Aw_Avatar_Computer_ID (Wishlist)

Aw_Avatar_Computer_ID // Wishlist

1  |

john

Jul 26, 2003, 7:42pm
See http://www.activeworlds.com/sdk/aw_world_ejection_add.htm.

"If AW_EJECTION_TYPE is AW_EJECT_BY_COMPUTER, AW_EJECTION_ADDRESS specifies
the 32-bit ID of the computer to be blocked. However, there is currently no
mechanism for directly querying the ID of a user's computer from the SDK.
Ejections by computer ID are added automatically by the world server
whenever a user is ejected via aw_world_eject and their computer has an ID
available. Once the ejection is in place, the computer ID can be determined
by scanning the ejection database using either aw_world_ejection_next or
aw_world_ejection_previous. "

If it was possible to query this all sorts of things would be possible like
letting tourists only delete property that the computer they are using made,
etc.

~John

dlp anne

Jul 26, 2003, 11:19pm
That ID eject feature should be removed because you can quickly and easy
change the ID of the computer to bypass the ejection.

[View Quote]

starfleet

Jul 27, 2003, 12:05am
Lots of people don't even know how to clear cache.

[View Quote]

joeman

Jul 27, 2003, 9:11am
Without modification to software, this would require buying a new network
card ;). I don't think the average person has millions to spend on new
network cards to get around bans.

-Joe

[View Quote]

abb e norm fake@domain.

Jul 27, 2003, 9:17am
Or you could manually type in a new "Network address" in the properties for the network interface card.

"joeman" <joeman at bootdown.com> skrev i meddelandet news:3f23b37e$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Without modification to software, this would require buying a new network
> card ;). I don't think the average person has millions to spend on new
> network cards to get around bans.
>
> -Joe

[View Quote] 99% of ISPs I've seen don't allow you to do this. For good reason. I
find it funny that roadrunner tells people not to make permanent IP
numbers because everyone else wouldn't be able to get online. (which
isn't true because I'm sure I've done it twice while setting up linux
with their modem)

No of SETI units returned: 44
Processing time: 36 days, 0 hours.
(Total hours: 864)
www.setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu

abb e norm fake@domain.

Jul 27, 2003, 12:53pm
You're mixing up the MAC address and the IP address now. The MAC address is only used to
uniquely identify a network adapter on a LAN.

"bowen" <Bowen at andras.net> skrev i meddelandet news:3f23e313$2 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
[View Quote]

abb e norm fake@domain.

Jul 27, 2003, 12:58pm
oops, apparently some ISP's require you to register and always use a certain MAC address but
none of the ones I've used here in Sweden (a lot) require you to do that.

"abb e norm" <fake at domain.> skrev i meddelandet news:3f23e773 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> You're mixing up the MAC address and the IP address now. The MAC address is only used to
> uniquely identify a network adapter on a LAN.

john

Jul 27, 2003, 1:01pm
Its not that I want it for ejection purposes - I want it to stop tourists
who didn't build objects deleting other people's.... :-S

~John

[View Quote] No, I am not confusing the MAC address with a permanent IP. You were
suggesting setting up a permanent IP.

No of SETI units returned: 44
Processing time: 36 days, 0 hours.
(Total hours: 864)
www.setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu

abb e norm fake@domain.

Jul 27, 2003, 5:29pm
Setting a permanent IP is done in the TCP/IP settings. I clearly stated that I was talking about the
network interface card properties.

"bowen" <Bowen at andras.net> skrev i meddelandet news:3f23f9dd$2 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
[View Quote]

starfleet

Jul 27, 2003, 6:10pm
Lots of people don't have a CompID, those tourists can't even delete their own stuff
then?

[View Quote] "Or you could manually type in a new "Network address" in the properties
for the network interface card."

I don't see "Network Address" anywhere under TCP/IP's configs for any
device that connects to any network service. Unless you meant "IP
address" instead of "Network Address." That reasonably makes more sense
than "Machine Address Code."

But, you have to be more clear. You can't "set" a MAC address through
any reasonable means last I checked. NIC are just fancy acronym for
ethernet cards, and their configurations through TCP is just the same as
any other device (modems for instance).

Maybe I missed the option that let me set it's network address though. :(

No of SETI units returned: 44
Processing time: 36 days, 0 hours.
(Total hours: 864)
www.setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu

abb e norm fake@domain.

Jul 27, 2003, 7:22pm
> I don't see "Network Address" anywhere under TCP/IP's configs for any
> device that connects to any network service. Unless you meant "IP
> address" instead of "Network Address." That reasonably makes more sense
> than "Machine Address Code."

As I said, it's in the NIC properties and not in the TCP/IP properties.

> But, you have to be more clear. You can't "set" a MAC address through
> any reasonable means last I checked. NIC are just fancy acronym for
> ethernet cards, and their configurations through TCP is just the same as
> any other device (modems for instance).

It's very easy in Windows 2000 (or newer) provided that the NIC driver supports it.

> Maybe I missed the option that let me set it's network address though. :(

Bring up the list of hardware, expand the "Network cards" branch select properties on the NIC,
click on the "Advanced" tab. There you should be able to set the "Network address".

john

Jul 28, 2003, 4:07pm
They would be able to but other people - :-S

~John