Weather algorithm. // Bots

1  |

edward sumerfield

Feb 8, 1999, 5:02pm
I just thought of a cool programming problem to do with weather.

Lets say that you want a cloudy day, not too many clouds but a few doted
around. It may be too much of an overhead to add clouds to every zone in
the world, especially a large world like Aw. You could come up with an
algorithm that worked out the optimum spread of cloud objects based on
the locations of the known avatars in the world. So you would only have
to add cloud objects to certain parts of the world. In most cases this
would be just around GZ but there would be an occasional smattering for
those adventurous souls that ventured into the green beyond.

I am not sure what the maximum visibility of an bot is but the cloud
bot, sorry Eep, must call it a bot, would have to station bots at a
number of locations around the world to ensure that everyone is seen.
Each cloud bot would maintain the same list of avatars in the world and
track each of their movements.

Wherever you go, the clouds will follow. Sounds like a sad ending to a
weather phenomenon.

Edward Sumerfield.

dean

I don't know much about bots, but wouldn't clouds cause a problem with
the Building Inspector in worlds with registries?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; How
would you solve this problem without doing away with the registry?
[View Quote]

byte me

Feb 8, 1999, 8:53pm
One idea is use tourist property so they could be removed another way is
if roland was up to programming is make a way for bots to build and when
people build under or over these objects would not return a BI
message...

[View Quote] > I don't know much about bots, but wouldn't clouds cause a problem with
> the Building Inspector in worlds with registries? How would you
> solve this problem without doing away with the registry?

[View Quote]

canopus

Feb 8, 1999, 9:00pm
If the clouds are specially designed bots, then they can go anywhere in a
world like AW that a citizen or tourist avatar can go. So the problem
becomes how to detect where the citizen or tourist avatars are hanging out.
A cloud-avatar bot can't detect other avatars more than a short distance
away. So you'd need a lot of bots out looking for crowds of tourist and
citizen avatars to rain on.

If the clouds are objects added to AW's objects list, then the
cloud-building/destroying bot can only create them above land that is owned
by the bot's owner, as Dean points out. A builder bot can build anywhere in
the world it has been admitted to, so it could make clouds appear anywhere
its owner has land to rain on, without actually being present there. But
detecting whether anybody is on that land is still a problem.

Could another way of detecting crowds on your property be devised (other
than sending a bot there to count AvatarAdded events)? This wouldn't be a
bot programming problem, it would be an object-designing problem or an
object+action+webpage building problem.

[View Quote] > I just thought of a cool programming problem to do with weather.

> Lets say that you want a cloudy day, not too many clouds but a few doted
> around. It may be too much of an overhead to add clouds to every zone in
> the world, especially a large world like Aw. You could come up with an
> algorithm that worked out the optimum spread of cloud objects based on
> the locations of the known avatars in the world. So you would only have
> to add cloud objects to certain parts of the world. In most cases this
> would be just around GZ but there would be an occasional smattering for
> those adventurous souls that ventured into the green beyond.
>
> I am not sure what the maximum visibility of an bot is but the cloud
> bot, sorry Eep, must call it a bot, would have to station bots at a
> number of locations around the world to ensure that everyone is seen.
> Each cloud bot would maintain the same list of avatars in the world and
> track each of their movements.
>
> Wherever you go, the clouds will follow. Sounds like a sad ending to a
> weather phenomenon.
>
> Edward Sumerfield.

rjinswand

------=_NextPart_000_011D_01BE53A0.6071DC20

------=_NextPart_001_011E_01BE53A0.6071DC20

The solution to this would be to create the clouds under the citizen =
number of whoever owns the property.

