COMMUNITY WARNING (General Discussion)

COMMUNITY WARNING // General Discussion

1  |

bcg

Sep 10, 2001, 11:04pm
Hello everyone,

Yesterday and Today several worlds have been deleted using stolen passwords
(I believe the current count is 6). We know that at least one of them (WAR)
was deleted by a citizen named Radon, who used one of his bots which I was
running to steal my AW pass from my computer. If you do not know Radon, he
recently made a program called AW Ear. I myself have stopped using, and
removed all of the programs created by Radon. I recommend that anyone who
wants their password to be safe do so as well.

BCG

bcg

Sep 10, 2001, 11:06pm
This message is a bit outdated.... sorry everyone.... I wrote this while the
server was down, so it just posted now.

BCG

Ok, so it's outdated, but what about AW Ear? Wouldn't my firewall (Zone
Alarm) have asked if it wanted to act as a server when I ran it IF there was
a trojan in it?
--
Chris
Eagle Scout, Philosopher, Peacemaker, and... Kung Fu Master?

AW Ear isn't the problem. AW Ear is not a malicious program and actually
delivers as advertised. The programs that reportedly *are* malicious are
StockQuote Bot and IntelliBot. (also made by Radon) I'm in the process
of investigating this, since I've known Radon for a while, and something
smells rotten in (former) Botopia...

[View Quote] > Ok, so it's outdated, but what about AW Ear? Wouldn't my firewall (Zone
> Alarm) have asked if it wanted to act as a server when I ran it IF there was
> a trojan in it?
> --
> Chris
> Eagle Scout, Philosopher, Peacemaker, and... Kung Fu Master?
> http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html

Just call him Inspector Goober...
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

insanity

Sep 11, 2001, 12:22am
Zone Alarm does not always detect the actions of backdoors. It is best to use up
to date virus software from major companies like Norton and Mcafee.

http://worldhosting.heartfall.com
http://pathservices.heartfall.com

[View Quote] > Ok, so it's outdated, but what about AW Ear? Wouldn't my firewall (Zone
> Alarm) have asked if it wanted to act as a server when I ran it IF there was
> a trojan in it?
> --
> Chris
> Eagle Scout, Philosopher, Peacemaker, and... Kung Fu Master?
> http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html

I do, but virus software doens't act as a firewall. At least my Mcafee
VirusScan doesn't.

Chris

[View Quote]

andras

Sep 11, 2001, 4:16am
[View Quote] You are mixing apples and oranges. The mentioned AV software is just as good as their signature files. None of them has the StockQuote Bot and none of it detects it's presence.
OTOH ZA deals with the action of the programs and it detects the trojan in action if properly configured. If you allow only the AW ports access for a bot the only way it can leak info is through chat or whisper. No telegrams can sent from a bot and for file transfer or email the bot will be blocked because different ports required to do those actions.

Chris,
If AW Ear wants to access the internet (i.e. leak some data from your puter) ZA will ask you. I see no justified action which requires internet access for AW Ear so just simply block it. So the answer to your question is YES - ZA will PROTECT you despite insanity's comment.

Andras

[View Quote]

jfk2 builder

Sep 11, 2001, 4:26am
That is why i use BlackIce AND Nortons Antivirus and run them every few
days to keep me safe from too mauch harm.

"sw chris" <chrisw10 at nckcn.com> wrote in
news:3b9d8c62$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I do, but virus software doens't act as a firewall. At least my
> Mcafee VirusScan doesn't.
>
> Chris

[View Quote]

jfk2 builder

Sep 11, 2001, 5:18am
I was wondering why several more worlds are suddenly popping up in
Dreamland Park Universe and most of them on their homepage has the
warning about this BOT being used in AW.... Now i know... Geesh....
Not the best way to run world owners to another universe. I just hope
that whoever is doing this type of nonsense is not doing the world
owners to another universe for the sake of saying Dreamland Park
Universe is better than AW... Dreamland Park Universe don't need that
type of help.

"goober king" <rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu> wrote in
news:3B9D6ADC.8050705 at acsu.buffalo.edu:

> AW Ear isn't the problem. AW Ear is not a malicious program and
> actually delivers as advertised. The programs that reportedly *are*
> malicious are StockQuote Bot and IntelliBot. (also made by Radon) I'm
> in the process of investigating this, since I've known Radon for a
> while, and something smells rotten in (former) Botopia...

Umm... no one ever said anything about Dreamland Park. Stop talking
about things that have no relevance to the topic at hand.

[View Quote] > I was wondering why several more worlds are suddenly popping up in
> Dreamland Park Universe and most of them on their homepage has the
> warning about this BOT being used in AW.... Now i know... Geesh....
> Not the best way to run world owners to another universe. I just hope
> that whoever is doing this type of nonsense is not doing the world
> owners to another universe for the sake of saying Dreamland Park
> Universe is better than AW... Dreamland Park Universe don't need that
> type of help.
>
> "goober king" <rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu> wrote in
> news:3B9D6ADC.8050705 at acsu.buffalo.edu:

It's morning here... sue him!
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

wing.

