Something i noticed about scale in AW (General Discussion)

Something i noticed about scale in AW // General Discussion

1  |

pc maniak

May 17, 2002, 5:06pm
Hi,

According to aw, one object 'click' ie: a single move in any direction is 1
meter...
this makes say a pp01.rwx object 4 meters high, making the avs 3.5 meters
tall

I dont know about you lot, but i think sum1 skewed up.

I thought the idea of AW (well, one of them at least) was to provide a
REALISTIC enviroment, well perhaps they should rethink their object scale
ratio..

Pc Maniak (334479)
Check out my world, "Maniak!!"

andras

May 17, 2002, 5:19pm
Well,,, according to AW is a click equals 50 cm (0.5 meter)

Andras

[View Quote]

binarybud

May 17, 2002, 6:05pm
yes i always thought it was half a meter per click.....:)

Not directly relating to the actually previous post.. but ive noticed that
with the current setup of most people that the 3d looks out of proportion
and its only when I set my window to No Whisper, toolbar, tabs, web and chat
screen, that it looks in proportin and more realistic... in short.. it looks
better with a bigger 3d screen <Hint> Full Screen Mode </Hint>

-Mark

just in

May 18, 2002, 1:57am
PC M....

Repeating previous posts, one click is 0.5 meters. A pp01.rwx is 4 meters
high. Average human avatar hieght is around 1.75 meters (which is slightly
shorter than the real world) and you can stand next to a pp01 in 3rd person
mode to see the comparison. If you place an object at 2 meters above a walk
rwx most avatars can walk under it without hitting their head.

My compact object yard in Alpha 490S 385W has object sizes written into the
description field of each object if you want some help.

Regards, Justin

Where do you live? The average height of a human depends
much on your location. Closer to the horizon, people have
to be way shorter, because the sky comes closer to the
ground there

================= <= sky
/ O
/o X
/ X X
======================= <= ground
^
-- tall person, closer to equator
^
--------- short person, close to horizon
^
------------ horizon

[View Quote]

dion

May 18, 2002, 4:59am
say what? O_O Does that make any sense?

Of course it makes sense, ask the ancient people in
Skandinavia, they knew about it. I learned it from
the Kalevala, a great but hard to read book.
(thanks, Count Dracula :)

[View Quote]

anduin

May 18, 2002, 8:05am
Hmm, interesting... But how does the sky get down lower whe the Earth is
round and the sky has no limit. You must be meaning the clouds are much
lower on more days than here. But then again, if I went over to where the
sky is 'supposedly' lower, how come I don't get squashed down?
Could be more of something to do with slight changes in GRAVITY, not
something to do with the sky.... Seems much more realistic to me.

--
Anduin
Citizen 317281

The earth is round?

[View Quote]

anduin

May 18, 2002, 11:34am
Not round technically, but looking at it from space, yes.
Still doesn't answer the theory on the sky being lower.

--
Anduin
Citizen 317281
http://www.anduin-lothario.com

[View Quote]

johnny b

May 18, 2002, 1:27pm
Ha ! :OD good one !

johnny b

May 18, 2002, 1:28pm
twas a joke ;O)

coryashire

May 18, 2002, 8:26pm
lets stop being stupid k

but let's not stop humor :)

[View Quote]

anduin

May 18, 2002, 11:07pm
[View Quote] Bloody h*ll. Now if that was truly a joke, you got me; I must be gullible.

--
Anduin
Citizen 317281
http://www.anduin-lothario.com

:)

anduin

May 19, 2002, 5:12am
BAH HUMBUG!
lol

[View Quote]

pc hamster

May 21, 2002, 1:14am
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] Not entirely accurate...

> this makes say a pp01.rwx object 4 meters high, making the avs 3.5 meters
> tall

If avatars on AlphaWorld are THAT tall, I had better RAISE the new bridges I
just laid down in the City of Hamsterville as the North Pratt Boulevard
bridge at 5077N 235E is 4.0 meters off the ground and only about 2.0 meters
above the two roads which consist of the Riverside Expressway. Don't
believe me?? Take a look for yourselves (OFFENSIVE SIGN POSTING TROLLS NEED
NOT RESPOND!!).

