Collision Detection (Wishlist)

Collision Detection // Wishlist

1  |

dion

Nov 2, 2002, 3:52pm
It should be a world option set by caretakers only. It should also be a user
setting. If the world allows it, the user can over-ride it and disallow it
but if the world doesn't allow it, the user cannot allow it through their
settings.

-Dion

agent1 webmaster@shatteredplattersdotcom

Nov 2, 2002, 4:48pm
What do you mean by "collision detection"? World owners can already specify whether or not people can use Shift to pass through objects, and they also control whether avatar collisions occur.

grimble

Nov 2, 2002, 6:25pm
I agree with Dion if it referred to Avatar collision. To be perfectly
honest, I don't see why a check for avatars collisions is really necessary
at this point in AW anyway as I don't feel it helps the world at all and yet
can have a profound on the performance of the clients in a reasonably
populated area.

If we wanted to go a bit "option crazy", we could always have an additional
"overidable" indicator on the setting, but as I said I struggle to see a
benefit in the feature anyway (except for a vain attempt to add more realism
into an environment that is obviously a long way short of it to date).

AV collision can be useful for game worlds - a dragon
might block an entrance and you should not just walk
through the dragons stomach - except using the mouth
as entrance if the dragon decides so :)
Or a narrow bridge where not 2 AVs can cross in both
directions at the same time.

[View Quote]

dion

Nov 3, 2002, 1:41am
Actually I was refering to the slide thing. Was that called "Slide
Detection"? Damn, I can't remember what it was called. It's that thing that
makes you slide along objects and 80% of the time, go through them (which is
rather annoying to builders who make gaming worlds).

Sorry for the confusion.

[View Quote]

grimble

Nov 3, 2002, 12:13pm
In that case, the real wish should be "*Fix* the slide detection so that you
don't pass through objects or struggle to climb stairs/ladders".

[View Quote]

grimble

Nov 3, 2002, 2:59pm
Fair point, but a high price to pay across the entire world for the sake of
such features I think (my view obviously).

[View Quote]

dion

Nov 3, 2002, 3:35pm
If you say so, but I figure it'd be a rather daunting task to fix. I'd
rather just get rid of it, I never thought it was all that useful in the
first place.

[View Quote]

lethys

Nov 4, 2002, 6:29pm
Slide detection is a piece of junk, and I think AW should dispose of it
immediatly. Many ladders no longer work in AW, and the 'wall glitch' has
become very common - it's death to any person who tries to make a gaming
world.

Don't get me wrong AW, it's a good idea, but you have to fix it up a bit.

"grimble" <grimble2000 at btinternet.com> wrote in
news:3dc56410 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Fair point, but a high price to pay across the entire world for the
> sake of such features I think (my view obviously).

I'd say that it's quite a simple feature that shouldn't hog much CPU time
on half-decent systems if the AW collision detection is written well. I
don't see why you're so fussy about collision detection, it's quite a basic
and simple feature.

"lethys" <conradsk at rogers.com> wrote in
news:3dc6e6b1$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Slide detection is a piece of junk, and I think AW should dispose of
> it immediatly. Many ladders no longer work in AW, and the 'wall
> glitch' has become very common - it's death to any person who tries to
> make a gaming world.
>
> Don't get me wrong AW, it's a good idea, but you have to fix it up a
> bit.

The going through walls thing is probably due to bugs in the object
placement/building code that makes tiny gaps between objects, that are
easy to go through when you slide along it and constantly check collision
status. They could do an ugly fix by checking status for a wider area:
This illustration should make it clearer (I hope, turn raw text/a fixed
size font on to see it correctly!):

<-------5m--------><-------5m-------->
*-----------------**-----------------*
| || |
|Wall A ||Wall B |
|Position: ||Position: |
|2.5m Z ||-2.5m Z |
| || |
*-----------------**-----------------*
^^
*tiny* gap

Theoretically there should be no gap between these objects, right? But in
practice (in AW) there is. You're able to go through it because collision
seemingly only checks for a 0 (or something like 0.0001) width area on
the surface:

*-----------------**-----------------*
| || |
|Wall A ||Wall B |
|Position: ||Position: |
|2.5m Z ||-2.5m Z |
| || |
*-----------------**-----------------*
[]
^^
Area checked for collision status. Width: ~0

It could be fixed by increasing it a bit:

*-----------------**-----------------*
| || |
|Wall A ||Wall B |
|Position: ||Position: |
|2.5m Z ||-2.5m Z |
| || |
*-----------------**-----------------*
[ ]
<-0.5->

Okay, enough ASCII diagrams, hope it illustrates my idea :-))

The avatar boundary box size would be a good width for this test.

