Cap CPU Usage by Framerate (Wishlist)

Cap CPU Usage by Framerate // Wishlist

There needs to be something where AWorld.exe will stop using all processing powet to get a higher framerate after it reaches 1 thats been defined by the user, say 20fps.

This feature is already implemented. Came with 3.2 I think.

How can we set it then? Because AW is still eating over 2 GHZ of processing power at 90fps....

talisan

Oct 24, 2002, 8:19pm
Fer gosh sakes, why do you need 90fps? 30 is enough. :P

That was the point of this thread... LOL

In 2.2 you could have some 600fps when you ended up in Nirvana
and that doesn't happen anymore. It happened when you entered
a universe/galaxy with no green worlds.

Limiting it was a new thing that has been announced as a new
feature, but I have no idea where this limit is now, because
my current PC will never reach it in normal worlds. I haven't
tried to many new universes anymore lately so I cannot tell
what would happen if you're nowhere.

"ananas" <vha at oct31.de> wrote in news:3DB8C5CA.628E9D5D at oct31.de:

> In 2.2 you could have some 600fps when you ended up in Nirvana
> and that doesn't happen anymore. It happened when you entered
> a universe/galaxy with no green worlds.
>
> Limiting it was a new thing that has been announced as a new
> feature, but I have no idea where this limit is now, because
> my current PC will never reach it in normal worlds. I haven't
> tried to many new universes anymore lately so I cannot tell
> what would happen if you're nowhere.

A common limit is 60fps (in full screen mode, wich AW hasn't got of course,
so it doesn't really apply). You wouldn't really need any more than that,
it's the framerate of a tv set (IMHO 24 should be enough, unless you think
the picture in movies is too slow).

KAH

technozeus

Nov 30, 2002, 6:10am
I think what was being asked for is a way to set a limit manually, in addition to any preset limits. Some time ago I suggested that a maximum frame rate option be added, and set at a default value of 30 fps, because although some people may notice a flicker if a light flashes that slow (such as the vertical refresh rate on a monitor) the images in ActiveWorlds are not disapearing between frames, so most people can't see the difference between 30 fps and anything higher anyway... and those few that can see the difference could opt to set it a little higher if their processor can handle it. Personally, I would probably set it as 3 fps on the slow computers I'm running, so that it would never waste the little processing power I have keeping up a higher frame rate than necessary.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

j b e l l

Nov 30, 2002, 6:38pm
Amen.

[View Quote] We understand you and TZ don't post regularly; there's no need to keep doing this...

--Bowen--
especially if you're just saying "Yes I agree."

j b e l l

Dec 2, 2002, 1:39am
Yes I Agree.

lol, jk.. ;-)

(i'm the king of useless posts.. tyvm..)