Allow default objects for black triangles (Wishlist)

Allow default objects for black triangles // Wishlist

1  |

talisan

Aug 24, 2002, 8:48pm
I WISH...

... in a world without a registry, that the world owner be able to add a
default (object/object definition) to replace the black triangles that show
up when an error/mispelling/etc takes place.

I would suggest if this be considered that the default object be required
small. Say no more than a 256 byte definitiion that might include a simple
object(3d or facer) and a color or texture.

Say for example I want to find all the error'd objects in a world that has
been around for 2 years(true scenario), I could change the original black
triangle to a red flashing sphere, and thus locate each offending object and
delete it, or correct it.
I know this would be useful to me in my current project.

As a positive side effect, some worlds could use this to their advantage, by
making every mistake a citizen makes into a blade of grass, a tree, or a
star. There would certainly be some interesting potential.

-Talisan

maki

Aug 24, 2002, 8:53pm
lol, interesting idea, maybe, but I'd say the object would have to be a huge
and/or not used frequently object...you might get it mixed up with other
things. Say you're making a pile of grass, lots of blades...and you want to
use another object, you type it in wrong and another blade of grass pops up.
:-) One: that might be too small to notice; Two: the selected object might
mix in with surrounding objects, unless perhaps you could specify the object
to be used in worlds features, or select ti to be the default
triangle...then it might work :-)

maki

[View Quote]

agent1

Aug 24, 2002, 10:05pm
Can't you just change unknown.rwx?

talisan

Aug 24, 2002, 11:34pm
Can you?

[View Quote]

talisan

Aug 24, 2002, 11:57pm
OK, how do you make it work? I made a an unknown.ziprwx), placed it in the
OP and I made some intentional errors on some objects and ended up with
black triangles as expected... they did not change into spheres as I had
hoped they were.

ModelBegin
Surface .5 .3 0
color .535 .53 .525
texture red
sphere .2 8
ModelEnd

That's what I made, smaller than the unknown.zip from the megamodels.zip

So, please, tell me how this works, I'd love it if it did, would save me so
much time.

[View Quote]

talisan

Aug 25, 2002, 12:08am
I did a search of the AW Online help, and I can not find any reference to
unknown.zip/.rwx or error's. Perhaps they forgot to include that. BUT, I do
see that the content of the original unknown.zip that it is indeed a
triangle facer object.

ModelBegin

ClumpBegin
Hints NULL
AxisAlignment ZOrientY
Vertex -0.02 0 0
Vertex 0.02 0 0
Vertex 0 0.02 0
Triangle 1 2 3
ClumpEnd

ModelEnd

No, the code for the triangle facer is hardcoded.

The fetch.php script does that (optional)

http://oct31.de/aw/fetch

[View Quote]

ncc 72897

Aug 25, 2002, 6:21am
A bot which scans the area, then compares it with the registry, then deletes
all objects which it can't find in the registry.

Not a bot, but maybe helpful :

http://oct31.de/aw/awpropcheck/index.html

It can copy the coords to the clipboard in teleport format
so you can go there quick to fix it.

Needs the old propdump format though

[View Quote]

agent1

Aug 25, 2002, 11:27am
I could've sworn someone had replaced unknown.rwx and had the triangles be
something else. Guess I was wrong.

"agent1" <Agent1 at ShatteredPlatters.com> wrote in
news:3d68db24$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I could've sworn someone had replaced unknown.rwx and had the
> triangles be something else. Guess I was wrong.

I believe this used to be possible in older versions?

maybe an old browser version - or he used a
scripted object path?

[View Quote]

technozeus

Nov 16, 2002, 10:59am