Mars Wishlist (Wishlist)

Mars Wishlist // Wishlist

1  |

doctor toc

Jan 5, 2001, 7:34pm
Since Alpha World is up and down like a whore's drawers recently, I'll
confine my wish/grip list to Mars.

1. Please! More objects! Alpha World has objects out the wazoo, while
Mars has been starved of new objects for - literally - years! It's
getting beyond a joke now. It's not like there's a shortage of suitable
objects already in place in other Sci/Fi based worlds. How much work
would it be to make a few of them available to Mars?

2. What's with the reduced Mars avatar list in 3.0? This is supposed to
be an improvement?

3. "Not a Citizen"/Unused space tidy up. The situation is getting stupid
here. There are vast - and I do mean vast - tracts of land that have
been taken up by idiots using landlocker that have remained untouched
since 1997. Many of these people are no longer citzens, and many of them
are simply never ever going to use that much space if they haven't
already in the three to four years that it's been since they claimed it.
What's more, many of these people marked their territory with the
landing pad tiles, making those areas an eyesore that ruins the
"atmosphere" of Mars for everyone else. Most of these people would
*never* notice if their land was freed up, and those that do should have
done something with it instead of leaving it alone. I've heard all the
arguments about "there's a lot of history" blah blah blah. Sorry,
doesn't cut it. If anyone from COF actually spent any time in Mars
they'd realise that a clean up is *desperately* needed.

Doctor TOC
--
The Reverend Doctor "The Other Chris" - Wu Name: Jive Talkin' Choirboy
ICQ # 4814586

sw comit

Jan 5, 2001, 11:06pm
Alphaworld has objects out the wazoo? If I had one (realistic) wish for AW,
it'd be that we had better objects. Alphaworld is nothing but walls,
floors, trees, and about 15 furniture pieces...

Mars has a bad object library though, even compared to alphaworld, that's
why I moved out =P

eep

Jan 6, 2001, 5:05am
No, what shows what can be done with the software is in creating efficient objects that are not too complex, download and render quickly, and don't suck frame rate. Just as much, if not much MUCH more, thought is put into creating and BUILDING with such objects. I always ask Lara why she continues to build in AlphaWorld so much and she gives the same (I think lame) excuse as you do. But I also know she doesn't have the will to create objects so she would rather create "new" objects by intersecting and z-buffering many simpler objects together, dragging down frame rate in the process. I'm not dissing her "art" but there does come a point where simply creating a new object achieves a MUCH better, cleaner effect, which is why I prefer making my own objects.

But I understand not everyone has access to a world--hell, I'm VERY lucky to have had access for 3 years. Still, I got bored of AlphaWorld after about 6 months, so I learned RWX and have only gotten bored when AW's stagnated (like from AW 2.2 to AW3). I like new things. New versions usually mean new things to play with. AlphaWorld has had some new object additions, but they're still too bland and boring for me to get excited about--especially when I can simply create something better from scratch.

[View Quote] > Altho' I recognize the 'poetic license' employed by your comment I feel it necessary to point out that the 'lack of options (objects)' in Alpha (Prime) is one of the reasons I enjoy building there...

> Anyone can create a masterpiece if they have access to (the ability to use) unlimited objects and textures... The challenge for those who build in Alpha (Prime - and the other public worlds) is to build something special using what we have.
>
> I don't believe you could name something that couldn't be built using the default objects in Alpha.
>
> Sure, some of the Private World Owners have created/built things that Alpha builders couldn't begin to match as far as complexity or realism BUT being able to build something outstanding from 'walls, floors, trees and about 15 furniture pieces' is the fun (for me anyway) of continuing to build in Alpha.
>
> Over the last month Alpha (Prime) has been down and this has afforded me time to actually check out some of the Private Worlds. I'm impressed by most. BUT not as impressed as what I'v seen in Alpha (Prime). I like visiting a location that required thot' to put together. I'm always happy when I can Log Onto Alpha (Prime) and compare myself with others who enjoy building with the default list of objects and textures.
>
> I'm sure there'l be those who disagree but building in Alpha (Prime) shows what one can truly do with the software. This is where 'I' live. These are the builders I compete with (steal ideas from :-) ) when I'm building at my locations...
>
> http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/ty1/tyrell3.htm
>
> (for those who care...)

