Cell Properties (Wishlist)

Cell Properties // Wishlist

1  |

orb

Jan 7, 2004, 1:43pm
If we can select part of the terrain and bring up a control box why not have
that with individual cells?

bro

Jan 7, 2004, 1:45pm
And be able to set cell to different sizes? Yes great Idea ORB

"orb" <sharonclarke at prexar.com> wrote in
news:3ffc291e at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> If we can select part of the terrain and bring up a control box why
> not have that with individual cells?

I'm probably stupid, but I don't understand what you mean. When you click
on the terrain, you do select an individual cell. It's actually not
possible to select more than that at a time.

KAH

orb

Jan 7, 2004, 5:34pm
We can adjust terrain one section at a time.. just think a lot can be done
to have a single cell have it's own properties in AW.

"orb" <sharonclarke at prexar.com> wrote in
news:3ffc5f57 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> We can adjust terrain one section at a time.. just think a lot can be
> done to have a single cell have it's own properties in AW.

What are you talking about? A cell in the AW sense is a 10x10 m (1x1 coord)
square. Applies to both terraind and property. When you click on the
terrain with CT, you select one cell. There's no smaller unity than what
you can select, and it would require quite some rewriting to make that
possible. If you want to have more detailed terrain, you'll have to go back
to generating RWX ground objects.

KAH

orb

Jan 8, 2004, 7:00pm
LOL it was a vague idea. Some people were discussing about fog and steam
and trying to get it contained to a specific area for starters.. so sure I
dont' mind suggesting something vague that's where ideas usually start then
develop or not.

"orb" <sharonclarke at prexar.com> wrote in
news:3ffdc4e7 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> LOL it was a vague idea. Some people were discussing about fog and
> steam and trying to get it contained to a specific area for starters..
> so sure I dont' mind suggesting something vague that's where ideas
> usually start then develop or not.

You have to to say that. When you say a cell, it's understood you mean a
property/terrain cell. Your suggestion was actually how terrain works
now...

sharon..

Jan 9, 2004, 6:29pm
No that's not what I mean. I know what terrain is. I know what a cell is.
Two different things here. The initial idea was based on cells. You
highlight a cell by holding shift and Ctrl and right clicking where you will
see the highlight of the objects in that "cell" in yellow. I'm suggesting
giving a cell a properties box. Simple no?

"sharon.." <sharonclarke at prexar.com> wrote in
news:3fff0f3b at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> No that's not what I mean. I know what terrain is. I know what a
> cell is. Two different things here. The initial idea was based on
> cells. You highlight a cell by holding shift and Ctrl and right
> clicking where you will see the highlight of the objects in that
> "cell" in yellow. I'm suggesting giving a cell a properties box.
> Simple no?

What sort of properties would a cell have? It's just an abstract box you
use to divide terrain and property into for easier management.

KAH

orb

Jan 10, 2004, 6:55pm
I wish others would address the question. I just thought of a few things
earlier on such as a way to contain effects to a specific cell.

traces of something yet to be.Fragments are

codewarrior

Jan 11, 2004, 1:30am
Yes.. we're talking about real virtual worlds here.. let's not
drag abstractions into it :-)

[View Quote] (the number of objects in the current cell would be a nice abstraction
to see somewhere in the browser interface)

kah

Jan 11, 2004, 11:18am
"orb" <sharonclarke at prexar.com> wrote in news:400066b8$1
at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I wish others would address the question. I just thought of a few things
> earlier on such as a way to contain effects to a specific cell.
>

> traces of something yet to be.Fragments are

To me, your question looked pretty rethorical. In any case, I did answer
you. It's not my problem if you don't like my opinion. You still haven't
answered mine, which was a non-rethorical question. I'll repeat it: *What*
properties would a cell have?

KAH

codewarrior

Jan 11, 2004, 1:27pm
> To me, your question looked pretty rethorical. In any case, I did answer
> you. It's not my problem if you don't like my opinion. You still haven't
> answered mine, which was a non-rethorical question. I'll repeat it: *What*
> properties would a cell have?
>
> KAH

Wether it is 'passable' or not.. so you can restrict movement
to only the cells you want.

The local water level.. lakes would be cool to have as well
as an ocean.

A bit indicating if water even exists in that cell so you can have
water but turn it off inland and build depressions below sea
level.

The aforementioned # of objects it contains... just a readout
so you know ahead of time when it's near full. By a slight
stretch.. the number of polygons in that cell, the number of
textures.. perhaps even the # of bytes they all add up to.

Possibly a bit indicating if it is one of your 'build' cells if they
decided to let you scatter the 400 cells you get with a P10 around
within a larger area.

A bit that says wether or not it is a public build cell or restricted,
similar to the restricted radius feature, or possibly a cit number
indicating the ownership of the cell.

A bit saying wether the terrain in that cell points up or down,
or is double sided.

Sorry Kah.. couldn't resist throwing those out there... plus...
it was actually within my power to grant someones wish on this
list:

tart sugar

Jan 11, 2004, 2:48pm
[View Quote] **deletes stuff I don't undeerstand** o_O

> The local water level.. lakes would be cool to have as well
> as an ocean.
>
> A bit indicating if water even exists in that cell so you can have
> water but turn it off inland and build depressions below sea
> level.

YESSS!!!!! My brother had to lower the water level in his wortld, because
when he put a basement in a building, he needed a sump pump. LoL!!!

> Sorry Kah.. couldn't resist throwing those out there... plus...
> it was actually within my power to grant someones wish on this
> list:

Codewarrior? I wish I had a sack of money. *bats eyelashes* : )
Tart Sugar
I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.

codewarrior

Jan 11, 2004, 3:45pm
> Codewarrior? I wish I had a sack of money. *bats eyelashes* : )

If you pay the shipping, I will send you eighty pounds of Canadian
pennies.

tart sugar

Jan 11, 2004, 3:55pm
Pfffttttt gee thx
The shipping charge will be more than yer Canadian pennies are worth
American.