ngs on a mac? (General Discussion)

ngs on a mac? // General Discussion

1  2  |

eric

Feb 25, 2002, 7:25am
Ok, every friday I do some babysitting work at someones house, and when the
kid i'm babysitting falls asleep I can use their internet. Thats all well
and good, but theyve got a mac, and I was wondering if any of you knew of a
good newsgroup reader for macs that I could download for them and that I
could use while I'm there.

Thanks,
Eric

chickengurl

Feb 25, 2002, 11:36am
Netscape Communicator

[View Quote]

dion

Feb 25, 2002, 5:01pm
ewwy!
Anyway, does Mac not have a default program for that sort of thing? I'm sure
it has something relative to outlook express.
[View Quote]

zeo toxion

Feb 25, 2002, 5:57pm
no i dont think the Mac people make a newsgroup reader. Microsoft just
happens ot make its own email/ng program but Mac people usually use Netscape
navigator.

[View Quote]

dion

Feb 25, 2002, 6:07pm
I feel bad for them, hehehe :-P
[View Quote]

joeman

Feb 25, 2002, 8:06pm
Outlook works well, but it has odd newsgroup browsing.

-Joe

I've used Outlook Express on a mac before. Go to microsoft's outlook
express site or macintosh site and you should be able to download it. I
believe it comes bundled with Internet Explorer, but I'm not sure.

SW Chris

[View Quote]

trekkerx

Feb 27, 2002, 5:04am
IE and Outlook look better on a mac >:)

--
TrekkerX
Commatron & Athnex

puckman

Mar 1, 2002, 11:32am
Typical PC users comments, I'm a Mac user and got myself a PC ONLY for
Active Worlds. Might be interesting to note that Microsoft Office and
outlook have more features and look better on the Mac. Don't take my word
for it, Mister Bill Gates himself said so :)

Here are some news readers for the Mac:

There is the bundled Outlook Express and Netscape Communicator.

And from the net:

Macsoup:
http://home.snafu.de/stk/macsoup/index.html

Maxnews:
http://www.maxprog.com/

Diiva:
http://www.diiva.com/

Newswatcher:
ftp://ftp.acns.nwu.edu/pub/newswatcher/

Thoth:
http://www.thothsw.com/thoth/

Hogwasher:
http://www.asar.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?2/index.html

MT-Newswatcher:
http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/

Will that do?

Gerard van Schip.

Hehe. If I could afford a mac, I'd get it just so I can edit my videos and
download the free version of Maya. :)

SW Chris

[View Quote]

valeri gail

Mar 1, 2002, 7:08pm
I have been looking into getting a Mac for my next computer.. but i have
been worried about active worlds performance on one.
Would you not recomend running Active worlds on a mac?

the fuck?!?!?1 maya is free on macs? ahh! gotta get me one!

Maya isn't free on Macs any more than it's free on PCs. The only thing
that's free is the trial version, for which there are both PC and Mac
versions. But from what I hear, the Mac version of Maya is shit, so it's
not even worth it. :P

[View Quote] > the fuck?!?!?1 maya is free on macs? ahh! gotta get me one!
You *wish* it was free....
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

young phalpha

Mar 2, 2002, 2:58am
To run AW on a Mac it requires a emulator, that would make it fairly slow...

Maya was created with Macs in mind, I thought. This link is to the Personal
Learning Edition of Maya, and it's Mac only.

http://www.aliaswavefront.com/freemaya

SW Chris

I just checked the site. NOW it's available for PC as well.

SW Chris

Surely you jest! The day Macs can do 3D as well as NT is the day I kill
myself. :P All I know is what I've heard, and what I've heard is that
the Mac version of Maya is crap. As far as I know, Maya for Macs is only
a recent thing, though I could be wrong. In fact, if you look at the PLE
site, it states that the Mac version will *only* work with Mac OS X,
whereas on a PC it will work with anything from NT to XP (excluding the
9x series, of course). Sounds to me like the Mac version is more recent
than the PC version...

At any rate, the PLE is the demo version I was talking about... It'll do
everything that Maya Complete can do (not to be confused with Maya
Unlimited), but it puts a watermark on everything you render, and you
can only use the PLE proprietary file format. There's a reason why it's
free. :P

[View Quote] > Maya was created with Macs in mind, I thought. This link is to the Personal
> Learning Edition of Maya, and it's Mac only.
>
> http://www.aliaswavefront.com/freemaya
>
> SW Chris

Thankfully, there are *other* ways of getting Maya for free...
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

accully from what ive been told, for shit like 3d animated cartoons and
movie production, they use like 100 macs hocked up together (so it doesnt
take forever to render the moive) so macs are pretty much only good for 3d
since pcs cant be hocked up together that well, or so i think
[View Quote]

dion

Mar 3, 2002, 5:16pm
That just means they use like googlet processors or something. ROFL, that's
dumb as hell :-P It's the same as if you did dual processors with dual
processors with dual processors. It's unnecessary and dumb! PCs can render
that sort of thing with a nice 2.5ghz processor in a few seconds

emmm, u went from bout 100 processors to 2? and emm another thing, graphic
cards are also important to render shit, not just the processor, and since u
cant do something with just 1 porcessor, they hock up lots, so it renders
together, which u cant do in pcs, so thats why they would consintrate on
making 3d shit on macs
[View Quote]

dion

Mar 3, 2002, 6:54pm
you get a bunch of 2.5ghz processors. make them dual processor and then 3 of
them hooked together and so on and so forth. Every procesor after the first
one deducts from it's original speed big time because the speed gets slowed
when it has to go through another processor to get to the actual computer
stuff. You don't really need all that. MAYBE two 2.5ghz processors dualed up
with a Geforce 4 graphics card.