Rjinswand

--=20

Check out WorldOne, a humongous selection of models and avatars for =
one low price. Gandtech and Rjeneration have fused forces to bring you =
everything you need to start (or restart) your world. In one box.
http://www.gandtech.com/worldone=20

[View Quote] I just thought of a cool programming problem to do with weather. =

Lets say that you want a cloudy day, not too many clouds but a =
few doted=20
around. It may be too much of an overhead to add clouds to every =
zone in=20
the world, especially a large world like Aw. You could come up =
with an=20
algorithm that worked out the optimum spread of cloud objects =
based on=20
the locations of the known avatars in the world. So you would =
only have=20
to add cloud objects to certain parts of the world. In most =
cases this=20
would be just around GZ but there would be an occasional =
smattering for=20
those adventurous souls that ventured into the green beyond.=20

I am not sure what the maximum visibility of an bot is but the =
cloud=20
bot, sorry Eep, must call it a bot, would have to station bots =
at a=20
number of locations around the world to ensure that everyone is =
seen.=20
Each cloud bot would maintain the same list of avatars in the =
world and=20
track each of their movements.=20

Wherever you go, the clouds will follow. Sounds like a sad =
ending to a=20
weather phenomenon.=20

Edward Sumerfield.

------=_NextPart_001_011E_01BE53A0.6071DC20

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 =
transitional//en">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#f0f0f0>
<DIV>&nbsp;<FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2> The solution to this would be =
to create=20
the clouds under the citizen number of whoever owns the =
property.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
Rjinswand</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2><BR>-- =
<BR></FONT><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Check=20
out WorldOne, a humongous selection of models and avatars for one low =
price.=20
Gandtech and Rjeneration have fused forces to bring you everything you =
need to=20
start (or restart) your world.&nbsp; In one box.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
<A=20
href=3D"http://www.gandtech.com/worldone">http://www.gandtech.com/worldon=
e</A>=20
<BR></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: =
5px">
[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_001_011E_01BE53A0.6071DC20--

------=_NextPart_000_011D_01BE53A0.6071DC20

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:;Rjinswand
FN:Rjinswand
ORG:Rjeneration
URL:http://table.jps.net/~rjins/rjeneration
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:bcnu at psicorps.com
REV:19990209T041948Z
END:VCARD

------=_NextPart_000_011D_01BE53A0.6071DC20--

edward sumerfield

Feb 9, 1999, 2:43am
Yes, it seems that my idea will not be feasible. So we are limited to
generating clouds over our own land only, not so much because of the access
restrictions but because of the problem of finding all the avatars to have
clouds over.

[View Quote] > If the clouds are specially designed bots, then they can go anywhere in a
> world like AW that a citizen or tourist avatar can go. So the problem
> becomes how to detect where the citizen or tourist avatars are hanging out.
> A cloud-avatar bot can't detect other avatars more than a short distance
> away. So you'd need a lot of bots out looking for crowds of tourist and
> citizen avatars to rain on.
>
> If the clouds are objects added to AW's objects list, then the
> cloud-building/destroying bot can only create them above land that is owned
> by the bot's owner, as Dean points out. A builder bot can build anywhere in
> the world it has been admitted to, so it could make clouds appear anywhere
> its owner has land to rain on, without actually being present there. But
> detecting whether anybody is on that land is still a problem.
>
> Could another way of detecting crowds on your property be devised (other
> than sending a bot there to count AvatarAdded events)? This wouldn't be a
> bot programming problem, it would be an object-designing problem or an
> object+action+webpage building problem.

[View Quote]

archon manus

Feb 9, 1999, 4:04am
This doesn't help with the avatar detection issue, but remember that you can
create an object that is not centered on its 0,0,0 point. The limitation
then becomes that the anchor point has to be visible. In general, this means
that you could have clouds within 60 meters of land that you control, and
they would usually be visible.

Archon Manus
Vizier D'Magienne

[View Quote]

canopus

Feb 9, 1999, 4:05am
Don't give up yet. What I had in mind was a Bump action on certain key objects on
someone's land, so that a webpage and associated database was updated, in a way
that allowed that person's central bot to take a peek at it, and see how big the
current local population of Bumping citizens and tourists might be. There's a
number of reasonable complaints under this newsgroup about having to program
bots, but many of those non-programmers might be ready to install a readymade
web-action on some of their objects, assuming that the bot and database parts
will be taken care of by programmers for them. Then someone's central bot could
put clouds over that person's land whenever its Bump quota was fulfilled, and
rain on the Bumping citizens and tourists there.

