BBS... (General Discussion)

BBS... // General Discussion

1  |

anduin lothario

Aug 5, 2001, 7:15pm
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone on ActiveWorlds actually has a BBS system which
allows us to telnet to?

If any of you actually KNOW what one is? lol

If you have one, please let me know :D

--
,,,,,
(o o)

--==[(/ ÅñÐûïÑ LøTHåRïø \)]==--
http://www.anduin-lothario.com
--==[(/ ÅñÐûïÑ LøTHåRïø \)]==--

wing

Aug 5, 2001, 9:27pm
This is the closest it gets. Damn man, and people complain that plaintext posting is in the past.
[View Quote]

anduin lothario

Aug 5, 2001, 9:35pm
Heya Wing :)

> This is the closest it gets. Damn man, and people complain that plaintext
posting is in the past.

Some people do, but I don't... I found a whole list of WildCat BBS systems,
but I thought it may be funner logging onto one owned by an AW User.

--
,,,,,
(o o)
--ooO-----Ooo---

--==[(/ ÅñÐûïÑ LøTHåRïø \)]==--
http://www.anduin-lothario.com
--==[(/ ÅñÐûïÑ LøTHåRïø \)]==--

john viper

Aug 5, 2001, 10:51pm
"anduin lothario" <anduin at anduin-lothario.com> wrote in
news:3b6db77b at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Hi all,

Yo.

> I was wondering if anyone on ActiveWorlds actually has a BBS system which
> allows us to telnet to?

I would doubt it... Wings post confirms my assumption.

> If any of you actually KNOW what one is? lol

Not really. I have a general idea of how it works: a program monitors the
Telnet port of a system, and communicates via the telnet protocol. Rather
than using Telnet to browse files on a system, it is used for some kind of
message board or other. But that is all I know, can anyone help me with the
specifics?

> If you have one, please let me know :D

I guess I don't, but maybe I could write one?

> <snip wierd sig>

Jeff Tickle (John Viper, #296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

anduin lothario

Aug 5, 2001, 11:15pm
Thanks John :)

> Not really. I have a general idea of how it works: a program monitors
the
> Telnet port of a system, and communicates via the telnet protocol. Rather
> than using Telnet to browse files on a system, it is used for some kind of
> message board or other. But that is all I know, can anyone help me with
the
> specifics?

Yes, that's basically what it is, although before it never used telnet, it
use to be connection from modem to modem using your phoneline (like calling
an ISP I guess).

Most good BBS's have a message system and a files area, where you can upload
and download files in specific areas, depending on your interests and your
file ratio (if the Sysop "System Operator" has set ratios up). You can also
find online door games like Legend of the Red Dragon, which is a classic.

BBS's require you to log in using your name and password :)

BBS's did die for a while, but now, after almost 5 years, SysOp's are
starting to open up BBS's again, using telnet...

Hope this helped a little...

--
,,,,,
(o o)
--ooO-----Ooo---

--==[(/ ÅñÐûïÑ LøTHåRïø \)]==--
http://www.anduin-lothario.com
--==[(/ ÅñÐûïÑ LøTHåRïø \)]==--

eep

Aug 6, 2001, 12:42am
Dude, BBSes are so early 1990s. They're, like, obsolete d00d. I dropped them as soon as the Web became popular in the mid-90s. I stopped running my "Star Trek: The Next Generation On-Line" BBS around the time TNG went off the air (I was SO pissed to hear it had been cancelled supposedly because the actors wanted more money). <sigh> Too bad Enterprise doesn't look that interesting either...Paramount REALLY fucked up when they cancelled TNG and put on Slop (Deep) Space Nine and Boringer--er, Voyager...and the TNG movies haven't been much to be interested about either. :/

[View Quote] > I was wondering if anyone on ActiveWorlds actually has a BBS system which
> allows us to telnet to?
>
> If any of you actually KNOW what one is? lol
>
> If you have one, please let me know :D

john viper

Aug 6, 2001, 1:03am
"anduin lothario" <anduin at anduin-lothario.com> wrote in
news:3b6defca at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Thanks John :)
>

> Yes, that's basically what it is, although before it never used telnet,
> it use to be connection from modem to modem using your phoneline (like
> calling an ISP I guess).
>
> Most good BBS's have a message system and a files area, where you can
> upload and download files in specific areas, depending on your
> interests and your file ratio (if the Sysop "System Operator" has set
> ratios up). You can also find online door games like Legend of the Red
> Dragon, which is a classic.
>
> BBS's require you to log in using your name and password :)
>
> BBS's did die for a while, but now, after almost 5 years, SysOp's are
> starting to open up BBS's again, using telnet...
>
> Hope this helped a little...
>
> <snip again>

Actually that does sound kinda interesting :-) I was thinking about it, and
I do remember readme files going on and on about BBS'es in (really) old
games like the Monuments of Mars, FGodmom, *thinks* oh gosh there are too
many... the old ones were the best. Jeez, I gotta find Monuments of Mars!
Dont think I ever beat that one...

