Include rotate (Wishlist)

Include rotate // Wishlist

1  |

saber mage

Nov 23, 2002, 10:51pm
I just was thinking-it would be nice if aw could take a group of objects
with the same name, set a rotation axis point for the group, and rotate them
as one object. Example: rotate 0 5 0 include=rotateobj
This could be useful for the dreamers out there (such as me) that want a
rotating house =oP. This would go nicely hand-in-hand with the "grip"
command i wished out ealier. Also a thing like this for the move command
too! the only disadvantage this may pose is that you cant create named
objects anymore with it rotating with the rest. This problem can be solved
by setting a secondary name. Example: create includename rotateobj, name
secretdoor
That would create a special name that could only be used by the include
command in rotate and move, and at the same time have a different name for
creating a texture or moving if your includename is only rotating, vice
versa etc. I understand this would be more work than its worth (maybe) but
it would be pretty sweet.

P.S.: technozeus's ride command is pretty sweet soundin, maybe the include
command could go with that too, for a complex little autopilot train or
something =oP

hal9000

Nov 24, 2002, 1:08am
I asked Roland about this when in the 3.1 beta, he promised me he would put
it on the to-do list for 3.2 or 3.3... or was it in the 3.2 beta....
anyway... my idea was "rotate around=axisobject" that way you could have
something rotating around something that is rotating around something else
(i.e. for my purposes a moon rotating around a planet, which is rotating
around the sun). He told me that it wouldn't be a difficult thing to code,
because of the way the rotate/move commands are implemented, but i have yet
to see it.

--
Hal9000 (290462)
Worlds: Discover, Planets, Revolt76

[View Quote]

technozeus

Nov 24, 2002, 2:53am
I've also asked for this... years ago... and more recently here in this newsgroup using the Set command on the object to use as the center, and the Orbit command to set up rotation around that point. The orbit command could also be used as a substitute for the rotate command by setting the object to orbit around it's own origin. Since Orbit and Rotate would be independant of each other, one of them could be used with a time limit to tilt an object so that the other one could rotate the object on a tilted axis... however I would still recommend adding a third command specifically for tilting an object so that an object could orbit while rotating on a tilted axis.

Checkout the Orbit command:
November 22nd, 2002
news:3ddeecd7$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com
Re: AW Command (Was Simulation Utility)

[View Quote]

hal9000

Nov 24, 2002, 3:21am
i like your idea better.. then i could have my planets rotating on their
axis, while orbiting sun...

--
Hal9000 (290462)
Worlds: Discover, Planets, Revolt76

[View Quote]

technozeus

Nov 24, 2002, 4:35am
Yeah, would be cool, huh? :)

Glad you like it.
One for the Feature Vote suggestion box maybe? :)

It would also allow many types of complex smooth curved paths to be followed by objects, as well as paths with arbitrary sharp angles, and various combinations.

TechnoZeus