Sep 11, 2001, 6:16pm
Heh, a friend of mine got Radon's previous account cancelled only a few days
ago, and has now suggested to ENZO to make a personal call to the little
shit's parents (As Radon is only 13-14, and though I hate to say it, an old
friend)

[View Quote]

bcg

Sep 11, 2001, 6:44pm
AW has not said anything about AW Ear containing a virus at the moment. If
you have not noticed, the article about AW Ear has been removed from the
newsletter, which makes one wonder. It may just be that AW does not want to
condone a hacker.

BCG

its not a virus,its a trojan,what it does(Well i think) is when u type in ur
info,it sends tells u theres a error,then tells u its e-mailing the error to
radon,and what u dont know is its accully mailing him the password,but its
in code,so u dont know that its sending it

dont take my word for it,im not too sure
[View Quote]

lanezeri

Sep 12, 2001, 9:24am
I know how ya feel Wing.. he -was- a friend of mine back when Utopia was
around, then he thought he was god and screwed himself out of a lot of
friends. I remember when he knew "everything" about VB (as he thought),
then a while ago, he asked this:

How do you get "bob" out of "bob:123"

That made me think less of what I used to. I grammed him a little after
Baron posted about the trojan, and he said "what makes you think I would do
something like that?" and then I said "read the NG and you'd know you were
caught." It's funny how someone thinks they can get away with things.. I
agree with ya about the parents thing too.

--

Lanezeri
Lead Bot Programmer at Stuff-X

[View Quote]

bcg

Sep 12, 2001, 5:47pm
The program does not ask for your permission to send any info, it does so
automatically.

BCG

[View Quote]

andras

Sep 12, 2001, 6:53pm
The program does NOT access the internet.
Andras

[View Quote]

builderz

Sep 12, 2001, 9:34pm
I tested Radon's AW Ear program about two days before he released it,
yet I did not download and use his bot(s) that transmitted AW passwords.
Companies do not make "anti-trust" software. It is a good rule of thumb
to trust the programmer of a program you are going to run on your
computer before you open it. If you do not trust the program and/or the
programmer, then you need to add appropriate security measures to your
system.

If properly configured and working correctly, Zone Alarm/Zone Alarm Pro
should alert you to any program that tries to access the Internet and/or
local network (if the program is not already in ZA/ZAP's Program
Settings). I believe ZA/ZAP uses MD5 checksums to differentiate between
two files with the same name. I am not saying that ZoneAlarm is fool
proof. The program title and .exe could be named anything, and this is
where the user needs to use vigilance.

You say: "It is best to use up to date virus software from major
companies like Norton and Mcafee." It is a *wise* decision to use
anti-virus software *such as* products made by Norton and McAfee, but
that is not necessarily the *best* solution. If you want the *best*
solution, in my opinion, you would run the bot on a computer
disconnected from all other networks (including the Internet), running
in a "sandbox" environment, with both anti-virus and anti-trojan
software running in the background with the most current definition
files. If you needed the Internet for the bot to function (which you
probably would), I suggest having at least one software firewall running
as well. Generally, the more layers of security you have, the better
your overall protection. After some testing of the bot, and it has been
deemed "safe," transfer it over onto another computer system you use
more often for more convenient usage.

Anti-virus programs will most likely *not* detect a trojan horse. That
is what *anti-trojan* software is for. The two may sound similar, but
try to combat two different things. Anti-virus software may indeed
detect a trojan on your system, but anti-trojan software is better
handled for such things. For the most part, they both depend on "fixed"
definition files that contain a library of known viruses, worms, and
trojans (very few do not). If the malicious code is not in that library,
then the software uses its heuristic feature (if it has one) to scan for
virus/worm/trojan-like activity. If it passes that stage, the
code/program is allowed to execute.

Builderz
Stuff-X - Bot & World Hosting Services
http://aw.stuff-x.com/
PGP Key ID: 0xAC0E7073 (for non-commercial use)

[View Quote]

jfk2 builder

Sep 13, 2001, 10:20am
Goober.... I'm in the Dreamland Park Universe and i see a few new
worlds start comming on line that were not there before and i go to
their worlds and i see their home pages filled with warrnings about
this bug or worm in AW [Active Worlds] and so i'm just mentioning that
some of these people are jumping off AW and sending their worlds into
Dreamland Park Universe to excape what is happening here most likely
BUT dreamland Park Universe dosen't need or want that type of help to
make that universe grow. If it's growing by people being that mean to
others in another universe then we in Dreamland Park Universe don't
want that. WE Want people who really WANT to be there not FORCED OFF by
crooked means at the hands of some sick person deleting their AW
Worlds.

