fractional coordinates in titlebar display (Wishlist)

fractional coordinates in titlebar display // Wishlist

1  |

ncc 72897

Jul 12, 2002, 1:18pm
there should be an option to show the current position in fractional
coordinates on the titlebar like "27.5N 90.7W facing 084"

and .PNG images should be allowed in create picture commands to create
masked pictures..

joeman

Jul 12, 2002, 6:15pm
PNG support would add about 600kb of bulk onto the browser.

-Joe

Any idea as to other formats Joe? GIF, BMP etc?

- Mark

milesteg

Jul 12, 2002, 7:20pm
600 ko of bulk???? for a simple codec???
LOL I hope you re joking or you should think longer before posting ;)

and I agree with ncc, png support would be a great improvement, jpg look
ugly when you have textures without smooth transition (ie: chessboard ,
text, etc...).

Regards,
MilesTeg

"joeman" <Joeman at bootdown.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
3d2f38f0 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> PNG support would add about 600kb of bulk onto the browser.
>
> -Joe

[View Quote]

joeman

Jul 12, 2002, 7:37pm
No, Roland tried adding it to the browser. The library files added about
600kb of bulk to the browser, if my memory serves me right :).

-Joe

[View Quote]

milesteg

Jul 13, 2002, 9:25am
well i wonder which library he tried ;)
the default implementation for png is libpng.dll and it is about 230kb .. it
needs another dll, zlib.dll which has a size of 26 kb ... so we have a total
of 256kb and it is for a complete support of png .. and that it is much more
than we actually need, we just want to decode png , not to encode it ;)
so they would get the code source and take only the parts we need...

another way would be to simply use directx to do the trick ( DXSurface ) ..
because it can load png, jpeg, gif or bmp.
That would add 3 image type support in place of only one... not bad ? ;)))

Regards,
MilesTeg

"joeman" <Joeman at bootdown.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
3d2f4c14$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> No, Roland tried adding it to the browser. The library files added about
> 600kb of bulk to the browser, if my memory serves me right :).
>
> -Joe

[View Quote]

joeman

Jul 13, 2002, 6:47pm
Well, I dunno which library he tried, but this is also coming from a person
who refused to implement GIF support... Well, who knows, maybe grimm can
whip something up :).

-Joe

[View Quote]

grimble

Jul 13, 2002, 7:47pm
I don't think "refused" is really the word here - implementing GIF support
in commercial products involves license fees which makes it a corporate
decision of AWC as to whether they see sufficient benefit in it to pay them.
Apart from the principle of paying for the "right" to use a graphics format
(which is outrageous in itself) I don't the licence fees come that cheap for
a product that until recently was supported by those that use it by way of a
$20 a year fee.

Maybe now there's a more realisitic pricetag on the product, they would
consider it.

Grims

[View Quote]

milesteg

Jul 13, 2002, 8:08pm
well, the simplest way is to use directx to do the job.. microsoft paid the
licence for it :))

Regards,
MilesTeg

"grimble" <grimble2000NOSPAM at btinternet.com> a écrit dans le message de
news: 3d309fd5$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I don't think "refused" is really the word here - implementing GIF support
> in commercial products involves license fees which makes it a corporate
> decision of AWC as to whether they see sufficient benefit in it to pay
them.
> Apart from the principle of paying for the "right" to use a graphics
format
> (which is outrageous in itself) I don't the licence fees come that cheap
for
> a product that until recently was supported by those that use it by way of
> $20 a year fee.
>
> Maybe now there's a more realisitic pricetag on the product, they would
> consider it.
>
> Grims

[View Quote]

joeman

Jul 14, 2002, 2:11am
The AW browser in itself isn't a commercial product. Well, it can be argued
in both ways. Its not a commercial product in the way that you don't need
to pay to use it. It can be argued that it *is* a commercial product
because its sole intent is getting AWC more cash, which doesn't seem to be
working right now ;). I'm sure there's some loopholes out there where
Roland could have or grimm can put a free GIF library into the Activeworlds
browser. As for PNG support, it would be nice, but GIF would be better, or
higher on the list of image format additions. Right now AW seems to be
stagnant, so we shall see what they add when they, start working again. :P

-Joe

[View Quote]

ncc 72897

Jul 14, 2002, 10:55am
why would GIF be better? GIF = 256 colors
PNG = 16M+ color
both can have 1 transparent color which is the whole point of adding them

[View Quote]

joeman

Jul 14, 2002, 1:28pm
GIF is more widespread, you can find much more in GIF format than in PNG :).

-Joe

[View Quote]

ncc 72897

Jul 14, 2002, 7:35pm
thats true, but see the possibilities of PNG compared to GIF, and u can
always convert those GIFs into PNG format

I'm pretty sure png can't be animated. Unless I missed something.

milesteg

Jul 14, 2002, 8:17pm
well you re right...
but jpg can t be animated either... and it doesn t seem to be a problem in
aw ;)))

i just wanted to point out that it is up to aw browser to handle
animation.... be able to load a gif doesn t implicitly mean that aw will
render it like an animation...
so if people want gif support . they should ask a full gif support with
animation and transparency and that is maybe just more than aw wants to do
for now.

my main concern about png is its ability to display a full colored picture
without any data loss :
gif doesn't support a full colored like 16bits depth or more.
jpg doesn t support no data loss.

Regards,
MilesTeg

news: 3d31f1fc$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...