banning/ejections (Wishlist)

banning/ejections // Wishlist

1  |

zero

Nov 1, 2000, 2:36pm
I have been told this has been brought up bfore, but why not again.

I was told in the days of old of AW, a world owner could eject or ban by
account number. Then this feature was removed.
Now you can only eject based in IP. Which is a useless feature seeing as
most dial-up users simply needs to reboot, be assigned a new IP and then
voila, they are back in to harass again.
Seeing as most of the "Law" of Aw is virtual powerless to Ban
relentlessly re occurring harrasser and mischievous deviants, it should
be up to the world owners who pay money, to have a feature they need to
keep undesirable people out of their worlds.
Using the acct #, they could still eject users for 5 -10 or an
indefinite amount of time.
Simply by adding then removing the account number from the world
ejection box.
In the last months, I and some other world owners have had some issues
from certain users that will not cease to go away.
having this feature "re" implemented would help keep our worlds safer.

Anyone else agree? Anyone know why it was removed in the first place.
The floor is open.
Eeps need not apply

tony56

------=_NextPart_000_0051_01C04420.15259280

I agree with you on this, but there are a few cons to this (which is why =
CoF/AW removed it):

1) If you ban one tourist by the number "0", you end up blocking all the =
tourists.
2) There are a few rare people with multiple citizen accounts. They can =
just log in to the second account (and if needed, get a new IP) and =
invade the world again.

--=20
- Tony56 (aka Chandler56)
"Freedom: That's What The Government Wants You To Believe!"
[View Quote] I was told in the days of old of AW, a world owner could eject or ban =
[...]

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>I agree with you on this, but =
there are a=20
few cons to this (which is why CoF/AW removed it):</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>1) If you ban one tourist by =
the number=20
"0", you end up blocking all the tourists.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>2) There are a few rare =
people with=20
multiple citizen accounts. They can just log in to the second account =
(and if=20
needed, get a new IP) and invade the world again.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR>- Tony56 (aka Chandler56)<BR>"Freedom: That's What The=20
Government Wants You To=20
Believe!"<BR>____________________________________________________________=
</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
<DIV>zero &lt;<A =
href=3D"mailto:dmonix at home.com">dmonix at home.com</A>&gt; wrote=20
in message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:3A0041F2.8038470C at home.com">news:3A0041F2.8038470C at home.com<=
/A>...</DIV>I=20
have been told this has been brought up bfore, but why not =
again.<BR><BR>I was=20
told in the days of old of AW, a world owner could eject or ban =
by<BR>account=20
number. Then this feature was removed.<BR>Now you can only eject based =
in IP.=20
Which is a useless feature seeing as<BR>most dial-up users simply =
needs to=20
reboot, be assigned a new IP and then<BR>voila, they are back in to =
harass=20
again.<BR>Seeing as most of the "Law" of Aw is virtual powerless to=20
Ban<BR>relentlessly re occurring harrasser and mischievous deviants, =
it=20
should<BR>be up to the world owners who pay money, to have a feature =
they need=20
to<BR>keep undesirable people out of their worlds.<BR>Using the acct =
#, they=20
could still eject users for 5 -10 or an<BR>indefinite amount of=20
time.<BR>Simply by adding then removing the&nbsp; account number from =
the=20
world<BR>ejection box.<BR>In the last months, I and some other world =
owners=20
have had some issues<BR>from certain users that will not cease to go=20
away.<BR>having this feature "re" implemented would help keep our =
worlds=20
safer.<BR><BR>Anyone else agree? Anyone know why it was removed in the =
first=20
place.<BR>The floor is open.<BR>Eeps need not=20
apply<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0051_01C04420.15259280--

wyzard360

Nov 1, 2000, 11:24pm
Which is why there should be an option of whether you ban by cit number or
ip.

[View Quote] 1) If you ban one tourist by the number "0", you end up blocking all the
tourists.
2) There are a few rare people with multiple citizen accounts. They can just
log in to the second account (and if needed, get a new IP) and invade the
world again.

tony56

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C04437.02245740

True, but now the question is: How the hell do we convince a company =
that never listens to customers that it should reimplement a feature =
that was in the olden days of AW?

