Virtual Virus (Wishlist)

Virtual Virus // Wishlist

1  2  |

nas

Oct 10, 1998, 12:45pm
I was just thinking to add even more reality to activeworlds, why isn't
a program introduced that would release a certain amount virtual virus
into the population? It could float in the virtual atmosphere in random
areas of town so that when someone passed through they got infected.
Symtoms such as the avatar turning slightly pale and having nervous
twitches could alert other people to this infection. A new branch of
peacekeepers could be created to deal with outbreaks of disease and put
the infected person into quarantine. Of course, to add a bit of spice to
the affair, there should be a 1 in a thousand chance of the virus being
lethal - which would mean that the particular avatar would have to be
put down ie be disconnected indefintely.

The only way for the destroyed avatar to be allowed back in, if if the
Virtual Hospital develops a cure which would eradicate the virus ;-)

Nas

jan-willem de bleser

--------------C7A0EF8C26A4E2C0A93A86BC

if you make it too real, people wont come anymore. they'l just exist in rl
and wont come to AW to get away from rl for a while. see my previous
message: news://news.activeworlds.com/361E5FDC.99A6241C%40mediaone.net

[View Quote] > I was just thinking to add even more reality to activeworlds, why isn't
> a program introduced that would release a certain amount virtual virus
> into the population? It could float in the virtual atmosphere in random
> areas of town so that when someone passed through they got infected.
> Symtoms such as the avatar turning slightly pale and having nervous
> twitches could alert other people to this infection. A new branch of
> peacekeepers could be created to deal with outbreaks of disease and put
> the infected person into quarantine. Of course, to add a bit of spice to
> the affair, there should be a 1 in a thousand chance of the virus being
> lethal - which would mean that the particular avatar would have to be
> put down ie be disconnected indefintely.
>
> The only way for the destroyed avatar to be allowed back in, if if the
> Virtual Hospital develops a cure which would eradicate the virus ;-)
>
> Nas

--------------C7A0EF8C26A4E2C0A93A86BC

begin: vcard
fn: Jan-willem De Bleser
n: De Bleser;Jan-willem
org: High school
email;internet: debleser at mediaone.net
x-mozilla-cpt: ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version: 2.1
end: vcard

--------------C7A0EF8C26A4E2C0A93A86BC--

klassi

Oct 10, 1998, 5:41pm
[View Quote] > I was just thinking to add even more reality to activeworlds, why isn't
> a program introduced that would release a certain amount virtual virus
> into the population?

Not a bad idea!. A commercial Multi User Game that I played in and part
controlled introduced things like the Plague, Cancer etc etc., yes it was
more
realistic, but I know people that have died from things like cancer so it
became
a constant reminder to me. Just my opinion but I think AW can do without
diseases.

Klassi

scott d. miller

Oct 12, 1998, 10:45am
[View Quote] I'm going to answer this in the spirit of the original post as being some sort
of sick joke.

If the strain of virus was really virulent, then the "special PKs" could go
around wearing haz-mat suits and toting flame throwers. When they came across
anyone they thought was infected they could put the poor sucker out of their
misery before they infected others.

Picture this, we'd all be standing around GZ having a nice peaceful conversation
then someone would notice a column of greasy looking black smoke rising into the
sky in the distance. "Better them than us." Or how about, you'd be walking
around checking out the scenery when you'd come across an avatar shaped
blackened lump in the middle of the street. Maybe COF could add a few maggot
bots to clean up the place...

--
Naaaa, I changed my mind. No thank you.

ScottyDM

--
Please send all SPAMS, FLAMES, and CONSPIRACY THEORIES to scottydm at cwia.com
Send all other IMPORTANT CORRESPONDENCE to scottydm at codenet.net
___
/////\\ Digitally Enhanced Portrait of:
{|-0-0-|} Scott D. Miller,
| % | Silicon Mercenary
\===/ Freelance Chip Designer

always #5 FOO = ~FOO; // the sound of a beating heart

nas

Oct 12, 1998, 1:34pm
[View Quote] 'Sick joke'? You're just too funny. Maybe there should be special PK's
to monitor the quality of the jokes - dressed in clowns gear they would
go around throwing buckets of glitter at funny jokers and buckets of
you-know-what at not so funny jokers.
I fear you wouldn't be called Gary Glitter ... but then again you should
be glad.

Nas 'Spirit of Sick Jokes Past', apparently.

scott d. miller

Oct 12, 1998, 9:03pm
[View Quote] Nas;

It started with CloudSTifa's thread about "...AW-WAR" and tornados; then Jason
Fox wanted to ad "Virtual Money" to the mix (an interesting idea for a commerce
oriented world); you followed with a couple of threads about "Virtual Death" and
"Virtual Insanity" as a way to deal with people being away from their computers
(Joe Rogers injected a thread about "Virtual Barf", a protest against too much
virtuallity); and finally you suggested a "Virtual Virus".

