My wish.. (Wishlist)

My wish.. // Wishlist

1  |

silenced

May 9, 2002, 5:23pm
That in 3.3 (even though it's still beta) that the user who owns the world
has control over if it's displayed on the world list.

Possibly offensive places should be deteremined by the administrators. (ie
Gor worlds are not suitable to anyone not an adult and thus should not be
displayed)

--Bowen--

Have $3... want a website?
http://www.smartpenguin.com/affiliate.php?id=12

carlbanks

May 9, 2002, 6:00pm
Nice!

[View Quote]

lysimachus

May 9, 2002, 6:23pm
I don't know if world owners will be able to, but I know now that there
are some worlds that are hidden from everyone else. But the name still shows
up on the contact list if the person doesn't have that privacey feature
enabled.

[View Quote]

silenced

May 9, 2002, 6:35pm
Supposedly according to the help pages it's only available to the
administrators. But really, this seems like another way that the head
honchos of AW will screw people over that they don't like. Just remove
their world from the list.

Or they'll put a feature in that you have to pay extra just to have your
world listed. (seems the most logical of what could happen)

--Bowen--

Have $3... want a website?
http://www.smartpenguin.com/affiliate.php?id=12

[View Quote]

dion

May 9, 2002, 6:56pm
then dont piss off AWCom ;-)

[View Quote]

anduin

May 9, 2002, 11:18pm
Hi silenced,

> Possibly offensive places should be deteremined by the administrators. (ie
> Gor worlds are not suitable to anyone not an adult and thus should not be
> displayed)

I don't agree, Gor worlds are not offensive, though maybe you find them to
be. There is already a feature in the world options to set world ratings.
The AW client is by default set to enable only entry to a maximum of R rated
worlds, if Gor worlds were to set their ratings to 'X' this would stop young
kids from entering them. Of course, if these kids wish to change the maximum
rating to X in their options, they do so at their own risk.

I do not agree to making Gor worlds INVISIBLE.

Maybe a new feature which makes worlds EXCEEDING your maximum rating
invisible to you in the list would be an 'ok' feature. Meaning, if a user
sets their maximum rating to 'R they will only see Rated worlds and lower in
their listing.

This could be implemented to parental control, a parent could set up the
maximum rating a child can enter and even add a PASSWORD to that option.

My world however is rated R, as the default entry level is set to 'R' and my
website has a link to the world using the 3d Homepage feature. So when
someone clicks on my link on the website, they automatically load the AW
Client software (installs it if it's not available on their PC) and
teleports them to my world automatically. If I set it to X, they will not
automatically enter my world, instead the immigration officer will come up
with a message and send them to AWGate I believe.

I do however have an AGE CHECK bot at GZ which asks for age, if the answer
is under 18, the bot politely ejects them with a message (if they don't
answer, the bot warns them a few times, and then ejects them). If they
return, they do so at their knowledge that the world is not suitable to
them. If they lie about their age, it is their problem and not mine, the
world message clearly states that it is an 18+ world only and the world is
rated R. If a user does not wish to enter such worlds, they simply do not.

Again, a few new features that relates to this subject would be:

o Parental Lock with optional password (For the maximum world rating a user
can enter)
o Worlds that exceed the users world rating settings are invisible to them.

[View Quote]

lysimachus

May 10, 2002, 12:29am
Actually, that isn't a bad idea if they get desperate. Charge people a
yearly fee to have their world listed on the world list. It would greatly
cut down on the clutter of the world list and take up less bandwidth by
check world statuses (stati? hehe like octipus/octipi) and sending the info
to people. With the new feature of searching for worlds, it wouldn't be like
the owner is completely screwed. An owner can set keywords of "building,"
"fun," "chatting," "blah" and if someone searches for that, their world
would pop up under the search thingymobopper. Smart thinking Silenced. :)

[View Quote]

carlbanks

May 10, 2002, 12:48am
Well most people can only afford Worlds I would surely be upset if AWCom
charged to have worlds viewed.

[View Quote]

pc hamster

May 10, 2002, 6:05am
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] Shhhhhhh - Don't give 'em any bright ideas Bowen. It'd be just our luck
that they'd do it TO EVERYONE!!!

Just my $.02 worth....Cheers for now everyone...:-)

Patrick Cook
Mayor - City of Hamsterville
pchamster at msn.com
Denver, Colorado

pc hamster

May 10, 2002, 6:10am
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] However though, if a world simply isn't online (as has been the case with
Broadway World lately), it simply can't be listed in ANY version of the
browser (unless you're STILL on a BOATANCHOR version of the software :-)
*LOL!*).