It certainly doesn't require hundred of computers :)

Graphics cards actually do very little when it comes to rendering.
Rendering is mostly all processor, so having a dual processor set-up can
definitely reduce your rendering time. And networking PCs is just as
easy as networking Macs, if not more so. What do you think "Windows NT"
stands for? :P

[View Quote] > emmm, u went from bout 100 processors to 2? and emm another thing, graphic
> cards are also important to render shit, not just the processor, and since u
> cant do something with just 1 porcessor, they hock up lots, so it renders
> together, which u cant do in pcs, so thats why they would consintrate on
> making 3d shit on macs
Proof that Goobers ARE as dumb as they look.
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

valeri gail

Mar 4, 2002, 1:07am
Thanks for the reply young phalpha!! guess hubby gets the new computer
and i will stick with the pc! :o)
valeri

I think Macs use RISC (Reduced Input) processors, and that's what makes them
a good rendering platform. PCs use CISC (Complex Input) processors. I
think I spelled those right.

SW Chris

[View Quote]

puckman

Mar 4, 2002, 3:58pm
in article 3C8169F4.8090104 at acsu.buffalo.edu, goober king at
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu wrote on 03/03/2002 00:23:

> Surely you jest! The day Macs can do 3D as well as NT is the day I kill
> myself. :P All I know is what I've heard, and what I've heard is that
> the Mac version of Maya is crap. As far as I know, Maya for Macs is only
> a recent thing, though I could be wrong. In fact, if you look at the PLE
> site, it states that the Mac version will *only* work with Mac OS X,
> whereas on a PC it will work with anything from NT to XP (excluding the
> 9x series, of course). Sounds to me like the Mac version is more recent
> than the PC version...
Another PC user who is 'confused'.

Mac's were doing 3D long before Windows came around. Pixar's stuff was made
first on the Mac way back then...

Problem is that Apple lost it's way and thus got behind the game. In 1996
Steve Jobs came back to the fold (the guy who OWNS Pixar and started Apple
back in 1976) and now Apple is back on track. Apple will never be bigger
then Microsoft but then again a lot of successful companies aren't. You
don't have to be the biggest player on the market to be successful. Apple
makes good products and makes good profits, end of story.

As for Maya for the Mac. There are two main versions of Maya. A normal one
and a pro one. Only the normal version has been ported to the Mac and works
just as well as the Windows version.

As with regards to your Mac OSX comment. The old Mac OS was, well, old :)
and in serious need of updating. Mac OSX is a very modern UNIX based OS with
all the features a BIG 3D app needs. Running Maya on Mac OS9 would be a much
bigger task in porting and would make as much sense as running Maya on
Windows 3.11.

Maya is a very BIG app for BIG cash. There are loads of other 3D apps on the
Mac that will do just fine for 80% of the users out there. I use Cinema 4D
XL, a true multiplatform app, you can also use Lightwave, Electric Image,
Amapi or Vector works (cad app).

Gerard

puckman

Mar 4, 2002, 4:06pm
in article 3c7fedc6 at server1.Activeworlds.com, valeri gail at
ValeriGail at msn.com wrote on 01/03/2002 21:08:

> I have been looking into getting a Mac for my next computer.. but i have
> been worried about active worlds performance on one.
> Would you not recomend running Active worlds on a mac?

On my G4 with a 400mhz processor (that's 800mhz for pentium) I can get about
9 frames a sec at Ground Zero. The gate with all it's fancy stuff turned on
gives me about 3 frames a sec. Usable but not fun.

Choosing the right computer for you is all about what you do most on it and
what kind of person you are. In the last 20 years I have used pretty much
everything out there and always came back to the Mac for its polished OS and
user friendliness.

But, this is an active worlds newsgroup so let's get back to topic :)

Active worlds will run on a Mac but I would not advise it. If you really
want to get a Mac I would suggest you do like me. Get a nice Mac and do
everything on there except Active Worlds. Get an old Windows box and
optimise it to run ONLY Active Worlds. I use an old DELL that I got for free
from work. It runs at 450mhz and has 320mb of ram. Soon I should have the
cheap Geforce MX card with 64mb. That should be enough for your average
Active Worlds usage.

Gerard

PS
Now Mac has switched to Mac OSX, a UNIX OS, I really don't see why AW can't
make a client! It's not that the 3D engine won't run on a Mac.

puckman

Mar 4, 2002, 4:13pm
in article 3c82f7c4$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com, sw chris at
chrisw10 at nckcn.com wrote on 04/03/2002 04:27:

> I think Macs use RISC (Reduced Input) processors, and that's what makes them
> a good rendering platform. PCs use CISC (Complex Input) processors. I
> think I spelled those right.

It's "Reduced Instruction Set Computer" it means that all instructions sets
are the same length and much shorter. On a CISC cpu it has to deal with
these long lines of code which make it inefficient. This is why PPC
processors are used in so many embedded devices, reliable, fast, cheap and
usage of low voltage. Only the fastest G4's need a cooling fan. Try to run a
Intel chip without it's cooling fan and die :)

Some interesting reading:
http://www.apple.com/myths/

Gerard

HA! in yo face dion! turns out i was right, that macs r used for 3d shit cuz
there better at it! or should it be in yo face goober?

hehe, sorry bout my "in yo face" but first time im right :) u cant believe
how happy this makes me :)

[View Quote]

dion

Mar 4, 2002, 5:03pm
LOL, is this a first? (being right)

lol not really, but first time in a looooonnnnggggg time :)