Why the H**l would ANYONE want sickness or disease in Active Worlds? Why would
ANYONE want to be FORCED to participate such a plan (or a war, or a tornado, or
even FORCED to use virtual money). Since your "Virtual Death" and Virtual
Insanity" threads seemed to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek, I was HOPING that
"Virtual Virus" was a disgusting joke, written as a reaction to virtual war and
destruction. My post was EXTREME and written to SHOCK and DISGUST the reader. If
you honestly think that a virtual virus would somehow enhance the VR experience
of AW, they you shock and disgust me.

People get really pissed off at trigger happy PSs who banish them for only
slight social infractions (such as saying "I am so pissed" while in America).
Why the h**l would ANYONE want to be RANDOMLY banished from the AW universe by
special PKs (placed in the virtual hospital), just to satisfy your sadistic
quest for reality.

ScottyDM

--
REINSTATE PROTAGONIST!
Please send all SPAMS, FLAMES, and CONSPIRACY THEORIES to scottydm at cwia.com
Send all other IMPORTANT CORRESPONDENCE to scottydm at codenet.net
___
/////\\ Digitally Enhanced Portrait of:
{|-0-0-|} Scott D. Miller,
| % | Silicon Mercenary
\===/ Freelance Chip Designer

always #5 FOO = ~FOO; // the sound of a beating heart

pandemonium

Oct 12, 1998, 9:45pm
You go get 'em tiger!! I was wondering if anyone else was thinking that the
whole idea of trying to make AW as messy as the real world was an AWFUL
idea!!

[View Quote]

bryon l. snell

Oct 13, 1998, 9:37am
Sounds kinda DRASTIC! (and "New W. Orderish) But if you want to spread
disease (I think you should just live RIGHT and take your vitamins!) perhaps
"WE" could try the first (TIMECODED) "inoculation" -ON YOU ! (o.k.?)
{Then you may have a little extra time to read Len Horowitz ( Designer
Diseases)}
Nas wrote :
>I was just thinking to add even more reality to activeworlds, why isn't
>a program introduced that would release a certain amount virtual virus
>into the population? It could float in the virtual atmosphere in random
>areas of town so that when someone passed through they got infected.
>Symtoms such as the avatar turning slightly pale and having nervous
>twitches could alert other people to this infection. A new branch of
>peacekeepers deal with outbreaks put
>the infected person into quarantine.to add a bit of spice to
>the affair, the virus being
>lethal - that the particular avatar would have to be
>put down ie be disconnected indefintely.
>
>The only way for the destroyed avatar to be allowed back in, if if the
>Virtual Hospital develops a cure which would eradicate the virus ;-)
>
>Nas

nas

Oct 13, 1998, 11:18am
Finally you understand! The way forward is super-realism anf if AW
doesn't go with this flow it will be left behind inhabitted by narrow
minded folk like yourself.
And who said people would be 'RANDOMLY' banished? The offending folk
would be selected according to a list and their risk of infection: not
that anyone would abuse the system to get rid of annoying
'PROGRESS-SHMOGRESS' supporters...

NAs

[View Quote] > Why the h**l would ANYONE want to be RANDOMLY banished from the AW universe by
> special PKs (placed in the virtual hospital), just to satisfy your sadistic
> quest for reality.
>
> ScottyDM

dthknight

Oct 13, 1998, 7:42pm
that would be random though - your risk would be randomly generated, I
assume. AW is chat and build, not strictly "Virtual Reality". If you
want AW to be ultra-realistic, sorry, but RL is RL and best kept for
RL... AW is 'entertainment', not 'work'.

[View Quote]

scott d. miller

Oct 14, 1998, 5:31am
[View Quote] I cannot believe that you are really serious about this. If you think super
realism is wonderful and disease is "in", then move to Calcutta and throw away
your soap.

Face it Nas, the idea SUCKS. It is the single worst idea EVER on this newsgroup.

ScottyDM

--
REINSTATE PROTAGONIST!
Please send all SPAMS, FLAMES, and CONSPIRACY THEORIES to scottydm at cwia.com
Send all other IMPORTANT CORRESPONDENCE to scottydm at codenet.net
___
/////\\ Digitally Enhanced Portrait of:
{|-0-0-|} Scott D. Miller,
| % | Silicon Mercenary
\===/ Freelance Chip Designer

always #5 FOO = ~FOO; // the sound of a beating heart

nas

Oct 14, 1998, 8:32am
Move to Calcutta and throw away the soap? Your derogatory remarks about
south asia show you to be a narrow minded bigot and perhaps even a
racist..
Whether mine is worst idea ever is debatable, -but not with the likes of
you.

