Statistic fields in citizen options (Wishlist)

Statistic fields in citizen options // Wishlist

I think it would be good if there were optional entries
for CPU speed and video chipset, those should be
transfered to the universe server, together with the
video mode.

From the hardware people report to Beta there seem to be
2 equal-sized groups :

- 333 - 450 MHz, simple video card
- 1800 - 2800 MHz, latest 3D accelerator

A statistics about this would help the AW developers to
make decisions what needs to be optional and what can be
added without beeing able to switch it off.

andras

Dec 26, 2002, 5:26pm
[View Quote] Unfortunately this "statistic" would cause a big uproar since it is a breach of privacy. I am not recommending to do that.
OTOH to have an option for the beta group to provide their settings/hardware description should be a must IMHO.

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

brock

Dec 26, 2002, 5:33pm
why not just have it so that when you run aw each time it runs a quick test
in the background and sends the information on a file to AW and updates only
when info changes. ;)

--
Brock - 308723
AW 3.4 Build: Uh ??? a very big number.
Brock at iceflare.net

From Newbie Guide to the Newsgroup (4th Edition):

"Brock - This dude with a 'tude isn't afraid to speak his mind,
especially when it concerns others in his own age range. In other words,
the perfect NG candidate."
[View Quote]

ryan jacob

Dec 26, 2002, 5:36pm
I don't see how simple hardware settings could be a breach of privacy
provided personal details like IP address, etc. are not provided. Anonymous
user statistics never hurt anyone.

Ryan Jacob

Two optional fields. No one needs to fill them :)

A reason why some companies and governements now decided
to migrate stuff to Linux is : XP does that.

Thats what Bonzi Buddy says 2 ;)

agent1

Dec 26, 2002, 9:10pm
*boggle* The corporate edition doesn't have any of that registration stuff.

technozeus

Dec 27, 2002, 4:44am
Some people may not want somebody knowing what a dinosaur they're running. :)

As long as it's an option that's off unless you turn it on though, that shouldn't be a problem.

Another variation might be to allow a crash report to be sent by simply verifying that it's okay to send it, or choosing to send it with additional notes that you could type in. Such a report could include system specs if you choose to let it.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

technozeus

Dec 27, 2002, 4:46am
And a button that you can click to have them automatically filled?

TechnoZeus

I would not be too sure about that. Officially it does not,
but officially the NSA keys did not exist either first.
Microsoft often gave out false or no informations about
those things or demented their existance.
Until some indepedant company prooved it.

A friend/coworker of mine told me that his XP pro sometimes
tries to connect to Microsoft when he isn't online and gives
no error message when the connection fails. I think he found
that in the router logs. I will ask him when work starts
again (next year).

Well, my company is not one of the intelligent ones and will
supply our PCs with XP soon. I am glad that I use it mostly
for just starting telnet, secure shell or xterm sessions :)

Dinosaurs existed for millions of years, mammals cannot
look back on such a successful history yet.

[P2/400, WinNT4]

[View Quote]

technozeus

Dec 27, 2002, 5:31am
:)

"ryan jacob" <ryan_jacob at hotmail.com> wrote in
news:3e0b5a29$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I don't see how simple hardware settings could be a breach of privacy
> provided personal details like IP address, etc. are not provided.
> Anonymous user statistics never hurt anyone.

You do realise that your IP is always sent to any host you connect to? And
that it wouldn't work if it wasn't?