New fonts (Wishlist)

New fonts // Wishlist

1  |

sw comit

Jan 15, 2001, 5:45pm
I wish we could choose the font style on signs. For example:

create sign bcolor=_____ color=_____ font=_____

tony56

Jan 15, 2001, 7:50pm
Issue of Compatibility: You have a font that no one else has

--
- Tony56 (Tony M.) [chandler56 at mail.com]
"Give Me Liberty, or Give Me Pizza Pie!"

sw comit

Jan 15, 2001, 8:01pm
I'm not talking about all the 500 fonts, lol, just the basic system fonts,
like 8 or so.

sw comit

Jan 15, 2001, 8:02pm
Oh, and, AW could simply give you those fonts in the download anyway, their
small.

tony56

Jan 16, 2001, 2:09am
Hmm, and how would that be accomplished? You upload the font? (hints
sign of abuse)

--
- Tony56 (Tony M.) [chandler56 at mail.com]
"Give Me Liberty, or Give Me Pizza Pie!"

Jan 16, 2001, 2:40am
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------9F7A787897AA83F5A31DCAC0

I don't think it even had to be up/downloaded if it would be reduced to
some basic font families.
If all fonts would have to be uploaded HTML font select would not work
either.

tony56 schrieb:

> Hmm, and how would that be accomplished? You upload the font? (hints
> sign of abuse)
>
> --
> - Tony56 (Tony M.) [chandler56 at mail.com]
> "Give Me Liberty, or Give Me Pizza Pie!"
[View Quote] begin:vcard
n:Hatzenberger;Volker
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:oct31.de
adr:;;Bornheimer Strasse 15;Bonn;;53111;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------9F7A787897AA83F5A31DCAC0--

rolu

Jan 16, 2001, 6:20am
If it uses a font you don't have, just use another (standard) font. Just as
it goes with webpages.

Rolu

[View Quote]

rolu

Jan 16, 2001, 6:24am
Not all fonts are small, actually some can be very large. And they would
probably all end up in your fonts directory and become a big mess after a
while. If you want some weird text somewhere, why don't you just use a
picture? Then you are sure everyone can read it.

Rolu

[View Quote]

sw comit

Jan 17, 2001, 3:57am
Arg what are you guys talking about? AW would give you a SELECTION of
fonts, not every font on the web. And when it says "you need to update AW,
blah blah blah" you get the fonts AW lets you use and the font files would
detect your font directory and go there...

rolu

Jan 17, 2001, 6:06am
[View Quote] You didn't say that, you said you wanted to choose a font. About every other
program that allows you to do so lets you choose from all fonts you have
installed. A selection of fonts is nice, but there's always the issue of
people who want to use other fonts than included. Why would you include one
font and not the other?

> not every font on the web. And when it says "you need to update AW,
> blah blah blah" you get the fonts AW lets you use and the font files would
> detect your font directory and go there...

The font files will detect nothing. That's the installer's business.

sw comit

Jan 17, 2001, 9:50pm
And how is that any different from our selection of textures and objects
that AW has provided us? If they want use another font, big deal, it's
better than only getting one choice. Your argument is stupid, why wouldn't
you want this?

rolu

Jan 18, 2001, 9:29am
[View Quote] It's not. It's about the same.

> If they want use another font, big deal, it's
> better than only getting one choice. Your argument is stupid, why wouldn't
> you want this?

I never said I didn't want this. However, you failed to tell us what your
idea was. As you said in your original post:

<start quote>
I wish we could choose the font style on signs. For example:

create sign bcolor=_____ color=_____ font=_____
<end quote>

The standard with these kind of things is that you have to have the font
that's specified on your computer. It works that way with HTML, it works
that way with word processors. This is obvious, and if you have something
else in mind, you should have said so. However, later on you said (in a
reply to a message of Tony56)

<start quote>
I'm not talking about all the 500 fonts, lol, just the basic system fonts,
like 8 or so.
<end quote>

Here you were talking about *basic system fonts*, not about anything
downloadable on the fly, or included with the browser. (it's still possible
that even one or more of those basic fonts are missing, or look different on
different computers)

Later, you changed your idea:

<start quote>
AW would give you a SELECTION of
fonts, not every font on the web. And when it says "you need to update AW,
blah blah blah" you get the fonts AW lets you use and the font files would
detect your font directory and go there...
<end quote>

Now you want to include the fonts with the AWbrowser. This is not what you
originally said.

We were not arguing against different fonts, we were merely pointing out
possible problems with it. In response, you got annoyed and kept changing
your idea (while pretending it was what you originally meant, which was
clearly not the case). Some of the things we pointed out were very obvious,
yet you didn't seem to have thought about them. Therefore, I think you just
didn't really think about your idea at all. Then don't blame us for thinking
about it. If you have an idea, that's good, but you should think about it a
bit, find a few possible problems and solutions, and then post it (with a
clear description). If an idea turns out to be too difficult/stupid/whatever
(and I'm not saying this idea is), you'll prolly have found that out by then
yourself. If it is a good idea, it will be clear what you mean.

Rolu

sw comit

Jan 18, 2001, 9:56pm
Whatever, it's just a stupid little tid bit I'd like that I doubt would ever
happen, what I had in mind hasn't changed though, I should have just worded
it differently...

aasmund1

Jan 28, 2001, 2:00pm
I don't think it's a "stupid little tid bit" because it can lead to bigger improvements. Let's see, first we want different fonts, and perhaps a way to specify the font size. Then lets say we want to include pictures in the same sign, and before you know it we have asked roland to add html support to the signs. Which I think is a great idea, then we could really lose that awful webwindow too. After that we want other programs to run in similar "signs" and eventually will have a 3d os. Think big!

[View Quote] > Whatever, it's just a stupid little tid bit I'd like that I doubt would ever
> happen, what I had in mind hasn't changed though, I should have just worded
> it differently...

j b e l l

Jan 28, 2001, 6:02pm
...then it can be like in websites-if the other person doesn't have the font,
just show it in arial... or whatever the default font maybe...

--
J B E L L
http://platinum.awjbell.com

andras

sw comit

Jan 28, 2001, 11:29pm
hehe great idea indeed. But at AWs current developement rate, we won't be
seeing that in our lifetime, lol =P

aasmund1

Jan 29, 2001, 5:27pm
hehe please don't get all technical on me now!

[View Quote] [View Quote]