--=20
- Tony56 (aka Chandler56)
"Freedom: That's What The Government Wants You To Believe!"
[View Quote] [View Quote] 1) If you ban one tourist by the number "0", you end up blocking all =
the
tourists.
2) There are a few rare people with multiple citizen accounts. They =
can just
log in to the second account (and if needed, get a new IP) and invade =
the
world again.

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C04437.02245740

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>True, but now the question =
is: How the=20
hell do we convince a company that never listens to customers that it =
should=20
reimplement a feature that was in the olden days of AW?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR>- Tony56 (aka Chandler56)<BR>"Freedom: That's What The=20
Government Wants You To=20
Believe!"<BR>____________________________________________________________=
</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
<DIV>wyzard360 &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:wyzard360 at hotmail.com">wyzard360 at hotmail.com</A>&gt; =
wrote in=20
message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:3a00c23a$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com">news:3a00c23a$1 at server1=
..Activeworlds.com</A>...</DIV>Which=20
is why there should be an option of whether you ban by cit number=20
or<BR>ip.<BR><BR>"tony56" &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:chandler56 at mail.com">chandler56 at mail.com</A>&gt; wrote =
in=20
message<BR><A=20
=
href=3D"news:3a009d6e at server1.Activeworlds.com">news:3a009d6e at server1.Act=
iveworlds.com</A>...<BR>I=20
agree with you on this, but there are a few cons to this (which is=20
why<BR>CoF/AW removed it):<BR><BR>1) If you ban one tourist by the =
number "0",=20
you end up blocking all the<BR>tourists.<BR>2) There are a few rare =
people=20
with multiple citizen accounts. They can just<BR>log in to the second =
account=20
(and if needed, get a new IP) and invade the<BR>world=20
again.<BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C04437.02245740--

agent1

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C04438.93CE44C0

*gasp* Maybe you could ask! WHAT AN IDEA! :O

It's in the wishlist with reasons for its inclusion in the next version (after 3.1). There are many features being requested, and
this one is a good one like lots of the others.

-Agent1
[View Quote] --
- Tony56 (aka Chandler56)
"Freedom: That's What The Government Wants You To Believe!"
[View Quote] [View Quote] 1) If you ban one tourist by the number "0", you end up blocking all the
tourists.
2) There are a few rare people with multiple citizen accounts. They can just
log in to the second account (and if needed, get a new IP) and invade the
world again.

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C04438.93CE44C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>*gasp*&nbsp; Maybe you could ask!&nbsp; =
WHAT AN=20
IDEA! :O</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It's in the wishlist with reasons for =
its inclusion=20
in the next version (after 3.1). There are many features being =
requested, and=20
this one is a good one like lots of the others.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Agent1</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
<DIV>"tony56" &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:chandler56 at mail.com">chandler56 at mail.com</A>&gt; wrote =
in message=20
<A=20
=
href=3D"news:3a00c3dd at server1.Activeworlds.com">news:3a00c3dd at server1.Act=
iveworlds.com</A>...</DIV>
[...]

number=20
"0", you end up blocking all the<BR>tourists.<BR>2) There are a few =
rare=20
people with multiple citizen accounts. They can just<BR>log in to =
the second=20
account (and if needed, get a new IP) and invade the<BR>world=20
again.<BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C04438.93CE44C0--

zero

Nov 2, 2000, 12:24am
so because it is on here, Doesn't mean that it will make it... but it is
a realistic one, so it might?
As for people with dual accts, or coming in again with their
secondary...well ban them too.
As for tourists, they are no worries, pesky ones are all over, just
eject them.
design features like this hopefully can be implemented again, or maybe
even part of the AWServer set up exe.
for say a custom install.
I know I have had some issues of late that ppl in AW and others have not
been able to control and having a ban acct feature would have solved the
problem in minutes.
Hopefully other world owners can put in some words to support this as
well.
:)