[I'm known as JFK2 In Dreamland Park Universe]

"goober king" <rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu> wrote in
news:3B9DF61B.1030507 at acsu.buffalo.edu:

> Umm... no one ever said anything about Dreamland Park. Stop talking
> about things that have no relevance to the topic at hand.

maybe you should check your facts first, heh? AW Ear obviously DOES NOT
TRANSFER PASSWORDS. I have **checked**. And i agree with Goober King,
something DOES seem to be very strange with this whole Radon stealing PWs
deal...

Unfortunately, as I'm sure you noticed in my article about all this at
AWNews.com, it's all true. Radon has succeeded in turning into another
idiot script kiddie who did it for the hell of it. What really disturbs
me about all this is that he believed he would be *rewarded* for his
actions, because Gavaroche got a free world after hacking Nekranox. He
apparently doesn't understand that Gavaroche did what he did to help AWC
tighten up their security, while what Radon did was just outright
vandalism and destruction.

[View Quote] > maybe you should check your facts first, heh? AW Ear obviously DOES NOT
> TRANSFER PASSWORDS. I have **checked**. And i agree with Goober King,
> something DOES seem to be very strange with this whole Radon stealing PWs
> deal...
>
> KAH

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Prays Radon will grow out of this and understand what he has done is
wrong...
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

krypton

Sep 13, 2001, 9:02pm
A script kiddie? lol What's that mean? Didn't the Radon actually program the
StockQuoteBot himself? Not use scripts like xelagots.

[View Quote] > Unfortunately, as I'm sure you noticed in my article about all this at
> AWNews.com, it's all true. Radon has succeeded in turning into another
> idiot script kiddie who did it for the hell of it. What really disturbs
> me about all this is that he believed he would be *rewarded* for his
> actions, because Gavaroche got a free world after hacking Nekranox. He
> apparently doesn't understand that Gavaroche did what he did to help AWC
> tighten up their security, while what Radon did was just outright
> vandalism and destruction.

[View Quote]

wing.

Sep 13, 2001, 9:23pm
Builderrrrrrrrz, you hafta remember, only some of us have the appropriate
resources and skills to operate a full scale security testing situation such
as what you described. I FIRMLY believe that 90% of the time, all virii
infections are caused by overhyped software, such as Win2k and this
WORTHLESS stock quote bot. ZA/ZAP is also overhyped, which is a decent
deterrent to the damaging overhyped software and the shortcoming of other
overhyped software (OS's)

The same goes for virus detection software. If you're careful, you don't
need it.

[View Quote]

wing.

Sep 13, 2001, 10:43pm
A script kiddie is a wannabe hacker that think that they're a real hacker.
Examples of scriptes include executables in that context. And a kiddie
denotes that they're a wannabe. By definition, a script kiddie is one who
uses any targetside script or DDoS attack to do harm to a targetted system.
A cracker is similar, except all scripts are done infiltration side, and a
hacker is similar to that, though they often know everything that is to be
known about computers and how they function, and rarely have malicious
intents about breaking into systems.

[View Quote]

bcg

Sep 14, 2001, 12:02am
If actually READ what I typed, you would notice that I never once said that
AW Ear transfered passwords.

BCG

[View Quote]

builderz

Sep 14, 2001, 5:29pm
Wing, I know not everyone has the knowledge and resources to implement
and use the security environment I described in my last post. Heck, I
know many people who don't even know what a firewall or anti-virus
program is, let alone use one. I was just trying to get the point across
that Insanity used a bad choice of word when saying "best." I think
Andras' post was, too. Call me extremely picky or very opinionated if
you'd like, but Insanity should know better than that being the man
behind a hosting provider like Heartfall.

About ZA/ZAP being over hyped, I'm somewhat indifferent about that.
Sure, they may go a little overboard sometimes, but I've tested both ZA
and ZAP on numerous systems, and both programs do exactly what they say.
If it is free, why *not* over hype it? Sure, they want you to buy ZAP,
but still. If the hyping gets more people to download and install a
firewall on their computer system, then we are that much more closer to
securing another system connected to the gigantic network we call the
Internet.

Builderz
Stuff-X - Bot & World Hosting Services
http://aw.stuff-x.com/
PGP Key ID: 0xAC0E7073 (for non-commercial use)

[View Quote]

griffin page

Sep 16, 2001, 12:19am
Yeah he used to my friend too... in fact he was the one who blamed you
for the vandalism in Utopia huh? Ill bet he did it himself to frame
you.. the bastard (this is Legolas/Griffin 2101)

I wouldn't put it past Wing if he did it earlier than a year ago. So don't
say Radon framed Wing, because it's possible that Wing could have done it.
But only Radon and Wing know. :)

SW Chris