AW Mathematics (General Discussion)

AW Mathematics // General Discussion

1  |

wing

Aug 23, 2001, 3:55am
Heres a problem for you mathmaticians, I'm taking the appropriate class next year, so obviously I can't do it.

If Alphaworld were a sphere (I know, it wouldn't work, it's a square and you can't make a square into a circle without stretching,
just take a sphere of equal surface area), and you were standing on it at ground level, how many meters away would the horizon
appear due to the curvature of the world.

Why I want to know this? I'm not sure, but it'd be nice to know to stimulate conversation when Roland finally ups the maximum
visibility from 200 in the year 2099 in his old age with the release of AW 4.0 and gets clearance from Old Man JP (Rick died) to ask
for our input on how far, though no doubt two guys with an aged GeForce 15 XLR 2048mb will halt implementation.

wing

Aug 23, 2001, 4:01am
I seem to have forgotten a critical part in that last post, the two guys with the GeForce 15 were named Eep and Syntax and actually
have 6 digit citnums as opposed to 16 digits.
[View Quote]

nornny

Aug 23, 2001, 11:17am
Umm...Alphaworld is a hexagon I believe, 8 sided. :) Fly up really high and
you can even see the shape. But it would be nice if the world was round. ;)
Darn Europeans and their ignorant views on the universe! THE WORLD IS ROUND
I SAY!!!

Sorry. ;) I know it didn't answer your question, but it's too early in the
summer still (1 week before school) to be answering math questions. lol

Nornny

[View Quote]

myrth

Aug 23, 2001, 3:06pm
Actually, it is a square. The Hexagon shape comes from the clipping plane
cutting off things farther then 400m.

-Myrth

[View Quote]

jfk2 builder

Aug 24, 2001, 12:53am
Well... In 2099 AW won't have a v4.0 of the browser. By then the world
you see will be round in every respect to what you see in earth or any
other world. By then... Even AW might not exist as we know it. It
will be a Star-Trek Voyager Holodeck type of Virtual Reality and there
all you will care about is how big the room looks to be when running a
program compared to what it really is when not running a program lol

"wing" <bathgate at prodigy.net> wrote in
news:3b849ae1$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Heres a problem for you mathmaticians, I'm taking the appropriate
> class next year, so obviously I can't do it.
>
> If Alphaworld were a sphere (I know, it wouldn't work, it's a square
> and you can't make a square into a circle without stretching, just
> take a sphere of equal surface area), and you were standing on it at
> ground level, how many meters away would the horizon appear due to
> the curvature of the world.
>
> Why I want to know this? I'm not sure, but it'd be nice to know to
> stimulate conversation when Roland finally ups the maximum visibility
> from 200 in the year 2099 in his old age with the release of AW 4.0
> and gets clearance from Old Man JP (Rick died) to ask for our input
> on how far, though no doubt two guys with an aged GeForce 15 XLR
> 2048mb will halt implementation.

wing

Aug 24, 2001, 1:19am
You certainly have high hopes. Trust me, we'll still be on 4.0 :)

Never heard of Internet2 have you? Hehehe... Some universities will have
*something* like a holodeck. However the user is surrounded by four walls
upon which are projected a 3-D environment so you can interact with
coleagues across the network. or something like that... My memory is a bit
fuzzy.

Chris

I think you're referring to the CAVE, (Computer Automated Virtual
Environment) where they project images on the walls around you, and you
have a special headset that let's you see and hear things in 3D, and a
"wand" you can touch and move things with.

http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/VR/cavernus/

[View Quote] > Never heard of Internet2 have you? Hehehe... Some universities will have
> *something* like a holodeck. However the user is surrounded by four walls
> upon which are projected a 3-D environment so you can interact with
> coleagues across the network. or something like that... My memory is a bit
> fuzzy.
>
> Chris

Smacks Chris with his wand
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

bluebean

Aug 24, 2001, 7:48pm
that's easy:

AW is a 655 km square
area is 655000 * 655000 meters = 429025000000 m2
surface area of a sphere is 4 pi r2
so:
pi r2 = 107256250000
r2 = 34140724730
r = 184772,0886119 meters

Lets say you are 1.80 meters tall, add 1.80 to that radius.
The tangent to the circle of the smaller radius (the world radius) is one
side of a right triangle
with the longer radius (World radius + body lenght) as the hypotenuse.

a^2 + b^2 = c^2

do the math, the horizon would be 815,5846 meters away.

bluebean

wing <bathgate at prodigy.net> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
3b849ae1$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Heres a problem for you mathmaticians, I'm taking the appropriate class
next year, so obviously I can't do it.

