Whois Feature (Wishlist)

Whois Feature // Wishlist

1  |

brock

May 28, 2002, 9:50pm
Well i was browsing around a domain registar site the other day, i noticed
you can whois domains to see who owns them, what is there nameserver and
what not, and i thought to myself, hey this would be cool in ActiveWorlds!
A feature on the website or built into the brower to whois worlds! To find
out who owns them, what is their size, and how many users it can hold, also
if it allows tourists or not. :)

--
Brock - Admin at iceflare.net
CEO/Administrator, IceFlare Network LCC
http://www.iceflare.net
AW - #308723
[Active Worlds Build: 402]
[Motherboard: DFI Socket 462(A)]
[Processor: AMD Thunderbird 1.2GHZ]
[RAM: PC133 - SDRAM 768MB]
[Video Board: nVidia Riva TNT2]
[Video Drivers: Up To Date]
[Video RAM: 32MB SDRAM]

the joker ss

May 28, 2002, 9:56pm
a bot cant find out , why not implement into the browser ? allthoug its
allready send to the browser ...

"brock" <Brock at iceflare.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3cf417c5$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Well i was browsing around a domain registar site the other day, i noticed
> you can whois domains to see who owns them, what is there nameserver and
> what not, and i thought to myself, hey this would be cool in
ActiveWorlds!
> A feature on the website or built into the brower to whois worlds! To find
> out who owns them, what is their size, and how many users it can hold,
also
> if it allows tourists or not. :)
>
> --
> Brock - Admin at iceflare.net
> CEO/Administrator, IceFlare Network LCC
> http://www.iceflare.net
> AW - #308723
> [Active Worlds Build: 402]
> [Motherboard: DFI Socket 462(A)]
> [Processor: AMD Thunderbird 1.2GHZ]
> [RAM: PC133 - SDRAM 768MB]
> [Video Board: nVidia Riva TNT2]
> [Video Drivers: Up To Date]
> [Video RAM: 32MB SDRAM]

U already can, using a bot or a lil Browser crack (although im not sure
enabling the uni feature works anymore)

"brock" <Brock at iceflare.net> wrote in
news:3cf417c5$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Well i was browsing around a domain registar site the other day, i
> noticed you can whois domains to see who owns them, what is there
> nameserver and what not, and i thought to myself, hey this would be
> cool in ActiveWorlds! A feature on the website or built into the
> brower to whois worlds! To find out who owns them, what is their size,
> and how many users it can hold, also if it allows tourists or not. :)

I'm not too keen about WhoIs, it's not nice knowing that people can get
your name, street address, phone number, etc just by WhoIsing your domain,
so why add this privacy destroying feature to AW?

I think he meant just be able to find out who is world CT if u need to
contact them.. lol

joeman

May 29, 2002, 5:22pm
Cool it with the cracking talk. Go "hack" a paper bag and save the
bandwidth in these newsgroups.

-Joe

Most people dont know what it means anyway, its a simple duplication of a
resource string.. and actually it was to say that the world lookup is
already enabled :P

brock

May 29, 2002, 7:46pm
yeah that's exactally what i meant, not getting where they live and what
not, just local activeworlds info lol

Brock - Admin at iceflare.net
CEO/Administrator, IceFlare Network LCC
http://www.iceflare.net
AW - #308723
[Active Worlds Build: 402]
AMDTBIRD1.2GHZ-768MBSDRAM
RIVATNT2-UPTODATE-32MBSDRAM

[View Quote]

joeman

May 29, 2002, 9:17pm
Duh. Its a script kiddy hack. I have seen the "cracked" version, world
lookup doesn't seem to function, and citizen lookup is limited. A simple
bot can do more than the crack. Please, stop passing yourself off as a
ubahh4xX0r and trying to get popular with all the kids. You really don't
know what your talking about.

-Joe

[View Quote]

pc hamster

May 30, 2002, 12:22am
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] Speaking as a 3DHP Owner, I have to agree with KAH on this one as I'm not
too keen on this WhoIs festure either.

However though, in the event of major abuse or harrassment problems, it
*would* be nice to have at the server side 'cause then this way the server
can dig into the world or 3DHP log files to view previous ejections and give
the owner the OPTION to have his ISP automatically contacted. But even
then, this should ONLY be used ONLY in the event of multiple ejections.