> I dont know about you lot, but i think sum1 skewed up.

Umm....yeah I dun gone think you did Maniac 'cause I can go under the
aforementioned bridge with ease in both directions (East & West). :-)

> I thought the idea of AW (well, one of them at least) was to provide a
> REALISTIC enviroment, well perhaps they should rethink their object scale
> ratio..

This is supposedly coming in 3.3 (I hope!) :-)

Cheers for now everyone :-)

Patrick Cook
Mayor - City of Hamsterville
pchamster at msn.com
Denver, Colorado
http://home.talkcity.com/MinivanAve/patrick32/

3 Things...

1) That picture tells me absolutely nothing. It's just a couple roads
with water running down the middle. What does that have to do with
avatar height?

2) Why didn't you just provide the link and leave it at that? People are
going to care about this for a "LIMITED TIME ONLY", so why put it in a post?

3) You didn't have to do a complete screen capture. You could have
easily gone into Paint or some such program and cut out just the 3D view
part. Learn to crop!! That think took entirely too long to load!

[View Quote] > Hi everyone:

> BINARY ATTACHMENT ALERT - This post has a JPEG picute attached to it. If
> you cannot see it or don't want to wait for the download, please move on to
> the next message in the group.
>
> Having said that....Just to give ya an example of this (as if most people
> don't already know), this is roughly what I was referring to. If you cannot
> decode the attachment, it will be made available for viewing at
> http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/prattbridge.jpg FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY!!!
>
> Patrick
>
> ======BEGIN BINARY ATTACHMENT=======

Ye gods, that was painful!
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

anduin

May 21, 2002, 10:01pm
In a galaxy far far away, known as general.discussion, an identify
claiming to be known as "pc hamster" <pchamster at email.msn.com> scribed
the following:
>Hi everyone:
>
>BINARY ATTACHMENT ALERT - This post has a JPEG picute attached to it. If
>you cannot see it or don't want to wait for the download, please move on to
>the next message in the group.
>
>Having said that....Just to give ya an example of this (as if most people
>don't already know), this is roughly what I was referring to. If you cannot
>decode the attachment, it will be made available for viewing at
>http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/prattbridge.jpg FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY!!!
>
>Patrick
>
>======BEGIN BINARY ATTACHMENT=======

recommend using Hypersnap-DX which allows you to select certain
sections of a screen, for AW an example would be: Whisper screen, chat
screen, 3d screen, contacts etc screen and so on...
You can also choose to select and crop any screen you want with its
cool options...

Find the downloads here: www.hyperionics.com

,,,,,
(o o)
/--------------ooO--(_)--Ooo--------------\
| Anduin (317281) |
| o The Gorean Scribe |
| o http://www.anduin-lothario.com |
| o It wasn't me, it was the one I'm in! |
\--------------ooO-------Ooo--------------/

pc hamster

May 21, 2002, 10:35pm
Hi everyone:

> 1) That picture tells me absolutely nothing. It's just a couple roads
> with water running down the middle. What does that have to do with
> avatar height?

You're right Goob. That *was* a rather jaded angle which demonstrated
nothing. I may try from a different angle later on (if I do at all)

> 2) Why didn't you just provide the link and leave it at that? People are
> going to care about this for a "LIMITED TIME ONLY", so why put it in a
post?

Uhh....Because I'm NOT making it a part of my website. Web hosts are rather
picky about files not associated with web pages ya know. Makes 'em kinda
nervous. Dunno why, but it does....

> 3) You didn't have to do a complete screen capture. You could have
> easily gone into Paint or some such program and cut out just the 3D view
> part. Learn to crop!! That think took entirely too long to load!

Again, you're right Goober. I'll try to do a better of EDITING the thing
next time. :-) Like maybe shrink it down a little....

My apologies...

Cheers for now everyone :-)

Patrick Cook
Mayor - City of Hamsterville
pchamster at msn.com
Denver, Colorado

"pc hamster" <pchamster at email.msn.com> wrote in
news:3ceae7da$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:
[snipped]

Don't worry too much, I don't think they'll delete your site just for
having one file not referenced from a webpage...