Oh and I remember everything had id.diz or something like that in the
distribution. Whatever... can you point me to any BBS servers that I can
try out?

-John

Jeff Tickle (John Viper, #296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

dabartender

Aug 6, 2001, 1:15am
[View Quote] (nostalgia break, this seemed a good place to run amok with it)

They're pretty 1980's too ;-) I used to run a BBS on my old Commodore 64,
circa 1985 or so. 170K 5.25" floppy, 880K 3.5" floppy, and a 512K RAM
expansion unit set up as a RAM drive...that was a lot of storage space back
then! Add in my "overclocked" modem - a 300 baud would go up to 420 or so
before it started dropping characters - and I had a kick-ass system running
LOL :D

Of course, the big kid on the block was the guy who had the 5MB hard drive
on his system, running the latest version of Wildcat! BBS...ah, the good ol'
days ;-)

wing

Aug 6, 2001, 1:30am
[View Quote] Uh oh, you're using 21'st century spellings now. Not to mention combining it with 1980's-early 90's grammar.

anduin lothario

Aug 6, 2001, 1:32am
Hey again,

> Oh and I remember everything had id.diz or something like that in the
> distribution. Whatever... can you point me to any BBS servers that I can
> try out?

Yep, sure had, file_id.diz, something like that :)
Here's a list of heaps of BBS's, some of them are dead, but you may find
some interesting ones...
http://w3.ime.net/~brogan/page5.html

--
,,,,,
(o o)
--ooO-----Ooo---

--==[(/ ÅñÐûïÑ LøTHåRïø \)]==--
http://www.anduin-lothario.com
--==[(/ ÅñÐûïÑ LøTHåRïø \)]==--

anduin lothario

Aug 6, 2001, 1:39am
Heya Eep,

Yes, they are old, but they are still loads of fun to be on, it's like small
communities. I find them, personally, better than internet forums and
FTP's... Although Newsgroups aren't so bad, we have our own small community
right here.

Wildcat! WinServer allows you to set up a BBS that works modem to mode,
telnet, active html and the Wildcat! Navigator Client makes it easy for
people to use. So BBS's aren't really all that bad, considering some
software are fully customizable with the internet...

Oh, I think I should give a link to those interested in the WinServer...
http://www.santronics.com/products/WINServer/
That one does cost a bit, but there's thousands of BBS's out there using it,
for internet connectivity...

--
,,,,,
(o o)
--ooO-----Ooo---

--==[(/ ÅñÐûïÑ LøTHåRïø \)]==--
http://www.anduin-lothario.com
--==[(/ ÅñÐûïÑ LøTHåRïø \)]==--

[View Quote]

john viper

Aug 6, 2001, 8:13am
"tyrell" <tyrell1 at sk.sympatico.ca> wrote in
news:3B6E3CDF.E8762895 at sk.sympatico.ca:

> <snip nostalgic message>

Wow... I wish I was old enough to comprehend back then!

Jeff Tickle (John Viper, #296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

jfk2 builder

Aug 14, 2001, 1:28pm
I ran my own BBS --- TINY BBS running on Jet10BBS and later through all
the versions to Jet50BBS software. [I prefered to stay away from the
normal brand names of software & went for obscure ones as they had the
better one on one AUTHOR support] Running a messages, Files, & Doors
[doors are what is known today as on-line games]. My fav was
Yankee-Trader from Alan Davenport and his bbs Log Cabin in state of PA
[usa] I was the master game player on that game. Used every trick in
the book [I just about wrote the book] on how to become the master game
player on that game. And my first hint was... Download the game & run
it in local [CONSOLE MODE] mode and find all the BUGS that you can
exploit against your enemies. Yes.... I do remember the good old days
too.... And i still run the bbs game part of it even today. Without
the bbs though it makes for some interesting things.... TELNET goes
through a slightly different FrontDoor software to the BATch file
instead... and that controls the game menues [HINT there is use all the
FOSSIL drivers and ANSI graphic drivers that load on the fly & unload
on the fly. You don't ever need the older SYS boot up stuff and as for
the problem with SHARE... Windows comes with that one & it works just
nicely with older games that need SHARE. If it ever gives you an
error... It may look like vshar##.dll = the windows version of Share]

"john viper" <jviper at jtsoft.net> wrote in
news:Xns90F53F49F4B9Ejviperjtsoftnet at 166.90.181.12: