Mirror.... (Wishlist)

Mirror.... // Wishlist

1  |

ombre

Mar 7, 2002, 6:28pm
I really would like to have a new feature : mirror's effect ! :-)

Those effects are part of several video games now and give so much "reality"
!
It's really difficult to create textures giving such effects.. the result is
not satisfaying at all (IMHO)

So..
It would be nice to have something like a reflectance attribute that could
be set on faces of objects.. value=0 would mean "no effect" (just like
now..) .. value=1 would create true mirror and a value in between would mean
some mixed effect between mirror and texture of this object....
Imagine a marble or a water ground using this effect !

.... this is my wish ;-)

Ombre
304298
LostEden and Mutation co-CT

(Please excuse my bad way to speak english... )

carlbanks

Mar 7, 2002, 7:33pm
I had just downloaded worlds Com trial software a few days ago and I really
think it's a bunch of mixed parts smacked togethor cause it wasn't has great
and cool has aw. But Worlds Com has some goood thinks but still won't leave
aw. They got actual working mirrors and a working clock which showed date
and time but it might've been ran by a bot. So worlds did improve aw alot
but when COF bought AW they made aw the way it is today and today it's cool.
But aw needs to make mirror effect. So we can actually look at ourselves.

[View Quote]

dotar sojat

Mar 8, 2002, 3:14pm
Worlds.com I checked that out. Whatta joke. They are laggy as heck, have the
worst avatars, and lame looking worlds. HOWEVER, they have two things AW
needs to get. Mirrors, and a working "on the fly" avatar generator.

[View Quote]

carlbanks

Mar 8, 2002, 6:38pm
Dotar you translated it for peeps who didn't understand my post. Thanks for
translating.

[View Quote]

carlbanks

Mar 8, 2002, 6:46pm
Hmmm...... Interesting. Read this post I found earlier in NG around June.

[View Quote]

dotar sojat

Mar 8, 2002, 9:34pm
It's still nto a mirror enough for someone to view their own avatar or
something.

[View Quote]

dion

Mar 8, 2002, 9:38pm
Yeh, it only simulates reflection, it doesn't truly create it.

Reflection is a fairly new thing to 3dfx cards and it's not very easy to
create without lag. I don't think this will ever be made. Mostly because
those polygons that are rendered all have to be rendered again in the
mirror. the angle the mirror is facing and everything around it facing is
all a factor. It's probably too much lag for anything like that to come into
AW anytime in the near future.

[View Quote]

dotar sojat

Mar 8, 2002, 9:57pm
Well we can always hope for a leap forward.

[View Quote]

dion

Mar 8, 2002, 10:03pm
Yeh, I can see it like 5yrs from now when the average computer is a lot
faster and graphics a lot sharper than they are now. Infact, the average
computer doesn't have a 3dfx video card now. Too many people using software
rendering *shakes head in disbelief*
[View Quote]

milesteg

Mar 8, 2002, 10:32pm
I have to disagree with you.
when aw made its 3.0 version it was a 3D hardware only version.
so it was clear AW wanted to add new features only available for 3d graphic
card owner.
with the 3.2 version , a software compatible version is available but it is
just a way to remove the need of the old 2.2 version... .. but if you really
use the new features of theses new versions.. only hardware accelerated comp
can handle it.. the others are stuck with a very bad frame rate...look at
the futur 3.3 version and its skinned avatars .. that s certainly not aimed
to a comp using a software compatible version...
so if you agree with me, you can t say mirroring effect is so difficult to
get.. games like Hitman have it.. i m pretty sure it is easy to handle
(maybe with a restriction like a 2-3 cells range ).

by the way i think you re talking about 3D cards and not only 3dfx which is
one of the first 3d card and certainly not the most current nowadays ;)

regards,
MilesTeg

"dion" <GovDion at subdimension.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
3c895155$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Yeh, I can see it like 5yrs from now when the average computer is a lot
> faster and graphics a lot sharper than they are now. Infact, the average
> computer doesn't have a 3dfx video card now. Too many people using
software
> rendering *shakes head in disbelief*
[View Quote]

dion

Mar 8, 2002, 10:40pm
yeh eh.. 3d cards, LOL :-P
I got a bad habbit!
[View Quote]

dotar sojat

Mar 8, 2002, 11:52pm
Oh heck, ever the old Duke Nukem had working mirrors. From what I understand
it it the RWX that makes it difficult. Roland? Any thoughts?