Cy Awards Nomination Status (General Discussion)

Cy Awards Nomination Status // General Discussion

1  |

alphabit phalpha

Jun 25, 2002, 3:27pm
Dear Activeworlds Community,

To date we have received 128 nomination emails! Yayyyyyy!
That times 13 categories=1664 nominations!
Of course, not everyone in nominating in each category.

If you have not placed your nomination please don't miss the deadline of
this Saturday.
Nominations can be placed at www.awcommunity.org/cyawards

Thank you for your tremendous support!

Sincerely,

The Cy Team

CY's are CommunitY:)

glitter kitty

Jun 26, 2002, 2:49pm
Something just occured to me so I went to check the nomination page. How do
you prevent people voting on behalf of others? I mean the criteria you use
is Name, citnum and email address ... if you go through the NG posts for
example you get two of those and the citnum you get just by adding the
contact to your list ... whammo you can vote on their behalf. If you use a
cgi proxy (most people should use an http anonymiser these days ... I said
should) so you wont even get the same ISP each time ...

How is this system secure exactly? I know you'll say you depend on honesty
but hey it only takes one dishonest person like insanity for example to do
such an easy thing ... just curious ...

Before you go calling me a hacker or anything, I'm not ... its just a bloody
great big hole in your system that anyone with an ounce of brains can see
.... of course anyone without an ounce of brains can also see it now lol!!

Glitter

[View Quote]

binarybud

Jun 26, 2002, 2:59pm
ok so now your done attacking insanity and your going for the CY's ? what
the hell is wrong with you? Who shit in your cheerios? you the one that
talks of community? you need to find something better to do with your
time. try positive thinking for a while maybe.

Leo :)

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

Jun 26, 2002, 3:19pm
Dear litter kitty,

We have a secure system that is confidential.
I will say though, that you are welcome to ask any previous nominators
about how they are approched in your scenario you presented here.
Personally, I prefer to spend my time in this playground in a positive
way. And trust people and their honesty.
I am now formally requesting that you stop attacking the Cy Awards with
false accusations.

Thank you,
Bit:)

alphabit phalpha

Jun 26, 2002, 3:24pm
ermmmm...I meant glitter kitty:)
oops:)

[View Quote] We have a secure system that is confidential.
I will say though, that you are welcome to ask any previous nominators
about how they are approched in your scenario you presented here.
Personally, I prefer to spend my time in this playground in a positive
way. And trust people and their honesty.
I am now formally requesting that you stop attacking the Cy Awards with
false accusations.

Thank you,
Bit:)

Just watch. Next she'll be accusing AlphaBit of being a pedophile. ;P

As for the "security hole", what does it matter? It's just nominations,
not the actual voting process. As far as I know, the only reason that
they require you put in your citizen information is to prove that your a
citizen, not to uniquely identify each nomination. Perhaps AlphaBit
could clarify?

[View Quote] > ok so now your done attacking insanity and your going for the CY's ? what
> the hell is wrong with you? Who shit in your cheerios? you the one that
> talks of community? you need to find something better to do with your
> time. try positive thinking for a while maybe.
>
> Leo :)

And they say HE has too much free time!
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

alphabit phalpha

Jun 26, 2002, 3:34pm
Yes Goober King,

These are nominations so that people will be on the list for the
Selection Committee to select for the Community voting.
And to limit to citizens only.
In the past we allowed tourists to vote, but because some worlds don't
allow tourists, it wouldn't work anymore.
We will however have tourists allowed in Cyawards world for the events:)