[View Quote] > Yes, it seems that my idea will not be feasible. So we are limited to
> generating clouds over our own land only, not so much because of the access
> restrictions but because of the problem of finding all the avatars to have
> clouds over.

[View Quote]

edward sumerfield

Feb 9, 1999, 10:46am
[View Quote] > This doesn't help with the avatar detection issue,

If you are only adding weather effects over your own land then you do not need
any avatar detection. Just a local effect. Of coarse you could get adjoining
pieces of land with different weather effects which may look funny.

> but remember that you can
> create an object that is not centered on its 0,0,0 point. The limitation
> then becomes that the anchor point has to be visible. In general, this means
> that you could have clouds within 60 meters of land that you control, and
> they would usually be visible.

I don't get this "not centered on its 0,0,0" issue. Why can't I just have a
little cloud rwx file and place it 40 meters off the ground (or 60 in your case,
my vis is only 40). It can be moved and changed for other little cloud objects
as the weather pattern transforms through time.

> Archon Manus
> Vizier D'Magienne

[View Quote]

edward sumerfield

Feb 9, 1999, 10:48am
When an avatar bumps a bump object is the SDK program monitoring that zone notified
or do you have to put some kind of action the change the object for it to be
notified.

[View Quote] > Don't give up yet. What I had in mind was a Bump action on certain key objects
> onsomeone's land, so that a webpage and associated database was updated, in a way

> that allowed that person's central bot to take a peek at it, and see how big the
> current local population of Bumping citizens and tourists might be. There's a
> number of reasonable complaints under this newsgroup about having to program
> bots, but many of those non-programmers might be ready to install a readymade
> web-action on some of their objects, assuming that the bot and database parts
> will be taken care of by programmers for them. Then someone's central bot could
> put clouds over that person's land whenever its Bump quota was fulfilled, and
> rain on the Bumping citizens and tourists there.

[View Quote]

hill

Feb 9, 1999, 10:06pm
--------------6A3C0A0F9DBE3530B309709F

You could make clouds in the Object Registry as 0 so when citizens build thay dont
get Building Inspector... And To Stop Vandiles make them like z signs ... only serten
pple can use them
[View Quote] > Don't give up yet. What I had in mind was a Bump action on certain key objects on
> someone's land, so that a webpage and associated database was updated, in a way
> that allowed that person's central bot to take a peek at it, and see how big the
> current local population of Bumping citizens and tourists might be. There's a
> number of reasonable complaints under this newsgroup about having to program
> bots, but many of those non-programmers might be ready to install a readymade
> web-action on some of their objects, assuming that the bot and database parts
> will be taken care of by programmers for them. Then someone's central bot could
> put clouds over that person's land whenever its Bump quota was fulfilled, and
> rain on the Bumping citizens and tourists there.

[View Quote] --------------6A3C0A0F9DBE3530B309709F

<HTML>
&nbsp;
<P><FONT SIZE=+2>You could make clouds in the Object Registry as 0 so when
citizens build thay dont get Building Inspector... And To Stop Vandiles
make them like z signs ... only serten pple can use them</FONT>
[View Quote] --------------6A3C0A0F9DBE3530B309709F--

archon manus

Feb 9, 1999, 11:23pm
>I don't get this "not centered on its 0,0,0" issue. Why can't I just have a
>little cloud rwx file and place it 40 meters off the ground (or 60 in your
case,
>my vis is only 40). It can be moved and changed for other little cloud
objects
>as the weather pattern transforms through time.

It certainly will work great. . .I was pointing out that you can put weather
40 meters away from your land on top of someone else's land :)

Probably not a polite thing to do, but certainly feasible.

