn off fans without even having
to open your case every time. They cost as low as $125 AUS (around $60
US) and do a great job :)

Take a look at the rest of the site by the way, so many cool things to
make yourself a 'show off' with your computer and casing.

,,,,,
(o o)
/--------------ooO--(_)--Ooo--------------\
| Anduin (317281) |
| o The Gorean Scribe |
| o http://www.anduin-lothario.com |
| o World: GorSJ (18+ Only) |
\--------------ooO-------Ooo--------------/

builderz

Aug 12, 2002, 2:48am
Anduin is talking about "fan buses" or "bay buses." They are pieces of
hardware that allow you to turn certain fans on or off inside of your
computer, thus reducing the noise or "whine" of the fans. Besides using
those, you could get some sound proofing products made to be put inside
of computer cases (prices are around $15 - $35 USD). Other options
include moving the system to another area or putting on noise canceling
headphones when the noise irritates you.

-Builderz

[View Quote]

ptolemy

Aug 12, 2002, 3:22am
Why didnt you ask me maki? Ill do it. Ive already got 5 can get more lol.

[View Quote]

maki

Aug 12, 2002, 3:22am
well, that's great and all, but I tested it, the cpu fan is only a small
bit, and it's more muffled when encased, so it's a very small sound, along
with the power supply fan, that's nothing - I unplugged the cpu fan and it
is my hd, it emits a high pitched sound, kind of hard to explain, but it's
very annoying, I don't know why it does it...sound of it spinning, oh well
:\

maki

Aug 12, 2002, 3:26am
that's a very good question pt, very good question...

[View Quote]

chazrad

Aug 12, 2002, 5:37am
"maki" <maki at awmaki.com> wrote in
news:3d57461a at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> well, that's great and all, but I tested it, the cpu fan is only a
> small bit, and it's more muffled when encased, so it's a very small
> sound, along with the power supply fan, that's nothing - I unplugged
> the cpu fan and it is my hd, it emits a high pitched sound, kind of
> hard to explain, but it's very annoying, I don't know why it does
> it...sound of it spinning, oh well
>:\

buy a seagate barracuda they r comp-letely noisfree

builderz

Aug 12, 2002, 12:49pm
I agree with chazrad. The Seagate Barracuda drives are extremely quiet,
even when the drive is seeking. If you don't want to go buy an entire
new drive, you could buy an enclosure for the drive that tries to dampen
its sound. Just look through some PC hardware and/or overclocking sites
and you'll find one.

-Builderz

[View Quote] > buy a seagate barracuda they r comp-letely noisfree

john

Aug 13, 2002, 5:16pm
Easy to solve.. send me your hd and i'll stop it making the nosie.....

*prepares sledge hammer*

.....:D

[View Quote]

maki