Just my $.02 worth....Cheers for now everyone :-)

Patrick

pc hamster

May 10, 2002, 6:18am
Hi everyone:

BRAVO Anduin!!!! I agree with you 1000000%. :-)

Patrick

P.S.: I've never found anything offensive in the Gor Worlds either and I
believe there IS an Age Check bot of some sort in one of them (can't
remember which one though) which DOES ask you your age. I dunno if it
actually ejects you (I don't think it does).

[View Quote]

silenced

May 10, 2002, 9:50am
Well despite what you've said, the gor worlds can be found offensive. Thus
regulatory action needs to be taken to "hide" them from the general public.
Little kids often play around with settings and go world hopping and will
lie about their age, what you guys have to do is disable the ability for
them to know about the world names.

I'm not saying this to put the Gor's down, it's just that exposing minors to
some of the stuff that goes on in those worlds is illegal and can have AW
prosecuted, or worse, shut down.

--Bowen--

Have $3... want a website?
http://www.smartpenguin.com/affiliate.php?id=12

[View Quote]

dion

May 10, 2002, 10:06am
If a kid lies about his age, that's his decision. ActiveWorlds should not
have to add anything extra to prevent children from viewing these worlds.

[View Quote]

silenced

May 10, 2002, 5:00pm
Well, kids do that, you have to take that into consideration. Systems
aren't fool-proof, but unless you want a possible lawsuit on your hands (I'd
assume AW would sue Gor worlds if they got sued by parents), go for it. I'm
just saying possibly offensive worlds, and I was using the Gor worlds as an
example, should be hidden. Or if not hiding offensive worlds, at least hide
it if it's above your rating. We all know that won't work very well either.

--Bowen--

Have $3... want a website?
http://www.smartpenguin.com/affiliate.php?id=12

[View Quote]

zeo toxion

May 10, 2002, 5:00pm
What is this any difference from kids being able to click the "I am 18 years
of age or older" link on a porn site? Well first of all that site most
likely shows a lot more then Gor worlds do and is much easier to get into
because you don't see the website ejecting you if you don't answer them. Its
basically the parents job to monitor what the kid is doing but I somewhat
agree that putting passwords on parental lock would be good the only thing
is parents usually don't know what AW is or how to use it so when the kid
first runs it most likely they will just set it to X and set their own
password and not tell parents about it.

So hiding these worlds would overprotect them and keep out anyone who is old
enough to see them and wants to at the same time. Theres really nothing we
can do about it and it's the sad truth.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
A message from Zeo Toxion

[View Quote]

silenced

May 10, 2002, 5:05pm
Ugh, we're comparing something that doesn't have a way to hide it yet.
Besides the obvious nanny systems. The point is, we can do it here, we're
not concearned with pr0n sites. If they're showing anything without the
censoring bubbles they're breaking the law, you cannot show pornographic
material on your website unless you have a proper identification system to
get into it (not exactly sure if that's the right wording for it). You can
answer the Gors all fine and dandy and lie to them, maybe AW should set up
some sort of CC # id pass for it?

Parents can't watch you all day. Do yours? I'd assume they don't because
they trust you. Well, most people who want to participate already know
about it. I said most not all, so don't hold that against me.

But we do need some kind of protection that people can set. Maybe an intro
gor world that isn't locked off, that introduces people? I don't know, the
simplest answer is just to hide them. It's hard to come up with a system
that's foolproof.

--Bowen--

Have $3... want a website?
http://www.smartpenguin.com/affiliate.php?id=12

[View Quote]

anduin

May 10, 2002, 10:14pm
Sorry, but hiding our worlds would stop us getting new visitors, we pay
money for our worlds and have every right to what you pay for also. There
are PORN websites all over the internet, millions of them, that a kid can be
browsing innocently and the page POPS-UP with a man and woman having
intercourse right in front of his/her face.

It is up to us, the owners of our Gor worlds, to make sure we keep the kids
out of our own worlds, when someone says an age, I take care at times to ask
around about such a person, see if they have been ejected from any other
worlds, if so they are put on bann. We have had many cases where some say
they are 27 but are truly 15.

Hiding our worlds is not the way to go, it's a bad business step. But having
the features I mentioned in my previous reply would help a whole lot. I'm
sure no one will complain about such features. Plus it would not only hide
Gor worlds, but all of those which exceed a users preference.

[View Quote]

anduin

May 10, 2002, 10:23pm
Hi,

> But we do need some kind of protection that people can set. Maybe an
intro
> gor world that isn't locked off, that introduces people? I don't know,
the
> simplest answer is just to hide them. It's hard to come up with a system
> that's foolproof.

Ok, that just gave me an idea....
There is a new feature for AW 3.3 where you can target a URL to the main 3d
Window. Now, if we were to choose to have an introduction to our worlds,
with warnings and such, there is nothing the childs parents could do, they
were faced with documentation and PLENTY of warnings. They clicked a button
to go ahead, stating they agree, the url closes and they are in the Gor
world, where again the welcome message states the age restrictions and they
are even possibly faced with the age checker bot.