[View Quote]

sw comit

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01C07827.76F37BE0

I really agree with you tyrell. But, they haven't thrown us a bone in =
months and months now (object wise, not textures). It's so hard to do =
small details. You end up using the tops of pointed objects, like fire =
hydrents and street lamps, and it gets old after about 3 years of =
building every day. The smallest object you can pretty much make it a =
button, and those are kinda big if you convert it to real life measure, =
about half a foot. AW has just given us bulk objects, nothing small. I =
look around my room and there's stuff all over the place: bottles, =
papers, CD cases, pencils, a scanner, speakers, clocks, books all over, =
a used toothpick (lol). Try doing just a few of those in AW and you =
probably end up using half your cell space.

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01C07827.76F37BE0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I really agree with you tyrell.&nbsp; =
But, they=20
haven't thrown us a bone in months and months now (object wise, not=20
textures).&nbsp; It's so hard to do small details.&nbsp; You end up =
using the=20
tops of pointed objects, like fire hydrents and street lamps, and it =
gets old=20
after about 3 years of building every day.&nbsp; The smallest object you =
can=20
pretty much make it&nbsp;a button, and those are kinda big if you =
convert it to=20
real life measure, about half a foot.&nbsp; AW has just given us bulk =
objects,=20
nothing small.&nbsp; I look around my room and there's stuff all over =
the place:=20
bottles, papers, CD cases, pencils, a scanner, speakers, clocks, books =
all over,=20
a used toothpick (lol).&nbsp; Try doing just a few of those in AW and =
you=20
probably end up using half your cell space.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01C07827.76F37BE0--

rolu

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C078E3.967F2C40

[View Quote] It would look cool, but you wouldn't want to do so because of cell space =
(as you mention), and also because of the framerate you would (not) get.

Rolu

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C078E3.967F2C40

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
<DIV>"sw comit" &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:swcomit at swcity.net">swcomit at swcity.net</A>&gt; wrote in =
message=20
<A=20
=
href=3D"news:3a58966f at server1.Activeworlds.com">news:3a58966f at server1.Act=
iveworlds.com</A>...</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I really agree with you tyrell.&nbsp; =
But, they=20
haven't thrown us a bone in months and months now (object wise, not=20
textures).&nbsp; It's so hard to do small details.&nbsp; You end up =
using the=20
tops of pointed objects, like fire hydrents and street lamps, and it =
gets old=20
after about 3 years of building every day.&nbsp; The smallest object =
you can=20
pretty much make it&nbsp;a button, and those are kinda big if you =
convert it=20
to real life measure, about half a foot.&nbsp; AW has just given us =
bulk=20
objects, nothing small.&nbsp; I look around my room and there's stuff =
all over=20
the place: bottles, papers, CD cases, pencils, a scanner, speakers, =
clocks,=20
books all over, a used toothpick (lol).&nbsp; Try doing just a few of =
those in=20
AW and you probably end up using half your cell space.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It would look cool, but you =
wouldn't want=20
to do so because of cell space (as you mention), and also because of the =

framerate you would (not) get.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>Rolu</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C078E3.967F2C40--

syntax

Jan 7, 2001, 7:29pm
1. Don't think that this problem is only in Mars. It is in all the
other "well known" public building worlds such as COFMeta, Atlantis and
Yellow. Yellow has the worst object library I have ever seen, which drives
me
away from that world whenever I feel like visiting it. Also, in COFmeta,
Cybernome
is trying really hard to get new objects and avatars in the world but I'm
not seeing any
cooperation from AWCom to carry out this request.. (what the hell is new?)
I can't say anything about Atlantis because I never go there. :-p
Anyways, don't feel bad because your not alone on this matter. I too want
Mars to
get more objects that match its atmosphere.

