What is Vaporware? (General Discussion)

What is Vaporware? // General Discussion

1  |

yanst

Aug 3, 2002, 1:13am
What is Vaporware?

eep

Aug 3, 2002, 1:32am
Software rumored about that has never seen the light of day. Examples: Duke Nukem Forever, Jetta Lewis' "new universe", Cyboria, etc.

[View Quote] > What is Vaporware?

dion

Aug 3, 2002, 1:43am
Cyboria? Er... That wasn't cancelled was it?!

[View Quote]

the derek

Aug 3, 2002, 5:23am
not that i know of... eep probably doesnt believe it wont happen though

but its not like he doesnt have a reason. you cant get excited about cyboria
cause there have been at least 20 "universes" start but NONE have
finished... cybroia is the first to actually have any testing that i know of
[View Quote]

dion

Aug 3, 2002, 5:53am
Cyboria's the only one that isn't a direct replica of Active Worlds. Or
worse, Active Worlds with a few missing features (to make it look like it's
a different program altogether).

[View Quote]

john

Aug 3, 2002, 8:54am
Aren't you forgetting www.chatzone3d.co.uk?

That isn't a direcst replica... its going to have better features.. maybe it
is a replica but it's going to be missing a few of aw's errors.... i.e.
light travelling through walls.... isn't that impossible since light travels
ina straight line and there is a huge wall in the way? :P

[View Quote]

yanst

Aug 3, 2002, 3:06pm
Jetta lewis, I hope your Vaporware Universe can be persuaded off the shelf
and loaded onto a hard drive. I'm curious to see it as I'm sure is everyone
else. Also would be nice to see the state worlds back.

[View Quote]

dion

Aug 3, 2002, 3:45pm
Eh, that's kinda borderline. It looks a lot like AW and even the titlebar is
completely identical to AW's. I don't like it, it's created with AW in mind
and therefore makes it too much like AW.

[View Quote]

maki

Aug 3, 2002, 4:31pm
no it doesnt, it looks like a replica of cyboria to me :)

--
maki www.awmaki.com

[View Quote]

dion

Aug 3, 2002, 5:04pm
Cyboria has basically none of those features. Cyboria is very lacking in
features right now. Which is why it's under alpha testing ;-)

[View Quote]

eep

Aug 3, 2002, 5:59pm
No, but do you see it released yet? Supposedly it's in beta testing but can you test it? I can't; hence, it's vaporware to me.

[View Quote] > Cyboria? Er... That wasn't cancelled was it?!

[View Quote]

eep

Aug 3, 2002, 6:00pm
The problem with most of these AW clones is that they don't have the one thing that sets AW apart from every other program out there (game or app): real-time multi-user building. Until these clones can at LEAST do that they simply won't be able to compete with AW.

[View Quote] > Cyboria's the only one that isn't a direct replica of Active Worlds. Or
> worse, Active Worlds with a few missing features (to make it look like it's
> a different program altogether).

[View Quote]

eep

Aug 3, 2002, 6:01pm
Chatzone is also vaporware in the sense that it's still in beta testing (albeit seemingly further along than Cyboria and most of the other AW clones that have come and gone over the years) but it still doesn't have real-time multi-user (or even single-user) building; it's basically floundering.

[View Quote] > Aren't you forgetting www.chatzone3d.co.uk?

> That isn't a direcst replica... its going to have better features.. maybe it
> is a replica but it's going to be missing a few of aw's errors.... i.e.
> light travelling through walls.... isn't that impossible since light travels
> ina straight line and there is a huge wall in the way? :P

[View Quote]

dion

Aug 3, 2002, 7:01pm
*shrug* okies. :-P All ya gotta do is talk to Derek and you can alpha test
it. :-) There's not much to see and do but chat and look around the only
world that's there (Imagica). The programmers are doing a total revamp of
the program to make it all C++ and Delphi (I'm pretty sure...) and when that
version comes out, there is going to be multi-user building I think. It will
also mark the end of tha alpha testing and start the beginning of beta
testing. They've been doing it for a couple months now. It should be out
soon but I guess you'd have to talk to Derek about that. :-P

I'm really excited with Cyboria's potential. Derek seems to be very
motivated with this and has tons of great ideas that will clearly show a
line between Cyboria and Active Worlds. One of the features right now that
sets it apart from Active Worlds is the ability to jump. It's more of a low
gravity jump but it's a jump nonetheless. I think that Cyboria will have
more of a gaming audience. While the building will be rather simple, there's
lots of ideas for bots and games. One major difference that allows for
gaming is the way people move. In Active Worlds, the exact position of each
person is not a top priority. Active Worlds is more worried about keeping
everything smooth whereas Cyboria can be rather jumpy to make sure that each
person sees others at the exact position they are standing at. That means
you'll need a fast connection to play games smoothly but at the same time,
you can chat without a problem on any connection.

