Size of a Community (General Discussion)

Size of a Community // General Discussion

1  2  |

john viper

Aug 23, 2001, 9:03am
How big is too bog?

How small is too small?

I was just thinking about what a good community we have here in AW.
About 1000 people, right? 2000 people max who spends a few hours a week
building, chatting, and contributing in general to the general
community? Of course, not everyone checks the newsgroups every morning,
not everyone is an Alphabit Phalpha or a Goober King or the other
great community leaders we have, but everyone who comes in for a few
hours a week affects how things happen in their own little ways.

As it is right now, things feel comfortable. Most everyone gets along.
Of course, as is human nature, there are folks who don't like each
other very well, and there are folks who downright cause trouble. This
is natural: it happens. However, the community is never going to be
the same as it is right this instant, (and this phrase applies at any
time on any day), and I am wondering what its future is.

Will it grow?

Will it shrink?

What will be the long term effects of any growth or shrinkage that may
happen in the next few minutes or hours or days?

If it shrinks, will those left over become even closer and the community
work better than ever? Or will we get too close and all start to get
sick of each other?

If it grows, will those new additions simply add to the current
wonderful community? Or will we become too much like the community of
Earth in which you cannot just be friendly to everyone as it is right
now because we will have too many of the more negative elements? Or
could negative elements develop within us because of the growth?

Will public building worlds become underpopulated and shut down, or
become overpopulated and have everyone fighting for land? Or will they
just grow and shrink as needed?

Will things change as usual? Or will things stay the same for a change?

-JV

--
John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

well, public building worlds now are often filled with ppl complaining that
there's no land, even though you'll find lots of land if you search real
hard. an eample is Mars, where some folks have started a petition and stuff.
How to solve this? Easy, not be adding more land, but by mapping the world
regularely so people can find land easily. I don't think the community we
have now is too big. But the community of some superb public building worlds
is shrinking all the time, and is allready too small. And I've seen many ppl
say "This becomes boring after a while, I'm not gonna renew" wich can cause
loss to the community because if most ppl do that you'll have less and less
experienced ppl vs. the rest.

m a r c u s

Aug 23, 2001, 4:35pm
If we are allowed to change the background in worlds like AW, I'll stay

[View Quote]

sw comit

Aug 23, 2001, 5:12pm
[View Quote] According to the AW Mapper, the number of non-empty cells is .92%, so I
think there's room for some more people =P

> How small is too small?

Hopefully there won't be less than 5 people in the world at a time like some
*other* public building worlds.

> I was just thinking about what a good community we have here in AW.
> About 1000 people, right? 2000 people max who spends a few hours a week
> building, chatting, and contributing in general to the general
> community? Of course, not everyone checks the newsgroups every morning,
> not everyone is an Alphabit Phalpha or a Goober King or the other
> great community leaders we have, but everyone who comes in for a few
> hours a week affects how things happen in their own little ways.
>
> As it is right now, things feel comfortable. Most everyone gets along.
> Of course, as is human nature, there are folks who don't like each
> other very well, and there are folks who downright cause trouble. This
> is natural: it happens. However, the community is never going to be
> the same as it is right this instant, (and this phrase applies at any
> time on any day), and I am wondering what its future is.
>
> Will it grow?

The people coming in and coming out seems strangly even `,'

> Will it shrink?

Maybe. AWC might release an amazing new building world in the next century
or two =)

> What will be the long term effects of any growth or shrinkage that may
> happen in the next few minutes or hours or days?

Depends on the people. For example when I stumbled into Alphaworld, I built
there for over 30 months and made a huge ol' city, that's a pretty long term
effect, eh?

> If it shrinks, will those left over become even closer and the community
> work better than ever? Or will we get too close and all start to get
> sick of each other?

I'd probably have to shrink a lot...

> If it grows, will those new additions simply add to the current
> wonderful community? Or will we become too much like the community of
> Earth in which you cannot just be friendly to everyone as it is right
> now because we will have too many of the more negative elements? Or
> could negative elements develop within us because of the growth?

Couldn't tell ya O_O

> Will public building worlds become underpopulated and shut down, or
> become overpopulated and have everyone fighting for land? Or will they
> just grow and shrink as needed?