2. Would it take the much to maybe fix up a few of the avatars too? Some of
these
avatars look like they were made in 3 and a half minutes. :-\

3. Ahhhhhhhhhh I know! That is one thing about this world that constantly
reminds me
not to build there. (I'd only build here if I had to, like when AW is down)
Even if you wanted to build there, you can't because of all the
garbage around. It's just really annoying. This is the same with other
worlds, even in AW.
What could push a person to just go and make garbage (like sloppily cover
land) in the middle of nowhere
and then just leave it there for it to become someone else's problem.
Anyways, back to the point. Like Doctor TOC pointed out, this problem on
Mars has become critical. Almost to the
point where you can't even build on this world anymore. I know there is
still probably a lot of land on Mars to build on but whenever
I go land hunting here, (when AW is down) I can never seem to find some open
land where I can go and build.
There is always someone's useless garbage that they pointlessly put
there..ugh.
This is probably the issue that annoys me the most.... :-\
--
Syntax
syntax at earthcorp.com
www.swcity.net

[View Quote]

tony56

Jan 8, 2001, 12:44am

------=_NextPart_000_0066_01C078EA.2ABEC680

I know lots of land to build in, its a few meters off my colony..

--=20
- Tony56 (Tony M.) [chandler56 at mail.com]
"Give Me Liberty, or Give Me Pizza Pie!"
[View Quote] 2. Would it take the much to maybe fix up a few of the avatars too? =

syntax at earthcorp.com
www.swcity.net

[View Quote]

------=_NextPart_000_0066_01C078EA.2ABEC680

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>I know lots of land to build =
in, its a=20
few meters off my colony..</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR>- Tony56 (Tony M.) [<A=20
href=3D"mailto:chandler56 at mail.com">chandler56 at mail.com</A>]<BR>"Give Me =
Liberty,=20
or Give Me Pizza=20
Pie!"<BR>____________________________________________________________</DI=

