Re: Encryption (was Re: LogBot v2.23 FINAL) (General Discussion)

Re: Encryption (was Re: LogBot v2.23 FINAL) // General Discussion

1  |

swampthing

Dec 23, 2001, 5:18pm
It was actually done just by editing the encrypted chatlog, I hate sorting through VB executables... *shudder*

After some experimentation (...since I didn't expect it to be this easy), I just typed a line with 0's on it, and the xor sequence
appeared. The length of it was clearly visible, as a 32 character sequence repeated itself. The reason for posting the "solution"
here was the bold statements in the newsgroup. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wants tamper proof chatlogs. If it had been
"acceptable", then I wouldn't have done this.

The decryption for the line of 32 zeros was "10011611811710411411653565150114", which I translated to ascii codes and put in the xor
array.

You can use stuff like feedback, that is, use 1 or more of the previously encrypted characters to encrypt the next one (...which is
done for the password encryption in aworld.ini). Maybe throw in a pseudorandom number generator such as rand(), just have to use the
same seed at the start of each line. With RC4 you can something like digital signatures. There's really an endless list of things
you can do :)

It is probably a good idea to protect the executable too, since it will rely on security through obscurity... much like the current
AW browser protection ;)

"agent1" <Agent1 at my.activeworlds.com> skrev i meddelandet news:3c261807$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Well, I would think that if the algorithm has been published and the bot has the key *in* it's executable, it's as good as
plaintext to someone who really wants to decrypt it :)