AWC doesn't care about underpopulated worlds as you can tell.
Overpopulated? Nope.

> Will things change as usual? Or will things stay the same for a change?

Change, very very slowly.

> -JV
>
> --
> John Viper (#296714)
> jviper at jtsoft.net
> http://www.jtsoft.net
>
> "Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
> the sun..." -anonymous

wing

Aug 23, 2001, 6:03pm
We have perhaps 100-200 people that truly give a rats ass about the community and it's future. Inevitably, the community as a whole
will grow as an infux of n00bs is stacked on top. However, the core of the community, people like Goboer King, ABP, Eep (Yes, he has
his place, have any of you even met him inworld?), will continue to shrink. Take for example Xelag. We nearly lost him yesterday
because of the actions of a little BRAT. These few core people will undoubtedly fulfill their purposes and simply dissapear from the
light, or become so overwhelmed by the n00bs that they will simply vanish. We all have our limits.

[View Quote]

andras

Aug 23, 2001, 6:04pm
[View Quote] 0.92% WOW! I think there is really no room left in AW :)

Andras

you mean give everyone CT??? That's nuts! even WildWest doesn't give CT to
all...

m a r c u s

Aug 23, 2001, 6:17pm
What is CT?

[View Quote]

brandon

Aug 23, 2001, 6:24pm
caretaker.....thats how you chnage world settings and thats the only way you
can change the backdrop...other then a bot

[View Quote]

m a r c u s

Aug 23, 2001, 6:29pm
In that case no, I am not requesting Active Worlds give that.

I am requesting they allow a means like a bot where a button could be
clicked in the person's area and the background can change to an image like
with pict.rwx files. I know it isn't in place now, that is why I am
requesting it. It's something new, something I think could be added
considering there appears to be a lot harder things achieved in all worlds
that active worlds has.

[View Quote]

eep

Aug 23, 2001, 6:54pm
AW has already lost a LOT of important older citiens like Little Bull, Grover, Dataman, Rjinswand, Dean (Challagar), Spring Dew, etc, etc. AW's worldbuilding community has really gone to the shits in the past couple years because of it, too... :/

[View Quote] > We have perhaps 100-200 people that truly give a rats ass about the community and it's future. Inevitably, the community as a whole
> will grow as an infux of n00bs is stacked on top. However, the core of the community, people like Goboer King, ABP, Eep (Yes, he has
> his place, have any of you even met him inworld?), will continue to shrink. Take for example Xelag. We nearly lost him yesterday
> because of the actions of a little BRAT. These few core people will undoubtedly fulfill their purposes and simply dissapear from the
> light, or become so overwhelmed by the n00bs that they will simply vanish. We all have our limits.

nope, a bot goes under the same roof, the bot must have CT privileges, read
the owner cit must have CT.

m a r c u s

Aug 23, 2001, 7:37pm
Then don't use a bot. Re-read it without a bot. Having the bot isn't the
suggestion, changing the background is.

[View Quote]

brandon

Aug 23, 2001, 7:39pm
so then you'd have the backdrop changin every second and tons of choas....no

[View Quote]

m a r c u s

Aug 23, 2001, 7:48pm
I am not saying to have the background change for everyone, just the person
clicking the button. If they want to teleport to a zillion places and click
a zillion buttons then ok maybe it won't work. But would people really do
that?

I am just saying 1 person 1 button 1 background, that's all. Whoever clicks
the button sees the change, NO ONE else.

[View Quote]

the derek

Aug 23, 2001, 8:54pm
umm even a bot needs ct rights :o)

[View Quote]

jfk2 builder

Aug 24, 2001, 1:06am
I see you don't get around all that often... But allready there are
Daughters of AW.... People that have gone and formed their own
communities in what they feel is best for their communities.
Outerworlds Universe is a community and i'm a citizen there. Also i'm
a citizen in the community of Dreamland Park Universe. that is a
little smaller yet BUT they created that universe to be the
Entertainment KING of all universes as it's a DJ Music dream universe
and other entertainment dream. Then i'm a citizen on city4 All as
well... That is a very small universe whaere you have ONE CITY [world]
supposedly for all people. But yes... Even there you have people
with their own worlds. AND then you have Galaxy Worlds Universe [I'm
just a TOURIST there] but still shows that there is yet another AW
style community. And that is just the AW style ones... NOW you take
into account for Adobie Worlds [based on something different than AW's]
and you have another community alltogether different than AW...