Archon Manus

dthknight

Feb 9, 1999, 11:39pm
probably the best way to do something like this would be with a special
account with a name such as "Weather" which all the clouds would be created
under... the account could then have ED and that way it could create clouds
everywhere. It would delete them and move them and all too of course :)

[View Quote]

andras sarkozy

Feb 10, 1999, 11:40am
--------------7F61B74ACAA0B57EDA171C33

I have a feeling son that you mix apples with oranges. Object Registry (the registry.txt) has nothing to do with citizens.

[View Quote] >

> You could make clouds in the Object Registry as 0 so when citizens build thay dont get Building Inspector... And To Stop Vandiles make them like z signs ... only serten pple can use them

--------------7F61B74ACAA0B57EDA171C33

I have a feeling son that you mix apples with oranges. Object Registry
(the registry.txt) has nothing to do with citizens.
[View Quote] --------------7F61B74ACAA0B57EDA171C33--

wullis

------=_NextPart_000_0083_01BE55FA.F92CCB80

Uhm...

If there is going to be clouds in a whole world, why not just add the =
clouds to the ground object..? Then they will be repeated every 60 =
meter...

It works fine with snow...(:

-Wullis

------=_NextPart_000_0083_01BE55FA.F92CCB80

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 =
transitional//en">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Uhm...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>If there is going to be clouds in a =
whole world,=20
why not just add the clouds to the ground object..? Then they will be =
repeated=20
every 60 meter...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>It works fine with snow...(:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>-Wullis</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0083_01BE55FA.F92CCB80--

edward sumerfield

------=_NextPart_000_0075_01BE55CA.D445EDE0

That's an interesting approach but doesn't that mean that they would not =
changed? I would envisage clouds that change and move around.
[View Quote] -Wullis

------=_NextPart_000_0075_01BE55CA.D445EDE0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 =
HTML//EN"><!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>That's an =
interesting=20
approach but doesn't that mean that they would not changed? I would =
envisage=20
clouds that change and move around.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
<DIV>Wullis &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:wullis at trivini.8m.com">wullis at trivini.8m.com</A>&gt; =
wrote in=20
message <A =
href=3D"news:36c32bb1.0 at homer">news:36c32bb1.0 at homer</A>...</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Uhm...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>If there is going to be clouds in =
a whole=20
world, why not just add the clouds to the ground object..? Then they =
will be=20
repeated every 60 meter...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>It works fine with snow...(:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 =
size=3D2>-Wullis</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0075_01BE55CA.D445EDE0--

wullis

------=_NextPart_000_00A5_01BE5847.35B48D60

No, they wouldn't move, but you can use animated textures for rain, =
snow, etc.

------=_NextPart_000_00A5_01BE5847.35B48D60

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 =
HTML//EN"><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN"><!doctype html =
public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
<STYLE></STYLE>

</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>No, they wouldn't move, but you can =
use animated=20
textures for rain, snow, etc.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00A5_01BE5847.35B48D60--

tammy jo

------=_NextPart_000_0075_01BE5836.C8B90700

Why Not use the Z object Idea and have the owner of the world use it =
that way.

It would work and not cause a problem with building inspector but it =
would be a small problem with people who can use z objects. They could =
get angry at owner while they are not there and could go on a cloud =
frenzy with clouds all over the place.

PS if you wish to test this bot contact me in my world and I can see =
what we can do.

Horizons
288611

------=_NextPart_000_0075_01BE5836.C8B90700

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 =
HTML//EN"><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN"><!DOCTYPE HTML =
PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN"><!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html =
4.0 transitional//en">
<STYLE></STYLE>

</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Why Not use the Z object Idea and =
have the owner=20
of the world use it that way.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>It would work and not cause a =
problem with=20
building inspector but it would be a small problem with people who can =
use z=20
objects. They could get angry at owner while they are not there and =
could go on=20
a cloud frenzy with clouds all over the place.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>PS if you wish to test this bot =
contact me in my=20
world and I can see what we can do.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Horizons</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>288611</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0075_01BE5836.C8B90700--