Snapshot (Wishlist)

Snapshot // Wishlist

1  |

wyzard360

Feb 26, 2001, 10:07pm
AW should have a feature that will make a very high quality rendering of the
screen to save as a jpg.

foxmccloud

Feb 26, 2001, 11:05pm
Well the video card is rendering the screen, not AW... so, there's not much to be done about it, except maybe using a higher
resolution... and if you want quality, png would be the format of choice rather than jpg...

By the way ! (not really related but it made me think about it)... i'd really like to see a program that would do something like
read all the objects in a world (or in a defined sector of a world) and read their geometry if you give it a local path to the rwx
files, then export this all to a big .3ds file or some other more widespread format...
That would be a little tricky to do because you have to read rwx and write 3ds files, but once you know how to do that it's really
easy...
So the point would be to take a big 3d "screenshot" of a world (maybe with the avatars included, why not?) and read that in a 3d
rendering program so you can render a beautiful picture of your world... it could even set the correct lights etc...
It sure would be long to render, but even if it took days i'd like to give it a try ;o)

Of course no one is going to actually do it... If I could read rwx and 3ds i'd try it... maybe the creator of Accutrans can do that
program? I really think it would be easy ;o) just long to perform...

Fox Mc Cloud

"wyzard360" <wyzard360 at hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3a9aefd3 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> AW should have a feature that will make a very high quality rendering of the
> screen to save as a jpg

wyzard360

Feb 27, 2001, 1:41am
Ok maybe I should make myself more clear, aw should render it the same way
the other 3d programs do, if aw could do that on its own you wouldn't need
to have it read in another 3d program.

[View Quote]

xero

Feb 27, 2001, 2:15am
Yah I really suppose rolands gona just change the way AW renders just so you
can take screen shots, lol..a little more logical thing would be a feature
to snap shot the 3d screen but your not going to get anything super high
quality. Also maybe this feature could take larger pictures like any size
you wanted it could resize the 3d scren take it then set it back but you
wouldn't be able to see it or something, that would be kinda cool, but I
doubt it'll be added, due to the fact taking pictures with print screen and
pasting it into PSP7 always worked perfectly for me.

[View Quote]

rolu

Feb 27, 2001, 8:28am
[View Quote] You can take a screenshot at 4x the size of the final picture, and then
resize it. If you use a proper resizing algorithm (NOT just pick every 2nd
pixel) you get something which looks a bit better than the original. You can
also try to use some image processing filters to see if you can make it look
even better.

rolu

wing

Feb 27, 2001, 8:57am
www.hyperionics.com
Download Hypersnap DX. That program rules all with screenshots. Can save in
any format you want, even though quality probably wouldn't be achieved with
a lame JPG.
[View Quote]

nova n@n.com

Feb 27, 2001, 1:46pm
yikes if you did something like that it would be cool as hell but omg the
verts would kill even mighty max.
[View Quote]

wing

Feb 27, 2001, 6:36pm
I'm sure a couple dozen GHz of raw, unadultered CPU time for an hour or so
would render a large world. But then you'd need a 128mb GeForce III (or
better, I wunner if they'll make a 256mb version) and max out the RAM on
your custom 8 CPU motherboard that you need to make this shit.
[View Quote]

rolu

Feb 27, 2001, 8:55pm
[View Quote] Depending on how you try to render: if you really want to have a good
looking picture, don't let the vid card do it, let the CPU do it. Let it
render a picture, completely
high-quality-antialiased-and-whatever-trick-you-can-think-of, and with a
viewing distance of several km. If you do so, you don't need a super vid
card, any common one will do for displaying the final picture (which is just
a bitmap anyway).

And I don't think you will need that much cpu power&&time either. After all,
if AW can do it many times a second for a small visibility and average
quality, you must be able to render a complete small world with high quality
in minutes. Unless you start raytracing it - but that would be an overkill
anyway.

rolu

wing

Feb 27, 2001, 11:06pm
I was thinking about rendering a full 3d image of Alphaworld, unlimited
visibility, all the fun stuff. In comes the madness amounts of horsepower.
If I remember properly, it takes 2-3 WEEKS to process the AW propdumps for
awmap.vevo.com.
[View Quote]

wyzard360

Feb 28, 2001, 1:13am
I know how to take sceenshots, I just mean something to make a high quality
rendering, something like truespace or max would produce.

[View Quote]

rolu

Feb 28, 2001, 8:47am
[View Quote] If you would render AWprime you would surely need a lot of cpu power. But
since it is so large, you wouldn't see very much if you had it all in view.
If you go down to near-ground level to make a photo of a town or so, you can
already omit quite a lot (everything out of your view, and probably also
everything more than a dozen km away since it would be too small to see
anyway).

rolu

foxmccloud

Mar 2, 2001, 6:23pm
Anyway, can anyone point me to a site where i could see the official specifications of the .rwx and .3ds format ? i'm sure it
exists... or anything that would be helpful in trying to put a bunch of .rwx files in a big .3ds.... maybe i'll give it a try...

Fox Mc Cloud

"rolu" <rolu.university at bigfoot.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3a9cd75e at server1.Activeworlds.com...

[View Quote]

andras

Mar 2, 2001, 6:49pm
I have no pointers to the 3ds format but Eep has a detailed description about the RWX format.
http://tnlc.com/rw/rwx.html

Andras

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------DAEBD856D91A9C5F90A7F5B9

AccuTrans on http://www.micromouse.ca can read RWX and write 3DS. It can
load models without clearing the previous model.

foxmccloud schrieb:
> =

> Anyway, can anyone point me to a site where i could see the official sp=
ecifications of the .rwx and .3ds format ? i'm sure it
> exists... or anything that would be helpful in trying to put a bunch of=
.rwx files in a big .3ds.... maybe i'll give it a try...
> =

> Fox Mc Cloud
> =

> "rolu" <rolu.university at bigfoot.com> a =E9crit dans le message news: 3a=
9cd75e at server1.Activeworlds.com...
ited
epower.
mps for
But
view.
you can
lso
ee
--------------DAEBD856D91A9C5F90A7F5B9

begin:vcard
n:Hatzenberger;Volker
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:oct31.de
adr:;;Bornheimer Strasse 15;Bonn;;53111;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------DAEBD856D91A9C5F90A7F5B9--

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------567F1E78DA0B4343D604ACFB

Many formats (not 3ds, sorry) are on
http://www.cica.indiana.edu/graphics/3D.objects.html

And here is another (ancient) list :
http://docs.cn.ua:8102/Graphics/ImageFormats/file-formats.3.html.
Actually a text file, there are no links, you have to cut/paste the
URIs. Several I tried were outdated.

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------567F1E78DA0B4343D604ACFB--