glitter kitty

Jun 27, 2002, 1:32am
I know security for this is not all that important ... its not like you are
protecting a bank or anything like Goober correctly stated. My comment was
about preventing people impersonating others. Before you act so smugly (yet
again), I think you need to look at something like www.anonymiser.com like I
pointed out before ... these are public cgi proxies ... eg they return false
http details (referrer, IP, browser type, etc) and sometimes even nothing in
order to mask the original user to maintain their privacy ... the new
anonymiser uses the US defence depts onion skin protocols which even (as
well as) change the ip returned for every single item downloaded for a
webpage. They even accept/return/destroy cookies depending on your desired
response to the website. This is not a hacking tool ... public or cgi
proxies are userd by at least 15% of surfers these days. To put this in
context ... how many false nominations did you recieve yesterday (try to
ignore the obvious person reposting the same thing by accident) ... can you
accurately know the answer? I did websecurity for several years ... you only
have a limited selection of verification tools .... anonymisers simulate ALL
of them. Online voting can only be secured (assuming its important enough)
by https ... not http.

I would recommend everyone use a public proxy of some kind while web
browsing or something like the cgi one above ... they provide you with a
secure surfing environment, prevent the running of http based host scripts
and a number of other anti-hacker and spyware devices used by webmasters.
Surfing without a proxy these days is akin to unsafe sex ... that said it
took the AIDS scare a good 15 years to convince the public safe sex should
be the rule not the exception.

[View Quote]

just in

Jun 27, 2002, 6:51am
Another excuse posting to discredit Insanity...

Glitter Kitty... knock it off already!

Justin

[View Quote]

just in

Jun 27, 2002, 6:51am
hmmm please no more!

[View Quote]

bitmaster

Jun 28, 2002, 12:24am
[View Quote] > I would recommend everyone use a public proxy of some kind while web
> browsing or something like the cgi one above ... they provide you with a
> secure surfing environment, prevent the running of http based host scripts
> and a number of other anti-hacker and spyware devices used by webmasters.
> Surfing without a proxy these days is akin to unsafe sex ... that said it
> took the AIDS scare a good 15 years to convince the public safe sex should
> be the rule not the exception.

On behalf of the CyAwards:

If you feel that the event is not up to par to your standards, the
polite way of making a suggestion would be to contact one of the core
members of the Cy Awards with your requests or thoughts so that we might
calmly discuss the matter and have a meeting to determine the value of your
request. If there is something you do not like, then tell us and then it
would also be nice if you could offer a valuable solution that may remedy
the problem. Granted that we can not address every situation to satisfy all
people and will do our best to compromise for the major part of the
Community.
All personal matters must be handled outside of the CyAwards, no matter
what the subject. If the "Community" as a whole has a problem with a
member, then the Community has the chance to vote or not vote for that
member. If your hearts change afterward, then do what you think is right
during the next voting process to make you feel better about it.
If a member of the CyAwards creates a problem within the CyAwards that
is directly against the core or the expectations of a member within, they
will be at the mercy of the core's decisions at that time. ;)

On a personal Note:

Buyer beware:

When dealing with Online business, it is best to do a little homework
before doing any business with them at all...(Common Sense) If you cannot
find the proper information, then you are dealing with a business at your
own risk.
If both parties feel they have to defend themselves within an open NG
forum, then I believe both parties are at fault and should deal with it in
a more professional means other than the NG's. In my definition of Fault, I
mean, both have contributed to these newsgroups and have instantly both lost
my interest in any seriousness of any acts between them. ( Meaning it sounds
to me that they both have lowered to a very personal involvement and this
has nothing to do with me or the CyAwards. (see above)

To Glitter Kitty,

I admire your consistency. :) You certainly have shown you can maintain
your posture in the NG's. I'm taking note of this for when I need a
partner on my side of a debate. We'll try and make it more structured
though and something a bit more important than one person's education and
one person's business ethics, ok? ;)
Personally, I am not happy about the situation, it is a sad thing, but I
have no sympathy for either party on the way they dealt with things. This
will probably be my last thoughts on this for I need to move onto things
that do concern me. Take care.

Sincerely
Bits

just in

Jun 28, 2002, 1:50am
I agree, and want to add...