> If Alphaworld were a sphere (I know, it wouldn't work, it's a square and
you can't make a square into a circle without stretching,
> just take a sphere of equal surface area), and you were standing on it at
ground level, how many meters away would the horizon
> appear due to the curvature of the world.
>
> Why I want to know this? I'm not sure, but it'd be nice to know to
stimulate conversation when Roland finally ups the maximum
> visibility from 200 in the year 2099 in his old age with the release of AW
4.0 and gets clearance from Old Man JP (Rick died) to ask
> for our input on how far, though no doubt two guys with an aged GeForce 15
XLR 2048mb will halt implementation.

prince dyonis

Aug 24, 2001, 8:07pm
Thank you very much for the Europeans :(

nornny a écrit :

> Umm...Alphaworld is a hexagon I believe, 8 sided. :) Fly up really high and
> you can even see the shape. But it would be nice if the world was round. ;)
> Darn Europeans and their ignorant views on the universe! THE WORLD IS ROUND
> I SAY!!!
>
> Sorry. ;) I know it didn't answer your question, but it's too early in the
> summer still (1 week before school) to be answering math questions. lol
>
> Nornny

[View Quote]

bluebean

Aug 24, 2001, 8:10pm
just a clarification: your line of sight to the horizon would have the
length of 815,5846 m (in fact you would have to be taller than 1.80 meters
or have your eyes on the top of your head). To calculate the distance you
would have to walk to the horizon, you have to calculate the angle between
the two radii and then do an calculation on the lenght of the circular arc.
Formula if angle A is in degrees is: A (PI/180) r .(r = World radius)

I'm too lazy to do the math now, hehe.
bluebean

bluebean <bluebean at csi.com> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
3b86cbb3 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> that's easy:
>
> AW is a 655 km square
> area is 655000 * 655000 meters = 429025000000 m2
> surface area of a sphere is 4 pi r2
> so:
> pi r2 = 107256250000
> r2 = 34140724730
> r = 184772,0886119 meters
>
> Lets say you are 1.80 meters tall, add 1.80 to that radius.
> The tangent to the circle of the smaller radius (the world radius) is one
> side of a right triangle
> with the longer radius (World radius + body lenght) as the hypotenuse.
>
> a^2 + b^2 = c^2
>
> do the math, the horizon would be 815,5846 meters away.
>
> bluebean
>

> wing <bathgate at prodigy.net> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
> 3b849ae1$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> next year, so obviously I can't do it.
> you can't make a square into a circle without stretching,
at
> ground level, how many meters away would the horizon
> stimulate conversation when Roland finally ups the maximum
AW
> 4.0 and gets clearance from Old Man JP (Rick died) to ask
15
> XLR 2048mb will halt implementation.

Want to help me with my college algebra? =D

SW Chris

[View Quote]

jfk2 builder

Aug 27, 2001, 6:41pm
This is beginning to look more like the old time "Mommy... Can You
Please Help Me With My Homework?" "Please Mommy With Sugar And Spice
And You'll Be So Nice To Help Me With My Homework, Mommy" But... At
least this is far removed from the good old days. Now it's the
umpteenth century and it's now Virtual Reality time... So that same
basic question is updated a little... AW Community... Could You
Please Help Me With My Homework? With Sugar And Spice And Everyone Is
So Nice In AW... Could You Please....

"sw chris" <chrisw10 at nckcn.com> wrote in
news:3b8a6baa at server1.Activeworlds.com: