this is driveing me nutz (General Discussion)

this is driveing me nutz // General Discussion

1  |

data21

Nov 29, 2001, 4:02am
Hi, I sent this same message to my local PC repair guy and he responded with
bring it in, I do not have the money to keep taking it in evry few months,
no one on this world dose!

Can anyone in here please help me fix these 2 problems.
Note: most of this post is me talking to the repair guy when I say "you" I
do not me any of you here in the NG's.
Ok here is my 2 problems.

1st

I need to know how to get my CD-ROM working 100% again.
we are the ones that had our PC down with you for the CD-RW problem to find
that the CDRW was bad.
ever sence we got it back from you our CD-ROM is acting up.
Some times it will read CD's and some times it will not
I tried to reinstall the CD-ROM drivers that didn't help any.
The CD-ROM was working great intill we got it back from you.
Could there be something you might have forgot to reinstall?
Music CD's play fine, its the data CD its doing this to.

2nd

This is really bugging me still.
I know its not a virus but something really likes to use up 1 GB of space
and there is no way I can get any of that back.
3 GB lost to this now.
can you give me a list all all possible things that could be doing this.
This is really getting crazy please help.
none of my program log files or cache folders are doing it because they are
all set not to go over 50KB
what ever it is its using up 1GB every few hours, even when I delete stuff
and fully remove it from my hard drive I loose space instead of getting some
back.
You did replace our old hard drive, could this new one have bugs on it or
something?
I never heard of this going on before.

beardo

Nov 29, 2001, 6:33am
#1st

What quality is the CD's? Very cheap ones can be bad and cause error when
reading the CD. Have you checked the connections inside your computer to
the CD drive? Might be a loose cable. A little tip, when burning a data CD
try using a writing at 4x speed. Sometimes burning at higher speed can
cause the data to be unreadable.

#2nd

Happens to me sometimes, I loose 15GB of space on my HD. But if I do
Scandisk from windows it goes away and everything goes back to normal.

Beardo

"data21" <dbmiller at kiski.net> skrev i meddelandet
news:3c05cf5d at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Hi, I sent this same message to my local PC repair guy and he responded
with
> bring it in, I do not have the money to keep taking it in evry few
months,
> no one on this world dose!
>
> Can anyone in here please help me fix these 2 problems.
> Note: most of this post is me talking to the repair guy when I say "you"
> do not me any of you here in the NG's.
> Ok here is my 2 problems.
>
> 1st
>
> I need to know how to get my CD-ROM working 100% again.
> we are the ones that had our PC down with you for the CD-RW problem to
find
> that the CDRW was bad.
> ever sence we got it back from you our CD-ROM is acting up.
> Some times it will read CD's and some times it will not
> I tried to reinstall the CD-ROM drivers that didn't help any.
> The CD-ROM was working great intill we got it back from you.
> Could there be something you might have forgot to reinstall?
> Music CD's play fine, its the data CD its doing this to.
>
> 2nd
>
> This is really bugging me still.
> I know its not a virus but something really likes to use up 1 GB of space
> and there is no way I can get any of that back.
> 3 GB lost to this now.
> can you give me a list all all possible things that could be doing this.
> This is really getting crazy please help.
> none of my program log files or cache folders are doing it because they
are
> all set not to go over 50KB
> what ever it is its using up 1GB every few hours, even when I delete
stuff
> and fully remove it from my hard drive I loose space instead of getting
some
> back.
> You did replace our old hard drive, could this new one have bugs on it or
> something?
> I never heard of this going on before.

data21

My CD-RW is bad I know that and have to get a new one,
My CD-ROM came with my PC, it is a MITSUMI CD-ROM FX320 !B
Whats not being read at time are normal store bought program CD's {games and
divice setup CD's}
This never happoned till I last got it back from the repair guy
All cables and connections are fine.

