Proposal: AW2 (Wishlist)

Proposal: AW2 // Wishlist

1  |

talisan

Apr 20, 2003, 4:59pm
I am proposing that a new project to develope AW2 be explored which would
require a complete rewrite of the browser from ground zero using the latest
in technology and lack of backward compatibility. Requiring the most recent
DirectX, CPU(P3 or better processor), video(Geforce2+/Radeon 9000+) and
OS(Windows XP/2000)

I am proposing that AW2 run along side AW1 and that AW1 not be dropped or
abandoned until such time as AW people migrate from one system to the other
in suffient numbers as to warrant abandoning it

I would also propose that Contact lists be mutual between AW1 and AW2 as to
not abandon communication between users in either system.

I would further propose that if this topic is at all debated in this forum
that a respected reader of these newsgroups be elected as secretary to keep
track of the debate and list the proposals and ideas for AW2 in an up to
date features/requirements list to be reposted and updated twice monthly or
as required.

I nominate Technozeus for that position.

Respectfully
-Talisan

defiance

Apr 20, 2003, 10:43pm
I'm never gonna install 2K or XP.

[View Quote]

ryan

Apr 20, 2003, 11:05pm
AW2? Just what would that be? A technologically enhanced AW?

Ryan

[View Quote]

tony m

Apr 21, 2003, 2:22am
[View Quote] >AW2? Just what would that be? A technologically enhanced AW?

AW2 would be a complete rewrite of the AW browser; which would make it technologically enhanced, yes.

tony m

Apr 21, 2003, 2:30am
I'm 100% right there with you in proposing a browser rewrite. It's becoming obvious now that the browser's current architecture is making future expansion very difficult; just look at what happened to the movement system. Of course, backwards compatability with AW1 would be very important as everybody transitions into AW2, but eventually AW1 will have to be dropped, as you proposed, after it's no longer fit to keep AW1 running.

[View Quote] >I am proposing that a new project to develope AW2 be explored which would require a complete rewrite of the browser from ground zero using the latest in technology and lack of backward compatibility. Requiring the most recent DirectX, CPU(P3 or better processor), video(Geforce2+/Radeon 9000+) and OS(Windows XP/2000)

>I am proposing that AW2 run along side AW1 and that AW1 not be dropped or abandoned until such time as AW people migrate from one system to the other in suffient numbers as to warrant abandoning it

>I would also propose that Contact lists be mutual between AW1 and AW2 as to not abandon communication between users in either system.

>I would further propose that if this topic is at all debated in this forum that a respected reader of these newsgroups be elected as secretary to keep track of the debate and list the proposals and ideas for AW2 in an up to date features/requirements list to be reposted and updated twice monthly or as required.

>I nominate Technozeus for that position.

I second the nomination.

john

Apr 21, 2003, 10:50am
AW would NEVER considor this... I hate to be negative..... but they dont
like adding small functions.... think of a whole new browser.. .loL!

[View Quote]

jstone2004

Apr 22, 2003, 12:11am
that's somewhat what they are doing... recently, they completely re-wrote
from scratch the movement code, which is one reason 3.4 has taken so long

ubermonkey

Apr 22, 2003, 5:22am
I would imagine the main reason for this is simply a lack of money and
manpower. Rewriting the browser may be worth it, but we have to consider
that it will take a huge chunk of development time and really wouldn't make
sense unless they were in a stable position.

[View Quote]

rossyboy

Apr 22, 2003, 3:30pm
They can add support for new technology without rewriting the browser...

by the way, it's not likely that I'm ever going to upgrade my comp,
except perhaps the graphics card. There are probably a lot of users on
AW who aren't planning to upgrade either.

One of the main reasons I like AW is that it works great on my old slow
computer. It works with old versions of Windows (if you were planning to
make AW use only the latest DirectX, and Microsoft, as they most likely
will, suddenly decides to make all future versions of DirectX available
to only XP users, you've got a real problem) and it doesn't need anything
really special to run.

Would it be a sound business decision? I haven't seen many users
complaining about AW not using the latest hardware. I certainly haven't
seen anyone LEAVING AW over it. But requiring that you upgrade your
computer to stay in AW... I think you would lose a considerable
percentage of AW citizens.

"talisan" <wardaor at !hotmail.com> wrote this
(news:3ea2dfe5$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com) in wishlist on 20 Apr 2003:

> I am proposing that a new project to develope AW2 be explored which
> would require a complete rewrite of the browser from ground zero using
> the latest in technology and lack of backward compatibility. Requiring
> the most recent DirectX, CPU(P3 or better processor),
> video(Geforce2+/Radeon 9000+) and OS(Windows XP/2000)
>
> I am proposing that AW2 run along side AW1 and that AW1 not be dropped
> or abandoned until such time as AW people migrate from one system to
> the other in suffient numbers as to warrant abandoning it
>
> I would also propose that Contact lists be mutual between AW1 and AW2
> as to not abandon communication between users in either system.
>
> I would further propose that if this topic is at all debated in this
> forum that a respected reader of these newsgroups be elected as
> secretary to keep track of the debate and list the proposals and ideas
> for AW2 in an up to date features/requirements list to be reposted and
> updated twice monthly or as required.
>
> I nominate Technozeus for that position.
>
> Respectfully
> -Talisan

panther1403

Apr 28, 2003, 1:13pm
>Requiring the most recent
>DirectX, CPU(P3 or better processor), video(Geforce2+/Radeon 9000+) and
>OS(Windows XP/2000)

well for one most ppl don't have those. my comp (laptop. its all i have and
i like it that way. besides it kicks ass) is brand new and i dont even have
that. i have a P4 2.4Ghz (one requirement met), 512Mb ram, 32mb Mobility
Radeon 7500 (Oops. oh well looks like i wont be using AW2. And i dont think
its as easy to upgrade a laptop as it is a desktop), Windows XP (I know
microsoft is a b**ch but it works a lot better than the other widows OSes iv
used (starting from my first comp to the one i had before this one, iv used
Windows 3.4, 95, 98, 98SE and ME.) Its also a lot more stable than all the
rest.) ((like that =P. im having fun with my posts. kind of lame. =P))
those requirements really limit how many ppl can actualy use AW2. i doubt
many are willing to go out and buy a new computer just to use AW, but you
never know.

panther1403

Apr 28, 2003, 1:16pm
crap i sent my post before reading this one. lol did i totaly restate what
you just said. =P

and whos gonna pay for all this? im sure aw arent! look how long it took
them to update the browser, how long do you think it will take to make a
new, better one?

-SWE Wu