However, the drawback to this concept is that it's also a target for misuse
and/or abuse BY THE OWNER and I'm sure the LAST thing an ISP wants to do is
terminate someone's account simply because the world or 3DHP Owner doesn't
like their client due to personal reasons. The ISPs have better things to
do asnd worry about than some petty feud betweeen two people.

If this isn't a contradictory post, I dunno what is. :-) *LOL!*

Anyhow...Just my $.02 worth..... Cheers for now everyone :-)

Patrick Cook
Owner - Pub 102X
Mayor - City of Hamsterville
pchamster at msn.com
Denver, Colorado

"pc hamster" <pchamster at email.msn.com> wrote in
news:3cf58cdf$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Hi everyone:

> Speaking as a 3DHP Owner, I have to agree with KAH on this one as I'm
> not too keen on this WhoIs festure either.
>
> However though, in the event of major abuse or harrassment problems,
> it *would* be nice to have at the server side 'cause then this way the
> server can dig into the world or 3DHP log files to view previous
> ejections and give the owner the OPTION to have his ISP automatically
> contacted. But even then, this should ONLY be used ONLY in the event
> of multiple ejections.
>
> However, the drawback to this concept is that it's also a target for
> misuse and/or abuse BY THE OWNER and I'm sure the LAST thing an ISP
> wants to do is terminate someone's account simply because the world or
> 3DHP Owner doesn't like their client due to personal reasons. The
> ISPs have better things to do asnd worry about than some petty feud
> betweeen two people.
>
> If this isn't a contradictory post, I dunno what is. :-) *LOL!*
>
> Anyhow...Just my $.02 worth..... Cheers for now everyone :-)
>
> Patrick Cook

Well, this isn't an automatic feature, but you can take care of contacing
the ISP yourself by noting down the IP of the offender (doesn't matter if
the offender has got a dynamic IP either, but be sure to take down the
time too) and running an ARIN whois on it (http://www.arin.net/whois/),
it will give you info about the ISP so you can contact it yourself :-))

KAH
PS. I guess whois can be usefull in SOME cases ;-))

"strike rapier" <strike at rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in news:3cf523a2
at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I think he meant just be able to find out who is world CT if u need to
> contact them.. lol

The CT will probably let you know anyway, if the CT wants to... I think
that this should be left to CTs, it usually won't be hard to figure out
anyway :-))

KAH

brock

May 30, 2002, 3:23pm
Well maybe a option on the world like "Show Information on World WhoIs?"
as a checkbox =\

Brock - Admin at iceflare.net
CEO/Administrator, IceFlare Network LCC
http://www.iceflare.net
AW - #308723
[Active Worlds Build: 402]
AMDTBIRD1.2GHZ-768MBSDRAM
RIVATNT2-UPTODATE-32MBSDRAM

Bot cant do more than it, oh, and 1 of ur friends told me how to do the hack
in the first place, lol.

btw, what is ubahh4xX0r in a language i can understand? (English if u can)

-Cit lookup works with all features you can get
- World lookup dont work at all

Anyway, that was way back in 3.1, lets hope it can be put in for 3.3

silenced

May 30, 2002, 5:18pm
It's Uberhacker.. somewhat in 1337 (the language of the script kiddies). I
think the whole meaning of the point he was trying to convey was that you
are, in fact, a script kiddie with all this talk. No offense but, if you
have nothing better to do than to crack things, that's what you are.

Cit lookup would probably only get you bot limit, citnumber, e-mail address,
and homepage.

--Bowen--

Have $3... want a website?
http://www.smartpenguin.com/affiliate.php?id=12

Actaully it was Citnum, Citname and webpage, but thats all we would need, it
would save having to log a bot in, thats all, but considering its there why
not let us use it?

nooo, what I mean is that its possable, with a simple modification, but if
it is possable why dont they let us have it?

All the cracking talk, its just because at the moment, youd have to edit the
browser to do something that should (and could) be there already.

joeman

May 30, 2002, 7:01pm
Cant, guess why. Hint: AW 3.2+ is encrypted. End of story.

-Joe

You write it Über I think (I don't mean Überhacker, but the word Über) ;-))

KAH

silenced

May 31, 2002, 5:19pm
Yes but since we all don't have cool keyboards and it takes too much time to
get the char from the list, it's much easier for us to write Uber :P