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------7D3EA698ADE1701036FB06B7

if not as an eject option, maybe the world rights box could be
modified by adding a "not" checkbox - so you could say

enter : ID1, ID2, ID3, ID4
=> implies : everyone else may not enter

or optional

enter : NOT ID1, ID2, ID3, ID4
=> implies : everyone else may enter

Less changes in the interface but same effect - and you could
be more specific in your choice what you want to allow or to deny
(everyone may build except for ... - everyone speak except ...)

this will only fail if someone re-enters as a tourist or with a
different Citizen-ID but I still think it would be a good thing
to have that option

Volker (Ananas)
--------------7D3EA698ADE1701036FB06B7

begin:vcard
n:Hatzenberger;Volker
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:oct31.de
adr:;;Bornheimer Strasse 15;Bonn;;53111;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------7D3EA698ADE1701036FB06B7--

anduin lothar

Nov 2, 2000, 3:11am
Actually people, you can just as easily use a Preston bot hosted 24/7 and
add them to the automatic ejection setting, both citnumbers and
citizen/tourist names are accepted, so it's not that much of a hassle
anyway.

Anduin

[View Quote]

zero

Nov 2, 2000, 4:37am
Thats great and all Anduin but i would like a service from the company I pay to
have worlds from.
Its not that hard of a feature to implement.

[View Quote] > Actually people, you can just as easily use a Preston bot hosted 24/7 and
> add them to the automatic ejection setting, both citnumbers and
> citizen/tourist names are accepted, so it's not that much of a hassle
> anyway.
>
> Anduin

wing

Nov 2, 2000, 9:52am
Pain in the ass dude, even if you have a relatively small world, it'd take a
complex grid of bots laid out over the entire world to cover the whole area
with their chat range, which is the radius they eject in. Remember, we only
have THREE bots per account, and setting up these things and keeping them that
way is a major pain. I figure you'd need 1 bot at GZ, one bot at each of the
20,20 coords, and one at each 50,50 coord to cover a world 50nsew. Thats THREE
FULL ACCOUNTS of bots. Nine bots... To eject one person, you'd have to go
around and add the citnum to each and every one of them

[View Quote] > Actually people, you can just as easily use a Preston bot hosted 24/7 and
> add them to the automatic ejection setting, both citnumbers and
> citizen/tourist names are accepted, so it's not that much of a hassle
> anyway.
>
> Anduin

[View Quote]

anduin lothar

Nov 3, 2000, 2:14am
Well with a small world I would see why you would have local teleports
turned on then ;o)

[View Quote]

wing

Nov 3, 2000, 9:56am
Heres a challenge for you. Build somthing around 30-40 odd coords off of the 0
axes. Then, give someone the coords and tell them to go there with local
teleports turned off. Most people can't/won't do it

[View Quote] > Well with a small world I would see why you would have local teleports
> turned on then ;o)

[View Quote]

anduin lothar

Nov 3, 2000, 7:34pm
I was talking about a small world.

Anduin

[View Quote]

tony56

------=_NextPart_000_0059_01C045B6.B8332D60

Not a lot of people can afford hosting anyway, so this is an option.. =
still think CoF needs to do something..

--=20
- Tony56 (aka Chandler56)
"Freedom: That's What The Government Wants You To Believe!"
[View Quote] Anduin

[View Quote]

------=_NextPart_000_0059_01C045B6.B8332D60

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>Not a lot of people can =
afford hosting=20
anyway, so this is an option.. still think CoF needs to do=20
something..</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR>- Tony56 (aka Chandler56)<BR>"Freedom: That's What The=20
Government Wants You To=20
Believe!"<BR>____________________________________________________________=
</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
<DIV>anduin lothar &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:uswf at centercom.com.au">uswf at centercom.com.au</A>&gt; =
wrote in=20
message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:3a032f50 at server1.Activeworlds.com">news:3a032f50 at server1.Act=
iveworlds.com</A>...</DIV>I=20
was talking about a small world.<BR><BR>Anduin<BR><BR><BR>"wing" =
&lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:bathgate at prodigy.net">bathgate at prodigy.net</A>&gt; =
wrote in=20
message<BR><A=20
=
href=3D"news:3A02A143.925F684 at prodigy.net">news:3A02A143.925F684 at prodigy.=
net</A>...<BR>&gt;=20
Heres a challenge for you. Build somthing around 30-40 odd coords off=20
of<BR>the 0<BR>&gt; axes. Then, give someone the coords and tell them =
to go=20
there with local<BR>&gt; teleports turned off. Most people can't/won't =
do=20
it<BR><BR><BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0059_01C045B6.B8332D60--