So yes.... The trend for AW's communities to expand outward into new
frontiers has allready happened and i'm glad that i'm a part of that
expansion as well.

"john viper" <jviper at jtsoft.net> wrote in
news:3B84E2BF.6050201 at jtsoft.net:

> How big is too bog?
>
> How small is too small?
>
> I was just thinking about what a good community we have here in AW.
> About 1000 people, right? 2000 people max who spends a few hours a
> week building, chatting, and contributing in general to the general
> community? Of course, not everyone checks the newsgroups every
> morning,
> not everyone is an Alphabit Phalpha or a Goober King or the other
> great community leaders we have, but everyone who comes in for a few
> hours a week affects how things happen in their own little ways.
>
> As it is right now, things feel comfortable. Most everyone gets
> along.
> Of course, as is human nature, there are folks who don't like each
> other very well, and there are folks who downright cause trouble.
> This is natural: it happens. However, the community is never going
> to be the same as it is right this instant, (and this phrase applies
> at any time on any day), and I am wondering what its future is.
>
> Will it grow?
>
> Will it shrink?
>
> What will be the long term effects of any growth or shrinkage that
> may happen in the next few minutes or hours or days?
>
> If it shrinks, will those left over become even closer and the
> community work better than ever? Or will we get too close and all
> start to get sick of each other?
>
> If it grows, will those new additions simply add to the current
> wonderful community? Or will we become too much like the community
> of Earth in which you cannot just be friendly to everyone as it is
> right now because we will have too many of the more negative
> elements? Or could negative elements develop within us because of
> the growth?
>
> Will public building worlds become underpopulated and shut down, or
> become overpopulated and have everyone fighting for land? Or will
> they just grow and shrink as needed?
>
> Will things change as usual? Or will things stay the same for a
> change?
>
> -JV

jfk2 builder

Aug 24, 2001, 1:20am
Right now RPG world is about as close a world that has most everyone as
a CareTaker. Including some of those i've had a few words with in this
newsgroups have CT there... Either he [World Owner] ads the CT's or
his friends who are CT's ask me & BEG me to ad the CT's... and yes....
I've added a fet trusted CT's too... [I'm hosting the world and so it's
open for me to add who i want. Owner has last word though. But if he
says YES... I will add who ever his friends decide too.] Right now RPG
world is a Wide Open Build World for anyone including Tourists... [that
is why i have my BOTS in there to keep an EYE on things] And even those
that i've had strong words with here in the newsgroups have special
rights. Bots, Eject, ED, Special Objects But yes... The world Owner
told me to leave the thing wide open... OK it's his world... [PS...
It's Set To HUGE and there is NO Registry file there... lol]

"kah" <kah at kahbot.com> wrote in news:3b856364 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> you mean give everyone CT??? That's nuts! even WildWest doesn't give
> CT to all...
>
> KAH

[View Quote]

jfk2 builder

Aug 24, 2001, 1:27am
Would People Really Do That?

You don't know me very well do you... LMAO!!!!!!!

I'll click on every button you have in there EVEN if i have to fly high
or fly low or underground.... I'll click on everything there is and
give you a gram or email and say... Guess What.... This button 6n 7e
don't worrk for some reason and it's also located -300a = 300 meters
below ground lol

"m a r c u s" <i_have_a_site at yahoo.com> wrote in
news:3b857a20$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I am not saying to have the background change for everyone, just the
> person clicking the button. If they want to teleport to a zillion
> places and click a zillion buttons then ok maybe it won't work. But
> would people really do that?
>
> I am just saying 1 person 1 button 1 background, that's all. Whoever
> clicks the button sees the change, NO ONE else.

will you click a button that teleports you into a bump warp trap? hehehe...
:) Seriously though, it seems like a good suggestion. Caretaker should have
the option to disable it though in case he/she wants to add to the theme of
the world with a single backdrop. Or with AW 3.2.. sky dome.

