Z and X axis rotation buttons in the object properties window (Wishlist)

Z and X axis rotation buttons in the object properties window // Wishlist

1  |

data21

Dec 1, 2001, 1:35am
Z and X axis rotation buttons in the object properties window.

There already is XZ rotation.. if you mean XY and ZY rotation yes that's in
the works for non-registry worlds. Supposedly. :)

--Bowen--

data21

Dec 1, 2001, 1:52am
what ever loll. we need a way to rotate the object forward and backward.
just like we can left and right :-)

Yeah I know what you mean :) it'd make for some cool building designs
without having to use rotate commands.

--Bowen--

foxmccloud

Dec 1, 2001, 11:25am
Well, forward and backward doesn't mean much in 3D :) But you were right to
call them Z axis and X axis rotations, Bowen probably misread "XZ" rotations
which would mean the horizontal plane.

The 3 rotations are also often called yaw (what we have, Y axis), pitch and
roll (the other 2, I think pitch would be x axis and roll z axis, but that
depends very much on how the object was made)

But I'm not sure Roland will use this representation (called Euler angles
representation) to rotate the objects. Although it's the most obvious for
humans, the Euler angles representation is the least obvious from a
programming point of view, and is subject to Gimble's lock...
So, either he just let it that way with Gimble's lock annoying you when you
try to rotate your objects in the correct position, or he used something
else (or he could have used computations that defeat Gimble's lock but
that's quite hard I think).

Fox Mc Cloud

"data21" <dbmiller at kiski.net> a écrit dans le message news:
3c085404 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> what ever loll. we need a way to rotate the object forward and backward.
> just like we can left and right :-)

LoL I tried to keep it simple.. XZ means sided ways rotation. XY means up
and down to the left and right.. ZY is up and down from front and back.. :)
Didn't want to confuse him too much.

--Bown--

Y axis rotation = rotation around the Y axis (implemented)
X axis rotation = rotation around the X axis (coming in 3.3)
Z axis rotation = rotation around the Z axis (coming in 3.3)

That's how I understand what Data21 said, and he expressed
it correct.

What you describe is not the rotation AROUND an axis but
the rotation OF an axis, a strange way to put it, and not
only confusing for Data21.

[View Quote] --
"_

/\
\ /
__/ /_

metawraith

Dec 1, 2001, 5:28pm
untill then we can make do with within the action rotate command
and specify a matched rotation speed and duration to get the same effect
the formula for th matched pair is on the AW help page

or if you have FTP rights, make custom versions of the object
by using combinations of rotate and translate in rwx,
especially easy if you make the whole of the original object a protoype
and do something like ......

modelbegin
protobegin obj
# code for original obj in here
protoend
clumpbegin
translate 0 half_obj_ht 0
rotate 1 0 0 90
protoinstance obj
clumpend
modelend

then you can easily adjust rotates to suit

--

[View Quote] That's how I understand what Data21 said, and he expressed
it correct.

What you describe is not the rotation AROUND an axis but
the rotation OF an axis, a strange way to put it, and not
only confusing for Data21.

[View Quote] --
"_

/\
\ /
__/ /_

These is close to the changes that fetch.php makes ;)

[View Quote] --
"_

/\
\ /
__/ /_

LoL I'm talking about a rotation in the angle from one to the other. It's a
perfectly logical way of saying it :)

--Bowen--

syko

Dec 3, 2001, 1:05am
you guys are all confusing me, but the thing is, you CAN do this now; put in
create rotate 0 0 0 (experiment with these numbers to make sure its going
the right way) time=.5 (you can mess with that too) and you can rotate stuff
any way you want to.

yes, and in 3.2 you'll be able to do it without the rotate command...

metawraith

Dec 3, 2001, 6:21pm
i believe that's what i said when i talked about a matched pair of rotation
speed and duration

---

syko

Dec 3, 2001, 8:06pm
this IS 3.2, are you speaking of 3.3?

[View Quote]

dotar sojat

Dec 4, 2001, 4:16am
Problem is the create rotates can create some pretty high lag at times.
Haveing the object rotateable on all three axis without the extra command
would be nice.

whoops, typo, yeah I meant 3.3

data21

Dec 6, 2001, 3:10pm
yea it would, im trying to make a clock and i dont have x and z rotate
ability in the object properties box, so im editing the object uploading,
looking at it in my world.
Then back to editing it then uploading it again and so on till its set
right, its vary time consumming and frustrating.
If we had z and x rotation in the properties box I could just rotate and be
done setting it.
I been messing with this clock object for about 3 days now LOL
I made it in under 5 min, all the rest of that time in the 3 days and still
gojng one more days is setting the thing.

[View Quote]

metawraith

Dec 6, 2001, 7:37pm
why waste time repeatedly uploading ?
why not use one of the RWX viewers available ?

heck even use mine, (posted in Andras's utilities NG)

data21

Dec 7, 2001, 10:47pm
because I cant add object action commands in a viewer
once in the world it needs rotate action commands to run right.
without them its stationary.
The rotate action command actuly rotates it to the time before it starts the
normal rotation.
I did finaly get it set right :-)
after you add the rotate commands it moves it to the VRT time then starts
the speed of the rotation.
Its how the clocks at the AWgate where made.
its one of them trial and error creations till you get it right.

[View Quote]

metawraith

Dec 8, 2001, 1:24am
well at least now you understand what i suggested in the first place
---