maka

Nov 12, 2000, 1:01pm
i agree with Zero,its pointless banning on IP

jey

Nov 12, 2000, 4:28pm
It is not pointless banning using IP numbers. For Example:
[View Quote]

jey

Nov 12, 2000, 4:35pm
Whhooppss sent that by mistake . . . . anyways . . . like I was saying:

It is not pointless to ban people using IP numbers.
Say you have someone that is being very disruptive, so you ban them
using their citizen number. They can then get into your world using someone
else's privilege password. Now, you can't ban the citizen number (well you
can, but it would be sort of mean) that the disruptive person is using the
privileges from, therefore; that would be a time to ban using an IP.

There are times to use it and times not to. I believe and probably a lot
other do too, that IP banning and Citizen Number Banning should be an option
that the ejector will choose, instead of just having it ban using an IP
number or using a Citizen Number.

[View Quote]

john viper

Nov 12, 2000, 6:03pm
Yes, definitely have an option -- when you eject to eject by IP or by Citno

--
_________________________
John Viper

[View Quote]

wyzard360

Nov 12, 2000, 7:33pm
Yeah but they can still get back in if you eject them with their ip just by
reconnecting to the net.

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------E861FA86F2955932921AC59E

Giving your priviledge password to someone who turns out to be a vandal,
I think if someone does that it is his own fault if he is ejected from
worlds for a while. The priv. password can do as much damage as having
the real password of a user. I know that many give it to lots of ppl.
and then have trouble with that - so change your priv password
frequently,
give it only to ppl. you trust or set it only while you can watch the
one
who will use it.

So it is not unfair to eject a vandal using a priv. pass of someone
else,
it helps "someone else" learn to take care for his own rights.

Ananas

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------E861FA86F2955932921AC59E--

grimble

Nov 15, 2000, 3:58pm
Just a thought. Don't know much about dynamic IP allocation (except that it
seems that in the UK no-one - cable, ADSL, etc. - will give you a fixed IP
address without a leased line - in my area anyway) but ....

If you ban a dynamic IP address, theoretically aren't you banning someone
later who hasn't one anything wrong (i.e. the NEXT person allocated that IP
on dialup) ????

Grims

[View Quote]

zero

Nov 16, 2000, 11:40pm
it is your own fault if you give out passwords and even privs to the most
trusted of friends.
It states clearly I believe in the AW instal (which no one reads) and in the
acct info , not to give out passwords and privs, which is genrally safe practice
anywhere.
In short, if someon uses your powers for bad, You are responsible.
Bottom line.

[View Quote] > Whhooppss sent that by mistake . . . . anyways . . . like I was saying:

> It is not pointless to ban people using IP numbers.
> Say you have someone that is being very disruptive, so you ban them
> using their citizen number. They can then get into your world using someone
> else's privilege password. Now, you can't ban the citizen number (well you
> can, but it would be sort of mean) that the disruptive person is using the
> privileges from, therefore; that would be a time to ban using an IP.
>
> There are times to use it and times not to. I believe and probably a lot
> other do too, that IP banning and Citizen Number Banning should be an option
> that the ejector will choose, instead of just having it ban using an IP
> number or using a Citizen Number.

[View Quote] --
Chris Waddell
dmonix at home.com
www.dmonix.net

grimble

Nov 17, 2000, 7:57am
I totally agree with zero.

By giving your password/privileges to other people, you are effectively
letting them operate in AW as you. If you DO give out your password, then
its your choice. If you own the world, then give them the privileges
outright. If you don't, then morally you shouldn't do it because YOU have
been given the rights by the world owner - and not your "friend" - because
he/she trusted YOU.

The only valid reason for using the privilege passwords that I can see is if
YOU want to host bots. How many people out there share e-mail and ISP
passwords?

Grims.