Key assignments (Wishlist)

Key assignments // Wishlist

I just noticed that ESC seems to be completely unused.
It would be the right key to assign to a combination
from "Undo changes" (backspace) and "Close window"
(not assigned to a key) in the Object Properties window.

The current key assignment for "Undo changes" is a bug,
because it is not available as soon as an edit field has
the focus, it should be Ctrl-U or Ctrl-Z

What I always miss, is a key to straighten the view. As it
is a movement key, it should be on the numpad, the unused
keys "multiply" or "divide" would be my choice for that.
I would have expected it to be on the "5" key, but that's
already taken :-/

A better thing would be a mapable keyboard layout... come on it's not that hard.
I've seen a whole bunch on the web for people to use, if need by nab one of those.
o_O

--Bowen--

agent1 webmaster@shatteredplattersdotcom

Oct 6, 2002, 2:21pm
It would actually be far from easy. You would first have to rewrite the entire input system so that pressing a key didn't directly do something, but performed an action based on the keymap. Then you would have to add a new section to aworld.ini (or some other location) which defined what each key did.
Of course all of this would require changes to *all* of the documentation that made reference to specific keys. You can't tell people that if they press "END" they will switch to third-person view anymore unless you know they haven't changed that part of their layout.
You would also need to add a new dialog (and document it in help) for changing and managing the keyboard layouts.

Anyway, it's a lot more difficult to add than you seem to think. Just because you've "seen a whole bunch on the web for people to use" doesn't mean that it would be trivial to add them to a commercial product.

> It would actually be far from easy. You would first have to rewrite the entire
input system so that pressing a key didn't directly do something, but performed an
action based on the keymap. Then you would have to add a new section to aworld.ini
(or some other location) which defined what each key did.

Far from easy, right, you being the expert on all that's right in this world. How
would you know exactly how it's set up? Maybe it IS set up so that certain variables
are assigned to certain keys. All they would need to do is ta

> Of course all of this would require changes to *all* of the documentation that made
reference to specific keys. You can't tell people that if they press "END" they will
switch to third-person view anymore unless you know they haven't changed that part of
their layout.

Have you ever played a video game in your life? Most will say "The default layout of
the keys, END will switch you into third person." A few word changes here and there
hardly would mean "all" of the document.

> You would also need to add a new dialog (and document it in help) for changing and
managing the keyboard layouts.

That is where all of the others can come in handy.

> Anyway, it's a lot more difficult to add than you seem to think. Just because
you've "seen a whole bunch on the web for people to use" doesn't mean that it would
be trivial to add them to a commercial product.

Actually, last I checked the browser was free. The citizenship would be the
commercial product.

> Far from easy, right, you being the expert on all that's right in this world. How
> would you know exactly how it's set up? Maybe it IS set up so that certain
variables
> are assigned to certain keys. All they would need to do is ta

Pardon me I just got up:

All they would need to do is to set up one that coheres with all of the functions
they need to do. Certainly not painstaking unless the code is FUBAR. Certainly not
long either, unless long to you is a couple of days -> week.

agent1 webmaster@shatteredplattersdotcom

Oct 6, 2002, 4:45pm
*yawn* Now who's trolling?

Anyway, why not explain your idea a little more so I can understand what you're really talking about? I don't see what you suggest being possible without major changes.

> *yawn* Now who's trolling?

Right, I'm trolling. I go around and read for posts and reply with nothing but
synical responses.

> Anyway, why not explain your idea a little more so I can understand what you're
really talking about? I don't see what you suggest being possible without major
changes.

You haven't done much work with key inputs for movement and such have you? Even Fox
(who is really good at this stuff) said at most it would take is a couple of days.
"One day to implement, two or three to debug. Modular = easier :P"

Didn't think it was that hard to comprehend to assign the keys as variables and store
it in the aworld.ini and allow users who know what they're doing to edit it. Not
necessarily needing a GUI interface to change it.

Indeed, with C++ handling event handlers number based it should be easy as hell. When the browser detects a KeyPress event check its ASCII code and if the cursor is in the text box. If not a simple switch statement / loop that will read the values in it, and call events as required. To make it editable simply add a few GetPrivateProfileString(x) comments in.

stuct s_keydata
{
int i_id
long int thread_id
}

int total_keys;
s_keydata keyset[total_keys];

for(int i; i<=total_keys, i++)
{
if((m_keyascii==keyset[i].i_id)&&(focusitem!=IDC_ENTERCHAT)){
call keyset[i].thread_id //God knows how you call functions in C++, it happens in AW_EVENT_SET im sure AWInc can handle it.
}
}

/* Please note this is probably COMPLETE rubbish, my C++ is as good as a dead rabbits hopping ability.
so Blah! */

With most win32 compilers it's even easier than that. Just simply call a case/switch
and apply variables to certain keys (in this case all standard 101/102 keyboards),
have the user set which is what with either a config file (ini) or a window in
browser.

Sure it's a little more complex, but I don't have my book handy. It's certainly not
as hard as chat bubbles.

"agent1" <webmaster at shatteredplattersDOTcom> wrote in
news:3da06317 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

><<snipped weird stuff>>

What? Man, don't go around saying so much silly stuff. It's so stupidly
easy that even an advanced newbie could manage to do it (to some extent).
So I think that professional programmers might be able to do it quite
easily and rapidly. It would also make the input system much cleaner and
easier to maintain. Go back to programming school before you continue to
talk about things you know naught about.