Nothing else can be done, hiding the worlds just like that is not good for
business, we won't even get new visitors from within AW without
"ADVERTISING" all over AW. It would not be fair on us to have to go hidden.

If the child chooses to set his/her rating up, it is with his/her own
knowledge.

[View Quote]

silenced

May 10, 2002, 11:07pm
Well, it wasn't my goal to target the goals it kinda happened by accident.
I like this idea a lot, I think it should be implemented.

I also think that a new *if your rating is lower then it won't get shown*
feature should be implemented with that hide ability. I doubt it'll be
added since roland and the bunch don't read this group, only Flagg does (So
I assume from the posting I've seen).

Sorry if I offended anyone with my example of the Gor worlds, excluding the
people I mean to offend. They know who they are ;).

But my main focus was that the hide feature should be chosen by the world
owners and not the administrator, unless they get an extreme amount of
complaints.

--Bowen--

Have $3... want a website?
http://www.smartpenguin.com/affiliate.php?id=12

[View Quote]

silenced

May 10, 2002, 11:08pm
> Well, it wasn't my goal to target the goals it kinda happened by accident.

Sorry goals = gors LoL.. my bad

Dont you think with AWC now recording out computer hardware they know enough
about us already?

The whole sub-point of the internet is you can be discressional and not have
a fixed identity... granted the gor worlds (and anything rated R / X + etc)
should be shilded as set by the worlds list. Just untill we can find
something better, maybe if there is a limitation on it that works with the
things like child protection software it would also be usefull, then then
again, anyone can change the INI anyway....

How about a PW to allow users to change the rating some parents can set?
Granted it wont be suitable for people like myself to need to acess worlds
with whatever rating depentant on what im doing. But it would help :)

- Mark

zeo toxion

May 12, 2002, 2:16pm
If your talking about the ejection thing then aw doesnt record it and look
at it and stuff...the world server uses it for ejections. What would they do
with it anyway?

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
A message from Zeo Toxion

"zeo toxion" <zeo at activeworlds.com> wrote in
news:3cde9546$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> If your talking about the ejection thing then aw doesnt record it and
> look at it and stuff...the world server uses it for ejections. What
> would they do with it anyway?

The browser gets info about your hardware to do the machine-specific
encryption of your PW in aworld.ini (from 3.2 off).

KAH

agent1

May 13, 2002, 7:20pm
In 3.3 they also create a hardware-based hash to use for ejecting specific
machines regardless of the citizen number.

count dracula

May 14, 2002, 1:45pm
Well my friend,anything can be found offensive,,you just have to ask the
right people.

Drac
silenced <nospam at privacy.com> kirjoitti
viestissä:3cdbb3eb$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Well despite what you've said, the gor worlds can be found offensive.
Thus
> regulatory action needs to be taken to "hide" them from the general
public.
> Little kids often play around with settings and go world hopping and will
> lie about their age, what you guys have to do is disable the ability for
> them to know about the world names.
>
> I'm not saying this to put the Gor's down, it's just that exposing minors
> some of the stuff that goes on in those worlds is illegal and can have AW
> prosecuted, or worse, shut down.
>
> --Bowen--
>
> Have $3... want a website?
> http://www.smartpenguin.com/affiliate.php?id=12

Now if that is the same in all worlds (no doubt it is) u get urself a
network of bots and whalla, you can track a individual computer anywhere.

[View Quote]

agent1

May 18, 2002, 12:25pm
I'm pretty sure that the SDK can't access a user's hash directly.

the derek

May 25, 2002, 5:40pm
yeah, but what worries me is that aw will CHARGE YOU to ahve your world
displayed... if they do this i will really try to get everyone i know (and
some others) to leave aw... dude ill pay them to leave if aw does that lol
[View Quote]

anduin

May 25, 2002, 11:12pm
In a galaxy far far away, known as wishlist, an identify claiming to
be known as "the derek" <imthederek at yahoo.com> scribed the following:
>yeah, but what worries me is that aw will CHARGE YOU to ahve your world
>displayed... if they do this i will really try to get everyone i know (and
>some others) to leave aw... dude ill pay them to leave if aw does that lol

Although this thread is already quite old and you were a little late
at replying, I will reply to this...

So far they are only using the hide feature for AWCom worlds that are
used for 'projects' and such. EG, if you've taken notice that all of
those Flagg002 - Flagg008 etc worlds have been placed on hidden, that
is what they are doing.

I doubt they will charge to have a world un-hidden.
Roland is also using hidden worlds for the beta testing on terrain and
such.

,,,,,
(o o)
| Anduin (317281) |
| o The Gorean Scribe |
| o http://www.anduin-lothario.com |
| o It wasn't me, it was the one I'm in! |