But I think, Lethys is right, it should be worked over or there
should be a command or RWX statement to switch it ON, default
should be OFF. It is OK on walls, but on nearly all other objects
it's useless. When I stumble into a table in R/L, I usually hurt
my toes and the table might fall down, but I sure do not slide
along the table.

And the ladder problem IS a bad problem :(

[View Quote]

andras

Nov 5, 2002, 6:41am
The "wall glitch" is the straight result of the registry. Even the walls are perfectly lined up, the registry has 5-5 cm smaller sizes reported. This small difference is due to the BI and the rounding problems around far addresses in AW.

Of course it is a bug but slightly different than your interpretation.

Andras

[View Quote] > "lethys" wrote in
> news:3dc6e6b1$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:
>

> The going through walls thing is probably due to bugs in the object
> placement/building code that makes tiny gaps between objects, that are
> easy to go through when you slide along it and constantly check collision
> status. They could do an ugly fix by checking status for a wider area:
> This illustration should make it clearer (I hope, turn raw text/a fixed
> size font on to see it correctly!):
>
> <-------5m--------><-------5m-------->
> *-----------------**-----------------*
> | || |
> |Wall A ||Wall B |
> |Position: ||Position: |
> |2.5m Z ||-2.5m Z |
> | || |
> *-----------------**-----------------*
> ^^
> *tiny* gap
>
> Theoretically there should be no gap between these objects, right? But in
> practice (in AW) there is. You're able to go through it because collision
> seemingly only checks for a 0 (or something like 0.0001) width area on
> the surface:
>
> *-----------------**-----------------*
> | || |
> |Wall A ||Wall B |
> |Position: ||Position: |
> |2.5m Z ||-2.5m Z |
> | || |
> *-----------------**-----------------*
> []
> ^^
> Area checked for collision status. Width: ~0
>
> It could be fixed by increasing it a bit:
>
> *-----------------**-----------------*
> | || |
> |Wall A ||Wall B |
> |Position: ||Position: |
> |2.5m Z ||-2.5m Z |
> | || |
> *-----------------**-----------------*
> [ ]
> <-0.5->
>
> Okay, enough ASCII diagrams, hope it illustrates my idea :-))
>
> KAH

ncc 71854

Nov 5, 2002, 7:01am
One should still not be able to walk through a 10cm wide gap.

[View Quote]

dion

Nov 5, 2002, 8:58am
I don't normally slide along a wall iether, I hit it.

[View Quote]

talisan

Nov 6, 2002, 12:44am
[View Quote] LOL, I agree. I've actually somehow managed to pass through supposedly solid
walls... not 2 walls side by side. In NewAW there is a jail I got stuck
in... well, I was put there in a moment of jest... and I actually
slide(facing backwards) against the rear wall and fell out. Grimm seemed to
stare at me and wondered how I did it, he went inside and tried to duplicate
it but didn't. Explain this one :)

> LOL, I agree. I've actually somehow managed to pass through supposedly solid
> walls... not 2 walls side by side. In NewAW there is a jail I got stuck
> in... well, I was put there in a moment of jest... and I actually
> slide(facing backwards) against the rear wall and fell out. Grimm seemed to
> stare at me and wondered how I did it, he went inside and tried to duplicate
> it but didn't. Explain this one :)

Collision detection glitch, they can't solve it though from my position unless they
take out CD.

--Bowen--

grimble

Nov 6, 2002, 9:28am
I'm not fussy about it at all, numpty.

[View Quote]

technozeus

Dec 1, 2002, 2:02am
Different people will find different features useful for different reasons.

As far as going "option crazy" I actually like your idea of having an "overrideable" switch, not just on this one option, but on any option that might make sense to add one to.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

technozeus

Dec 1, 2002, 2:12am
Actually, there are a lot of uses to allowing people to slide along objects. The main one is to keep people who don't aim very well from getting frustrated about not being able to move at all. Keep in mind that climbing a ladder is a type of slide detection also, so getting rid of it completely would mean just stopping dead in your tracks whenever you are in contact with pretty much any object other than something parallel to the ground plain such as a walk object. Terrain would also be basically unusable. What really needs to be done is to have it fixed, and I'm pretty sure they are already working on that. In addition to that, it may also be nice to allow some kind of world prefferences for just how it works, as in some worlds it may be more beneficial to assume that an object at a certain angle is meant to be climbed easily and not easily fallen off of to either side, while in another world it may make more sense to assume that such an object is meant to be an obstical which can be walked easily around, but climbed only with careful manuvering and extra effort.

TechnoZeus