I did scan disk also, it dont help any although it always finds errors on
the drive, not sure why.
It fixes them errors then i run it again to make sure and it finds more and
more to fix. thats always been doing that ever since I 1st had this PC must
be a bug in the scan disk or something.
Im now to the pont where I keep geting out of room on hard drive errors. now
im just floating along on 58KB free space lol
I dont now how to get any of that space back ether.
there are a few 0 bite files in my C:/ not sure what they are doing there

[Some miner info about my PC]

[OS]
Windows 98 version 4.10.1998

[RAM]
128 MB

[CD-ROM]
Manufacturer : MITSUMI, Inc.
MITSUMI CD-ROM FX320 !B
32X Max

[video card]
Voodoo5 5500
Manufacturer : 3dfx Interactive, Inc.
Hardware Version : 001
Chip Series : VSA 100
Bus Type : PCI
Total Video Memory : 64 MB
Graphic Chips : 2
Graphics Clock Speed : 166 MHz
BIOS Version : 1.11

[Sound Card]
Sound Blaster AWE64 Value
Manufacturer : Creative, Inc.

well thats enough info to be posted in here lol

[View Quote]

data21

Nov 29, 2001, 7:23am
Oh yea and my processor is a P2 350 MHz

[View Quote]

wendel

Nov 29, 2001, 1:32pm
Disappearing HD space... Check the properties of Windows\Temporary Internet
Files folder and also Windows\temp folder. I don't know if you're using
FAT32 or not but those 1 KB files that web browsers get can take up 32KB per
file on a FAT16 disk. There are hidden files in the Temp Internet Files
folder that you can only delete through DOS and the attrib command or by
using Spider.exe among many programs. See if there might be another folder
where you might be accumulating files. Some software just never met a file
it didn't like to store on your HD. A wonderful program to graphically
display the size of each folder and the storage efficiency (amount of wasted
space) is called Diskdata.exe

Your scandisk results are troubling. Do a disk cleaning and delete every
file you no longer need. Do searches for *.tmp files for deletion too.It's
possible your HD surface may be physically failing. Use Norton Disk Doctor
to mark any bad sectors it finds... I'm not sure Scandisk will mark bad
sectors. Run NDD once a week. If the bad sectors continue to grow, get a new
HD quickly. Check the HD controller driver. Is there a newer version?

As for the CDROM, you say it plays music CDs consistently without errors.
That would imply the head is properly aligned and cables are properly
seated. Those are the two most likely things that the repair guy/girl could
have damaged while in their care. Did you use a CDROM lens cleaner to try
and clean the laser reader? How old is the CDROM? The FAT on newer CDs may
be located where your drive isn't looking. I have seen 2 year old players
that do not read data CD's well. See if there's a firmware upgrade you can
get for your CDROM and, if it's and IDE device, check to see if there's a
controller update. With CDROMs so inexpensive these days, you might just get
a new one. Your CD problems could just be coincidental to the trip to the
repair shop and reflect firmware age, not repair person negligence.

Good Luck.

[View Quote]

data21

Nov 29, 2001, 2:15pm
My file system is FAT32
I don't have Norton Disk Doctor only McAfee VirusScan
Im not that good with DOS commands
All my .tmp files combine are well under 2MB
Last time I had my PC in for fixing I had to get the hard drive replaced,
lost many programs over that. {wonders if this new one could be bad}
My CD-ROM has been constantly used almost daily for about 3 years.
My internet cache is set to never go over 50MB and it always auto cleans it
self daily.
My AW cache is set to never go over 100 MB I delete that about once each
week.
I can't run my V scaner anymore ether, when i tell it to do a full PC scan
it stops about half way because something during that scan used up 1 GB,
thats where the problem started.
So im stuck scanning with some online scanner.
http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_pcc.asp

Your hard drive could have a lot of bad sectors. If this is the case it
might solve both problems if you buy a new Hard drive and install it in
place of the old one. Was there a power outage in your area before all
these problems happened?

--Bowen--

foxmccloud

Nov 29, 2001, 10:15pm
You haven't told us what the size of your disk was, and how it was
partitioned.
Anyway, scan your disk with chkdsk /f C: , it should give better results.
You didn't tell us WHAT the errors were either. There must be a scandisk.log
file on your C:\ , zip it and post it in reply, with a warning if it's
large...