So Cyboria will be a fairly general type of program. It'll give much more
support than Active Worlds in game design and playing games but still give
plenty to allow for the more common worlds in Active Worlds like building
and exploring worlds.

But you are right, if the programmers don't keep themselves motivated to
work on it, it doesn't matter what their plans are. Lots of people have the
greatest ideas but never follow them up. I hope that's not the case with
Cyboria.

-Dion

[View Quote]

joeman

Aug 3, 2002, 7:33pm
Haha, C++ and Delphi. Good one ;P.

-Joe

[View Quote]

dion

Aug 3, 2002, 8:17pm
uh-oh! Did I say something stupid? Cause if I did, I'm too stupid to notice
it.

[View Quote]

eep

Aug 3, 2002, 8:44pm
Chatzone has jumping too. Regardless, until EITHER app gets real-time building, they won't be able to compete with AW much, if at all. How long has Cyboria been in alpha testing? Much longer than Chatzone has been, I believe. Cyboria is even more vaporware that Chatzone is.

[View Quote] > *shrug* okies. :-P All ya gotta do is talk to Derek and you can alpha test
> it. :-) There's not much to see and do but chat and look around the only
> world that's there (Imagica). The programmers are doing a total revamp of
> the program to make it all C++ and Delphi (I'm pretty sure...) and when that
> version comes out, there is going to be multi-user building I think. It will
> also mark the end of tha alpha testing and start the beginning of beta
> testing. They've been doing it for a couple months now. It should be out
> soon but I guess you'd have to talk to Derek about that. :-P
>
> I'm really excited with Cyboria's potential. Derek seems to be very
> motivated with this and has tons of great ideas that will clearly show a
> line between Cyboria and Active Worlds. One of the features right now that
> sets it apart from Active Worlds is the ability to jump. It's more of a low
> gravity jump but it's a jump nonetheless. I think that Cyboria will have
> more of a gaming audience. While the building will be rather simple, there's
> lots of ideas for bots and games. One major difference that allows for
> gaming is the way people move. In Active Worlds, the exact position of each
> person is not a top priority. Active Worlds is more worried about keeping
> everything smooth whereas Cyboria can be rather jumpy to make sure that each
> person sees others at the exact position they are standing at. That means
> you'll need a fast connection to play games smoothly but at the same time,
> you can chat without a problem on any connection.
>
> So Cyboria will be a fairly general type of program. It'll give much more
> support than Active Worlds in game design and playing games but still give
> plenty to allow for the more common worlds in Active Worlds like building
> and exploring worlds.
>
> But you are right, if the programmers don't keep themselves motivated to
> work on it, it doesn't matter what their plans are. Lots of people have the
> greatest ideas but never follow them up. I hope that's not the case with
> Cyboria.

[View Quote]

joeman

Aug 3, 2002, 9:12pm
I don't think Derek can grasp anything other than VB. We shall see if his
"secure" and more "complex" protocol passes the test. I doubt it will. His
last one was all over the place, was a headache to document. Also, his
"secure" protocol will most likely be some crappy planet-source-code type
encryption system. I cant wait for a new toy to play with. :D

-Joe

[View Quote]

lord perception

Aug 3, 2002, 10:21pm
[View Quote] No apparently it has _not_ been cancelled, well atleast... yet.
Apparently progress is currently slow and they are running into some small
problems it would seem by reading the forums at
http://www.cyboriacommunity.org

In my personal view, it will take many years yet, before we see a viable
alternative to ActiveWorlds, if ever. These projects take enormous effort,
expertise, dedication and time, and it seems highly likely that anyone
starting a project without these by them selves or only in a very small
team(2-3) will fail because of lost interest 6 or so months later.

dion

Aug 3, 2002, 11:50pm
o.O Well I wish I could make a 3D engine... VB or not! LOL :-P

[View Quote]

joeman

Aug 4, 2002, 2:02am
If you think Derek made that 3D engine, your sadly mistaken. What he made
is nothing impressive. Its just a commercial 3D engine with some lame VB
programming...

-Joe

[View Quote]

dion

Aug 4, 2002, 2:03am
Alright, alright. Enough bad-mouthing Derek behind his back now.

