GIF patent expires, let there be image support! (Wishlist)

GIF patent expires, let there be image support! // Wishlist

1  |

sw comit

Oct 26, 2003, 5:48am
I remember AW saying, years ago, about not supporting GIF because they would
have to pay royalities. But they did imply interest in using use once the
patent expires, which has happened several months ago.

....so? ;)

bowen ten.sardna@newob

Oct 26, 2003, 5:55am
[View Quote] > I remember AW saying, years ago, about not supporting GIF because they would
> have to pay royalities. But they did imply interest in using use once the
> patent expires, which has happened several months ago.
>
> ...so? ;)

Sooooo... what about MNG too?

http://bowen.homelinux.com
Give me ideas.

builderz

Nov 3, 2003, 6:15pm
The GIF patent did indeed expire and I think adding GIF and PNG support
would be a nice touch.

Builderz
http://www.3dhost.net

[View Quote] > I remember AW saying, years ago, about not supporting GIF because they would
> have to pay royalities. But they did imply interest in using use once the
> patent expires, which has happened several months ago.
>
> ...so? ;)

rossyboy a

Nov 7, 2003, 10:17pm
Actually Commie, the GIF patent only expired in America. As you will
find out if you try and downlod the GIMP, it's still illegal to install
GIF support with it in many countries.

So :(...

"rossyboy" <a> wrote in news:3fac3622$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Actually Commie, the GIF patent only expired in America. As you will
> find out if you try and downlod the GIMP, it's still illegal to install
> GIF support with it in many countries.
>
> So :(...

The worldwide patent expires sometime in 2004 I believe. Still, there's not
a lot of point in GIF support, but this was discussed a while back already.