Then do a search on your HDD searching for any files over 10MB or
something... and click on the Size column header to see what the biggest
files on your HDD are...
Another check is to go in your C:, select all the files there (Ctrl+A ,
don't forget to unhide hidden/system files) and then right click ->
Properties (or Alt+Enter) to see how many files there are, how big they are
and how much space they use (which are 2 different info), and check if
anything is supicious. You could tell us those numbers too... And the names
and sizes of the biggest files on your disk when you do the search

Fox Mc Cloud

"data21" <dbmiller at kiski.net> a écrit dans le message news:
3c065f39 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> My file system is FAT32
> I don't have Norton Disk Doctor only McAfee VirusScan
> Im not that good with DOS commands
> All my .tmp files combine are well under 2MB
> Last time I had my PC in for fixing I had to get the hard drive replaced,
> lost many programs over that. {wonders if this new one could be bad}
> My CD-ROM has been constantly used almost daily for about 3 years.
> My internet cache is set to never go over 50MB and it always auto cleans
it
> self daily.
> My AW cache is set to never go over 100 MB I delete that about once each
> week.
> I can't run my V scaner anymore ether, when i tell it to do a full PC scan
> it stops about half way because something during that scan used up 1 GB,
> thats where the problem started.
> So im stuck scanning with some online scanner.
> http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_pcc.asp

data21

Nov 29, 2001, 10:30pm
I can't surch that, windows 98 can not serch for files that are over
9999999 KB

[View Quote]

foxmccloud

Nov 29, 2001, 10:37pm
10 MB is 10 240 KB...

Fox Mc Cloud

"data21" <dbmiller at kiski.net> a écrit dans le message news:
3c06d32c at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I can't surch that, windows 98 can not serch for files that are over
> 9999999 KB

captain mad mike

Dec 1, 2001, 3:18pm
My guess would probably go with the rest of the people: your drive(s) could
be defective.

I had the same problem with my computer after I took it to the shop. My
CD-ROM drive started making really odd noises...so I took it out and
replaced it with my trusty old 32x, no problems. My guess is that because my
comp got jostled around in the trunk of our car something in the CD-ROM got
screwed up.

As for your hard drive...its very possible that it could be worn or
defective. What brand is it and how big is it? Last time we had a Maxtor (a
few years ago) a screw came loose and fatally damaged the $100+ drive. In my
comp I have a 30GB Western Digital. Somehow while formatting I lost 2GB of
space but thats probably just a DOS sector or something (I manually did the
formatting, but about 28GB is good enough for me). When did the "black hole"
(I guess you could call it that) begin? Some hard drives just lose GB of
space for no reason (like mine) and also some manufacturers round up with
the size (though probably not by 3GB...thats a lot of data to say exists
when it really doesn't).

--
Captain MAD Mike
-Governor, PC Addict, Odd Man

foxmccloud

Dec 1, 2001, 6:02pm
That's a really good point. I just HATE that. Manufacturers write drive
specifications in billions of bytes, and call that gigabytes. It's just
totally false, and don't tell me a HDD manufacturer doesn't know there are
1024 bytes in 1 kilobyte !!
I hate those kind of marketing stupidities... grrrrrrr...
like my IBM HDD has 45GB written even on the disk itself... and actually it
only has about 45 000 000 000 bytes... that is 43 945 312KB, or 42 915 MB,
or just 41.9GB !!
I'm not sure if that was really the problem of data21, but still it annoys
me a lot.

Fox Mc Cloud

"captain mad mike" <cmm at swcity.net> a écrit dans le message news:
3c0910cd at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> space for no reason (like mine) and also some manufacturers round up with
> the size (though probably not by 3GB...thats a lot of data to say exists
> when it really doesn't).

data21

Dec 2, 2001, 6:57am
I hate that to, though mine worked in the other direction.
On the box it says 7GB but when I look at the properties of it on my PC its
7.85GB
and im still not sure what sucked up that 3GB of space ether. it has stoped
for now but i still cant reclame any of that 3GB
This is a new HD my old one got screwy lost alot of data over that and I had
to get a new one and move what files i was able to save to the new one.
I never had this problem on my old one.