So two parties have a dispute and disagreement, fine - let them sort it out.
No other comments are needed because they do not have all the facts nor any
evidence to back it up.

In no particular order... johnny b, bowen, young phalpha, binary bud,
glitter kitty, (and even me)... there are far too many posts on this thread
debating minor issues about things we do not have the full details about...
so leave it alone!

Insanity and Ambivelent - please resolve this! If I may be so bold...
Insanity deliver some avatars or a refund! Ambivelent calm down!

Regards, Justin

glitter kitty

Jun 28, 2002, 2:58am
> If you feel that the event is not up to par to your standards, the
> polite way of making a suggestion would be to contact one of the core
> members of the Cy Awards with your requests or thoughts so that we might
> calmly discuss the matter and have a meeting to determine the value of
your
> request.

I did .. it was ignored ... so in the light of this I sought public comment
.... I believe thats called due process.

> All personal matters must be handled outside of the CyAwards, no
matter
> what the subject. If the "Community" as a whole has a problem with a
> member, then the Community has the chance to vote or not vote for that
> member. If your hearts change afterward, then do what you think is right
> during the next voting process to make you feel better about it.

I believe we've said we will do that already.

I feel the situation started because Alpha treated my initial request (which
was completely out of concern) with contempt. I do not take kindly to such
treatment and felt the only recourse I had (seeing as she was in charge) was
to continue publically. I would have been more than happy to follow your
advice (in fact I'd give that advice myself).

> To Glitter Kitty,
>
> I admire your consistency. :) You certainly have shown you can
maintain
> your posture in the NG's. I'm taking note of this for when I need a
> partner on my side of a debate. We'll try and make it more structured
> though and something a bit more important than one person's education and
> one person's business ethics, ok? ;)

Sure no problem ... I was just about to say the same of you ... heh ... I
feel much better now (argh I dont believe I'm saying this) about the
committee seeing your constructive response! If the rest of the committee
follows your philosophy I have no problem with it ... unfortunately they
havent seemed to, to date ... perhaps you could have a chat to them?
<hopeful look>

regards,

Glitter

(on holiday and posting via dial up(yuk) so cant reply as quick as before)

binarybud

Jun 28, 2002, 11:12am
aaaaa well It's "BinaryBud" one word, no space :) there is an
imposter about usng the two word version please take note..:)

oh and BTW i also have the right to post whatever i want.....no one tells
me to "leave it alone" if we all just "leave it alone" then what do we have?
hehehehehe a bunch of head noding zombies.

But hey...thanx for your concern anyhow...:)

respectfully
Leo :)

[View Quote]

just in

Jun 28, 2002, 10:14pm
(Leo)

*makes note in pad... BinaryBud BinaryBud BinaryBud... one word only...
refrain from critising comments!*

Duly noted....

~ Justin

[View Quote]

computerizer

Jun 30, 2002, 3:08am
Actually, it doesn't really matter WHO made the nominations, just that
the nominations were made (you can nominate yourself or others)...

-Computerizer

"glitter kitty" <seanderson at iprimus.com.au> wrote in
news:3d19f0b0 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Something just occured to me so I went to check the nomination page.
> How do you prevent people voting on behalf of others? I mean the
> criteria you use is Name, citnum and email address ... if you go
> through the NG posts for example you get two of those and the citnum
> you get just by adding the contact to your list ... whammo you can
> vote on their behalf. If you use a cgi proxy (most people should use
> an http anonymiser these days ... I said should) so you wont even get
> the same ISP each time ...
>
> How is this system secure exactly? I know you'll say you depend on
> honesty but hey it only takes one dishonest person like insanity for
> example to do such an easy thing ... just curious ...
>
> Before you go calling me a hacker or anything, I'm not ... its just a
> bloody great big hole in your system that anyone with an ounce of
> brains can see ... of course anyone without an ounce of brains can
> also see it now lol!!
>
> Glitter

[View Quote]

binarybud