[View Quote]

dion

Aug 4, 2002, 7:06am
Actually, Microsoft is really good about not pushing things. They just give
you a load of crap that should still be in beta testing :-P

[View Quote]

builderz

Aug 4, 2002, 2:50pm
Check out PlasticPlanet 3D at http://pp.pl2.com/ and see my FAQ about it
at http://www.3dhost.net/pp3d/. The creator is working on the world
server at this time I believe. Right now you can build, but changes do
not stay and only you can see them locally.

-Builderz

[View Quote]

ohhhmy

Aug 4, 2002, 4:37pm
I take it from your post about Plastic Planet 3D that it operates much
like running any of the AW like browsers in local mode. You can do all
sorts of building buit as soon as you walk far enough away and come back
it has all gone poof. Well.... At least with that type of building it
does afford you the opportunity to PRACTICE BUILD a little... lol
Too bad there isn't a way to run the bot in local mode as well to
preserve your best of the practice builds so you can use them later
should the REAL building start. lol
=======================================
"builderz" <sawran at yahoo.com> wrote in news:3D4D55C0.6BC91A8C at yahoo.com:

> Check out PlasticPlanet 3D at http://pp.pl2.com/ and see my FAQ about
> it at http://www.3dhost.net/pp3d/. The creator is working on the world
> server at this time I believe. Right now you can build, but changes do
> not stay and only you can see them locally.
>
> -Builderz

builderz

Aug 4, 2002, 5:32pm
You are semi correct. PlasticPlanet 3D (PP3D for short) cannot be run
without first connecting to a central server. It cannot be run off-line
or in "local mode" at this point in time. When you start the program, it
asks you for a username and a password. Pick anything you want that has
not already been taken, click "Logon," and it should connect to the
server and load the default world.

Right now, there is only one main world. You *can* build while connected
to the world, but there are only three or so editable objects there at
this point in time. You can move them, rotate them, click on them, etc.
Here is where things differ. Currently, when you build or edit an
object, the changes take effect only to you, not others around you. The
changes are not stored on the server, nor locally on your system. The
objects appear the way they were before you edited them. So you can mess
with them to your heart's delight, close PP3D, start it again and the
objects will revert back to their normal place.

The lead programmer of PP3D was on vacation for a few weeks. Like I said
before, he is working on the server aspect of the software. This will
allow objects to stay changed when users log on or off, support more
than one world, allow changes to be seen by other users, etc. One last
thing; you mentioned bots. To my knowledge, there are no bots available
for PP3D yet.

-Builderz

[View Quote]

ohhhmy

Aug 4, 2002, 5:44pm
You said one heck of a mouthful on that last thing.....
"There are no BOTS YET"

You don't know the power of a Xylgot bot or Preston....
Sooner or later [I suspect sooner] there will be BOTS running around in
there. lol
> The lead programmer of PP3D was on vacation for a few weeks. Like I
> said before, he is working on the server aspect of the software. This
> will allow objects to stay changed when users log on or off, support
> more than one world, allow changes to be seen by other users, etc. One
> last thing; you mentioned bots. To my knowledge, there are no bots
> available for PP3D yet.
>
> -Builderz

eep

Aug 4, 2002, 5:46pm
Yea, well, let us know when it's actually worth using. But at least it seems closer to AW than Chatzone and Cyboria anyway....

[View Quote] > You are semi correct. PlasticPlanet 3D (PP3D for short) cannot be run
> without first connecting to a central server. It cannot be run off-line
> or in "local mode" at this point in time. When you start the program, it
> asks you for a username and a password. Pick anything you want that has
> not already been taken, click "Logon," and it should connect to the
> server and load the default world.
>
> Right now, there is only one main world. You *can* build while connected
> to the world, but there are only three or so editable objects there at
> this point in time. You can move them, rotate them, click on them, etc.
> Here is where things differ. Currently, when you build or edit an
> object, the changes take effect only to you, not others around you. The
> changes are not stored on the server, nor locally on your system. The
> objects appear the way they were before you edited them. So you can mess
> with them to your heart's delight, close PP3D, start it again and the
> objects will revert back to their normal place.
>
> The lead programmer of PP3D was on vacation for a few weeks. Like I said
> before, he is working on the server aspect of the software. This will
> allow objects to stay changed when users log on or off, support more
> than one world, allow changes to be seen by other users, etc. One last
> thing; you mentioned bots. To my knowledge, there are no bots available
> for PP3D yet.

[View Quote]

john

Aug 6, 2002, 9:31pm
Problem: Cyboria didnt exist when chatzone was started