Newbie Question // Bots

1  |

moonstonewolf

Dec 25, 1999, 6:10pm
Hi. I have a world and am trying to program 2 bots, one to greet (The
Preston Bot) and the other is Hambot to just walk around. First, is
there a way I can get the hambot to quit saying every few minutes "Type
my name......to own me" ? and is there a way I can program the Preston
bot to walk around a bit as well, but not too far from the entrance.

Second is how do I configure coordinates, say 40N 50E 0.5A 180 to aw
terms? Is 180 the degrees turned? I know whether you are facing N, S, E
or W or any other direction but how do I get the bot to be turned around
in the last number. I'm not sure if I'm actually saying this correctly.
I have noticed that the bot is right on top of anyone who comes in the
world.

I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thank you.

MoonstoneWolf

moonstonewolf

Dec 25, 1999, 6:26pm
I almost forgot, the world is Native American and so I was wondering if
there is a program/utility that I can download to change the appearance
(skin color, haircut,etc) of my bots and if so where can I download it from.
I'm running Windows 95 on a Packard Bell. Also, does that same program also
work at construction new objects and avs? Maybe the last 2 don't belong in
this newsgroup, but thought I'd ask anyway. thank you?

MoonstoneWolf

[View Quote] > Hi. I have a world and am trying to program 2 bots, one to greet (The
> Preston Bot) and the other is Hambot to just walk around. First, is
> there a way I can get the hambot to quit saying every few minutes "Type
> my name......to own me" ? and is there a way I can program the Preston
> bot to walk around a bit as well, but not too far from the entrance.
>
> Second is how do I configure coordinates, say 40N 50E 0.5A 180 to aw
> terms? Is 180 the degrees turned? I know whether you are facing N, S, E
> or W or any other direction but how do I get the bot to be turned around
> in the last number. I'm not sure if I'm actually saying this correctly.
> I have noticed that the bot is right on top of anyone who comes in the
> world.
>
> I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thank you.
>
> MoonstoneWolf

faber

Dec 26, 1999, 12:14pm
Moonstonewolf,

preston can not be made walking around like hambot. It walks towards a
person on request or goes to a specificl location, but random walking is not
possible.

40N 50E 0.5A 180 is 400 m north, 500m east from GZ. its half a meter up
and faces south.

0 is north, 90 is east, 180 south and 270 is west.

In order to turn around from a specific degree, just add 180 to it, and then
substract 360 if your number is >360 :)

Walter aka Faber (author of Preston)

"moonstonewolf" <lakota12 at postoffice.swbell.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3864CF8C.BFAD5C44 at postoffice.swbell.net...
> Hi. I have a world and am trying to program 2 bots, one to greet (The
> Preston Bot) and the other is Hambot to just walk around. First, is
> there a way I can get the hambot to quit saying every few minutes "Type
> my name......to own me" ? and is there a way I can program the Preston
> bot to walk around a bit as well, but not too far from the entrance.
>
> Second is how do I configure coordinates, say 40N 50E 0.5A 180 to aw
> terms? Is 180 the degrees turned? I know whether you are facing N, S, E
> or W or any other direction but how do I get the bot to be turned around
> in the last number. I'm not sure if I'm actually saying this correctly.
> I have noticed that the bot is right on top of anyone who comes in the
> world.
>
> I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thank you.
>
> MoonstoneWolf

moonstonewolf

Dec 26, 1999, 3:04pm
Thank you so much for the information. Cool bot by the way, I have noticed he is
easier to use than some I have tried. I am not very good with math and was
totally confused about the degrees....yes, I remember now the degrees after you
mention. This is actually my first time building, first time owning a world let
alone using a bot. Guess I like to go for the gusto all at once instead of
learning a little at a time., but that's ok, I tend to learn better this way.

I appreciate your answer and hope you had a Meryy Christmas.

MoonstoneWolf

[View Quote] > Moonstonewolf,

> preston can not be made walking around like hambot. It walks towards a
> person on request or goes to a specificl location, but random walking is not
> possible.
>
> 40N 50E 0.5A 180 is 400 m north, 500m east from GZ. its half a meter up
> and faces south.
>
> 0 is north, 90 is east, 180 south and 270 is west.
>
> In order to turn around from a specific degree, just add 180 to it, and then
> substract 360 if your number is >360 :)
>
> Walter aka Faber (author of Preston)
>
> "moonstonewolf" <lakota12 at postoffice.swbell.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:3864CF8C.BFAD5C44 at postoffice.swbell.net...

serac

Dec 27, 1999, 6:24am
> 40N 50E 0.5A 180 is 400 m north, 500m east from GZ. its half a meter up
> and faces south.
>
> 0 is north, 90 is east, 180 south and 270 is west.

You must not be talking about the Active Worlds browser. Because in the
browser, 1A is 10 meters. 0.5A is 5 meters in altitude; not a half of a
meter. And 90 is west in the browser; 270 is east.

faber

Dec 27, 1999, 3:24pm
Regarding the altitude, you are of course correct.. as some may have noticed
in earlier preston builds i messed that up there as well. :)

regarding the west/east, now that you say that i am wrong there, i am not
certain anymore :)

usually degrees only turn up in relative form and in some c functions, and
the actual name of the direction
is not that important in that case :)

Walter aka Faber

"serac" <serac at lightmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:38672245 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
up

> You must not be talking about the Active Worlds browser. Because in the
> browser, 1A is 10 meters. 0.5A is 5 meters in altitude; not a half of a
> meter. And 90 is west in the browser; 270 is east.

sagaman

Dec 28, 1999, 2:19am
Well, I made exactly the same mistake with Altitude. Because I looked at
the altitude display which reads in meters.

However. Although what you describe for N,S,E,W is true, it's a bug. One
that they are stuck with now. Since they decided to express position in
terms of latitude & longitude they should have shown W=270 & E=90, as any
idiot who has ever looked at a compass would have known. They are just
plain wrong and will no doubt confuse the hell out of a bunch of kids who
don't know any better. I am undecided as to whether I should propagate this
foolishness in my bot interfaces or confuse everyone even more by doing it
the right way.

Norm