SW Chris

Um, are you talking Caretaker, with the ability to wipe a world clean in a
single stroke with a certain set of software, or just world rights, where
you can't wipe the world?

SW Chris

[View Quote]

eep

Aug 24, 2001, 2:40am
-300a = -3000m

[View Quote] > don't worrk for some reason and it's also located -300a = 300 meters
> below ground lol

syntax

Aug 24, 2001, 2:55am
But there is always new citizens popping up in their places. I don't know if
I can list the new up-and-comers but I think Goober King can, he usually has
the best view over the community and what's going on. How about a list, GK?
;-)
--
- Syntax -
www.swcity.net

[View Quote]

eep

Aug 24, 2001, 7:02am
There aren't new worldbuilding citizens that communicate anywhere NEAR as much as we used to in the newsgroups and in-world.

[View Quote] > But there is always new citizens popping up in their places. I don't know if
> I can list the new up-and-comers but I think Goober King can, he usually has
> the best view over the community and what's going on. How about a list, GK?
> ;-)

Don't even bother, Eep. It just goes in one ear and out the other...

[View Quote] > -300a = -3000m

What's that grey stuff coming out of his ear?
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

As far as the worldbuilding community is concerned, I think Eep's right.
There haven't been too many HenrikG's or Casay's to come along in a
while, and it seems like everyone's trying to go out on their own,
create a world, and keep it to themselves. Guess everyone's gotten
comfortable now that the worldbuilder's before them have paved the way
for them.

As for the "up and coming" people, I wouldn't call myself an expert on
such things by any stretch of the imagination. But I suppose if I had to
pick who I thought would go far in this community, I'd say Anduin
Lothario, SW Comit, Syntax, SW Chris, KAH (if he cleans up his act
*smirk*), JBELL, Mike Zimmer, and Programmer (now Radon). I think if
these guys stick with their stuff, and maybe even branch out and
diversify themselves a bit, they can definitely go all the way. As far
as I'm concerned, as long as you stay committed to helping out and being
an active member of the community, you'll go far no matter what you do.

[View Quote] > There aren't new worldbuilding citizens that communicate anywhere NEAR as much as we used to in the newsgroups and in-world.

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Great, now their asking him for advice...
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

I thought about investing in a world one of these days... just need to learn
how to model first, and I can't seem to find the time to do that. : (

SW Chris

[View Quote]

jfk2 builder

Aug 24, 2001, 9:19pm
I'm talking CareTaker where you can edit the world and give yourself
Emment Domain = YOU ARE GOD and can delete everything in there in a few
minutes. That is what i mean. BUT since i keep excellent world
propdump and attribute files... It's no problem for me to pop one or
both of those in the world and change it in the fly.

"sw chris" <chrisw10 at nckcn.com> wrote in
news:3b85d25b$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Um, are you talking Caretaker, with the ability to wipe a world clean
> in a single stroke with a certain set of software, or just world
> rights, where you can't wipe the world?
>
> SW Chris

[View Quote]

jfk2 builder

Aug 24, 2001, 9:27pm
We have fun doing that all the time on RPG world... We don't mind
being treated as a YoYo with 2 bump warp traps... I even know of one
on AW where my friend build lt a tower way back last 09/2000 and he had
a YoYo effect in the tower. If he had his BOT in there you would
simply type in Beam Me Up Scotty = ZAP you get beamed to the top of the
tower [observation deck] BUT if my friend's bot isn't there... It's
the same technique people have to use to excape the trampoline on
Outerworlds GZ trap... CONTROL & SHIFT & FORWARD KEY & HOLD TIL FREE
which takes a few moments... lol

"sw chris" <chrisw10 at nckcn.com> wrote in
news:3b85d207$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> will you click a button that teleports you into a bump warp trap?
> hehehe...
>:) Seriously though, it seems like a good suggestion. Caretaker
>:should have
> the option to disable it though in case he/she wants to add to the
> theme of the world with a single backdrop. Or with AW 3.2.. sky
> dome.
>
> SW Chris

[View Quote]

jfk2 builder

Aug 24, 2001, 9:28pm
Thank You EEP.... Sometimes us extreame smart folk mess up too. lol