Bump Events (Wishlist)

Bump Events // Wishlist

1  |

lord fett

Jul 2, 2002, 3:50am
I don't know how hard this would be or if it would create lag etc, but this
would be useful for game bots. Instead of having to click, people could just
walk over objects and have the bot respond. Example: walking over ammo
crates This would be neat and would simulate actual games.

-Lord Fett

the derek

Jul 2, 2002, 3:52am
well you could have it bring you to a php script... you probably could
somehow make it edit your stats... lol i dont think it would be too
dependable though ;)
[View Quote]

dion

Jul 2, 2002, 4:28am
if you make the bot constantly check the distance between the person and the
object, you can figure out when they've touched it. But that's really laggy
way of doing things :-P

[View Quote]

lord fett

Jul 2, 2002, 5:00am
yeah, having the bot always checking to see if the peron's coords equals
that of an object's coords makes the bot lag heh there has got to be an
easier way and awcom can add that in one of the next versions :)

"dion" <Dion at digevo.net> wrote in
news:3d21480c$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> if you make the bot constantly check the distance between the person
> and the object, you can figure out when they've touched it. But that's
> really laggy way of doing things :-P

Depends on the algo you use... How do you think collision detection works?
:-))

KAH

grimble

Jul 2, 2002, 12:41pm
Checking proximity in the code is a less "laggy" solution than having to
handle all the events of walking on floors for all avatars (my opinion). You
can always speed up the code by adding some creative indexing based on the
objects location ... but handling the additional "bump" events (most of
which will be irrelevent and ignored) can't be tuned at all.

Grims

[View Quote]

milesteg

Jul 2, 2002, 1:40pm
just a thought :
Bump event could be raised only for objects having a bump action .. that
would reduce the number of event raised and would make our bot simpler to
program :)

Regards,
MilesTeg

"grimble" <grimble2000NOSPAM at btinternet.com> a écrit dans le message de
news: 3d21bb92 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Checking proximity in the code is a less "laggy" solution than having to
> handle all the events of walking on floors for all avatars (my opinion).
You
> can always speed up the code by adding some creative indexing based on the
> objects location ... but handling the additional "bump" events (most of
> which will be irrelevent and ignored) can't be tuned at all.
>
> Grims

[View Quote]

billybob

Jul 2, 2002, 4:12pm
Heh, hey fett, I suppose this is more pointed to the rest of AW. This CAN be
done, in case you didn't know, and in fact I've already done it with av
collision. There are two methods to doing it. Either you do the AW method,
or the box method. The AW method is this: Your AW Browser is the one that
handles the bump action, and it can handle this because it uses a regular
collision detection engine. So for it it isn't hard. You can do the same
thng by loging on, querying, downloading all the objects in the query and
store them in a cache, then use this data to put the entire world into your
own 3d collision engine......yep the LONG way.

The second method is a simple box collision: I use a varation of this method
for AVs. What you do is some how give the size of a "bounding box" of every
object(and/or AV) in the world. To detect collision you can do simple 3d
wire-frame box collision, you will have to research this if you don't know
it. You then check collision everytime you get an avatar change event. :) If
any one understood that it is VERY useful information, trust me. Hey maybe
once I finish the bot that uses this method I can release a library? What do
you think?

billybob

Jul 2, 2002, 4:19pm
BTW, since bump is handled by YOUR browser and not the server(as I believe
it is) then I think you are stuck with writing your own way to detect the
stuff. I suppose AW could put forth the time to write the "AW Method" into a
seperate library for us, but I would rather see them come out with more
versions of AW.

joeman

Jul 2, 2002, 4:48pm
If it was handled by the server there would be lots more lag. Server
handling collision detection, the server would melt and spread 40 megatons
of nuclear waste all around in a big cloud of smoke with burning elves and
Santa and evil Santa...

-Joe

[View Quote]

billybob

Jul 2, 2002, 6:11pm
Yea, something like that. It would have to download EVERY Object Path...not
the best thing for a server, heh.

Let the browser handler it.. Send events to server when the browser does it
with a object with bump > wire-frame box collision, you will have to