<BLOCKQUOTE=20
<DIV>syntax &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:syntax at earthcorp.com">syntax at earthcorp.com</A>&gt; =
wrote in=20
message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:3a58dfb1 at server1.Activeworlds.com">news:3a58dfb1 at server1.Act=
iveworlds.com</A>...</DIV>1.=20
Don't think that this problem is only in Mars. It is in all =
the<BR>other "well=20
known" public building worlds such as COFMeta, Atlantis and<BR>Yellow. =
Yellow=20
has the worst object library I have ever seen, which =
drives<BR>me<BR>away from=20
that world whenever I feel like visiting it. Also, in=20
COFmeta,<BR>Cybernome<BR>is trying really hard to get new objects and =
avatars=20
in the world but I'm<BR>not seeing any<BR>cooperation from AWCom to =
carry out=20
this request.. (what the hell is new?)<BR>I can't say anything about =
Atlantis=20
because I never go there. :-p<BR>Anyways, don't feel bad because your =
not=20
alone on this matter. I too want<BR>Mars to<BR>get more objects that =
match its=20
atmosphere.<BR><BR>2. Would it take the much to maybe fix up a few of =
the=20
avatars too? Some of<BR>these<BR>avatars look like they were made in 3 =
and a=20
half minutes. :-\<BR><BR>3. Ahhhhhhhhhh I know! That is one thing =
about this=20
world that constantly<BR>reminds me<BR>not to build there. (I'd only =
build=20
here if I had to, like when AW is down)<BR>Even if you wanted to build =
there,=20
you can't because of all the<BR>garbage around. It's just really =
annoying.=20
This is the same with other<BR>worlds, even in AW.<BR>What could push =
a person=20
to just go and make garbage (like sloppily cover<BR>land) in the =
middle of=20
nowhere<BR>and then just leave it there for it to become someone =
else's=20
problem.<BR>Anyways, back to the point. Like Doctor TOC pointed out, =
this=20
problem on<BR>Mars has become critical. Almost to the<BR>point where =
you can't=20
even build on this world anymore. I know there is<BR>still probably a =
lot of=20
land on Mars to build on but whenever<BR>I go land hunting here, (when =
AW is=20
down) I can never seem to find some open<BR>land where&nbsp; I can go =
and=20
build.<BR>There is always someone's useless garbage that they =
pointlessly=20
put<BR>there..ugh.<BR>This is probably the issue that annoys me the =
most....=20
:-\<BR>--<BR>Syntax<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:syntax at earthcorp.com">syntax at earthcorp.com</A><BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.swcity.net">www.swcity.net</A><BR><BR><BR>doctor =
toc &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:otherchris at erols.com">otherchris at erols.com</A>&gt; =
wrote in=20
message<BR><A=20
=
href=3D"news:3A563CC9.1F3A1DBF at erols.com">news:3A563CC9.1F3A1DBF at erols.co=
m</A>...<BR>&gt;=20
Since Alpha World is up and down like a whore's drawers recently, =
I'll<BR>&gt;=20
confine my wish/grip list to Mars.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; 1. Please! More =
objects!=20
Alpha World has objects out the wazoo, while<BR>&gt; Mars has been =
starved of=20
new objects for - literally - years! It's<BR>&gt; getting beyond a =
joke now.=20
It's not like there's a shortage of suitable<BR>&gt; objects already =
in place=20
in other Sci/Fi based worlds. How much work<BR>&gt; would it be to =
make a few=20
of them available to Mars?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; 2. What's with the reduced =
Mars=20
avatar list in 3.0? This is supposed to<BR>&gt; be an=20
improvement?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; 3. "Not a Citizen"/Unused space tidy up. =
The=20
situation is getting stupid<BR>&gt; here. There are vast - and I do =
mean vast=20
- tracts of land that have<BR>&gt; been taken up by idiots using =
landlocker=20
that have remained untouched<BR>&gt; since 1997. Many of these people =
are no=20
longer citzens, and many of them<BR>&gt; are simply never ever going =
to use=20
that much space if they haven't<BR>&gt; already in the three to four =
years=20
that it's been since they claimed it.<BR>&gt; What's more, many of =
these=20
people marked their territory with the<BR>&gt; landing pad tiles, =
making those=20
areas an eyesore that ruins the<BR>&gt; "atmosphere" of Mars for =
everyone=20
else. Most of these people would<BR>&gt; *never* notice if their land =
was=20
freed up, and those that do should have<BR>&gt; done something with it =
instead=20
of leaving it alone. I've heard all the<BR>&gt; arguments about =
"there's a lot=20
of history" blah blah blah. Sorry,<BR>&gt; doesn't cut it. If anyone =
from COF=20
actually spent any time in Mars<BR>&gt; they'd realise that a clean up =
is=20
*desperately* needed.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Doctor=20
TOC<BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0066_01C078EA.2ABEC680--

syntax

------=_NextPart_000_0047_01C0794D.FB8DF0C0

Ok, I'll be there in a few minutes to make useless landing-pad objects. =
;-)
--=20
Syntax
syntax at earthcorp.com
www.swcity.net

[View Quote] --=20
- Tony56 (Tony M.) [chandler56 at mail.com]
"Give Me Liberty, or Give Me Pizza Pie!"

------=_NextPart_000_0047_01C0794D.FB8DF0C0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Ok, I'll be there in a few minutes to make useless =
landing-pad=20
objects. ;-)<BR>-- <BR>Syntax<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:syntax at earthcorp.com">syntax at earthcorp.com</A><BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.swcity.net">www.swcity.net</A><BR></FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
<DIV>tony56 &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:chandler56 at mail.com">chandler56 at mail.com</A>&gt; wrote =
in message=20
<A=20
=
href=3D"news:3a592983 at server1.Activeworlds.com">news:3a592983 at server1.Act=
iveworlds.com</A>...</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D1>I know lots of land to build in, its a few meters =
off my=20
colony..</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR>- Tony56 (Tony M.) [<A=20
href=3D"mailto:chandler56 at mail.com">chandler56 at mail.com</A>]<BR>"Give =
Me=20
Liberty, or Give Me Pizza Pie!"<BR></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0047_01C0794D.FB8DF0C0--