NAs

[View Quote]

pandemonium

Oct 14, 1998, 12:17pm
Ok, you so don't want to debate it with Scott D. Miller, well how about with
me?
Your Idea sucks!!!! I'm not saying that you suck, just that your idea sucks
and isn't going to fly in AW, so get over it and move on.

Maybe if you really want disease and death so bad you can invest in your own
world and figure out a way to implement it, but I bet you'll probably be
pretty lonely, cause who else but you would want to go there?

[View Quote]

rune

Oct 14, 1998, 4:47pm
LOLOLOLOLOL I think its all terribly funny, and that it is a funny idea of
NAS, not sadistic of sick minded. C'MON PEOPLE LIGHTEN UP!

sheesh, it is a virtual world and anything that would add something to do
other than stare at unlimited combinations of objects is welcome.

The cancellation of the account is a bit much..though...but seeing a gray av
twitching and PS's in environment suits running up and asking him to follow
them to the hospital where he might click a syringe object and be
cured...would add the grand opera that is the AW universe. LOL

Just like the AW gangs that passed through some time ago, those were funny,
and they were reported on in the local AW newspaper (then hosted by Dataman)
and current whereabouts were also discussed, and ppl would often shout they
had witnessed a gang offence! and report where it took place. it was all a
game and really added to AW's entertainment factor.

Also, years ago, when all objects in AW were deleted, it was claimed far and
wide that a meteor had struck and annihilated everything in sight! So for
those of you want to live in a perfect virtual environment where nothing
interesting ever happens, I suggest u stay away from here. heheh

-raiven-

dthknight

Oct 14, 1998, 8:28pm
> sheesh, it is a virtual world and anything that would add something to do
> other than stare at unlimited combinations of objects is welcome.

The rest of us LIKE to build, chat, and look around. Or at least most of
us do. And while there's a few that don't like to chat, and a few that
don't like to build, there's only a VERY VERY small amount that don't
like to look around - if you build or chat, you have to look around,
either for ideas of what to build, or wherever you're chatting. You
think people at GZ ever ignore the surroundings?

> Just like the AW gangs that passed through some time ago, those were funny,

As I was not there at the time I cannot really comment on this, but I do
NOT think that if this happened today it would be considered funny. If
someone went and vandalized your next-door neighbors house,
spraypainting 'XYZ RULEZ!' on the door and smashing in all the windows,
would you be laughing? Don't think so. And you CERTAINLY wouldn't be if
it was your house. The same in AW - if someone vandalizes your
neighbor's land, you don't like it, because it also makes YOUR
neighboring property look ugly... it's a 'decrease of property
values'...

[View Quote]

scott d. miller

Oct 15, 1998, 12:31am
[View Quote] The reason I object to the virtual virus idea so strongly is that it is FORCED
on the users of AW. No one has a choice. It is random, so no one is immune
(unless someone comes up with a hack). One of the major hot buttons with a large
part of the AW community is PKs or ABs with eject privileges that are very quick
on the eject button. When they boot someone without a warning and for seemingly
random reasons, people start screaming. You want to have the program RANDOMLY
"infect" people with a "virtual virus" so that they MUST be FORCED to spend time
in a "hospital" to get better. That is why the idea SUCKS, and COF would be
total idiots if they implemented it.

--
The reason I used the comment about Calcutta is that Calcutta has an
international reputation as a place of disease and plagues. That comment has

Racist? off topic Nas, I have a 16 year old daughter, would I want an Indian as
a son-in-law? Why not, if he is a decent sort. He's got to be better than the
"walking dead" (Goth) she is hanging out with now.

Perhaps you would prefer I stick to my own backyard. Ok Nas, If you think super
realism is wonderful and disease is "in", then come to New Mexico (in the USA),
you can get a shovel and go out in the desert, dig around the holes of ground
squirrels living there; spend a few weeks even. It is *very* rare but they have
discovered a new virus that is carried by some of the squirrels; about 75% fatal
in humans and quick, two to four days.

Now THERE is an idea that SUCKS.

--
What is the real issue? Better realism? Ok, there are TONS of ideas we could
wish for that would give more realism without getting into freezing users out of

From a technical perspective, to accomplish this would require redesigning the
AW browser to accept the "drink" command, and creating special avatars with
stumble, crawl, and barf actions. Given COF's development schedule, I don't
think we'll see progress in this area soon.

ScottyDM

--
Please send all SPAMS, FLAMES, and CONSPIRACY THEORIES to scottydm at cwia.com
Send all other IMPORTANT CORRESPONDENCE to scottydm at codenet.net
___
/////\\ Digitally Enhanced Portrait of:
{|-0-0-|} Scott D. Miller,
| % | Silicon Mercenary
\===/ Freelance Chip Designer

always #5 FOO = ~FOO; // the sound of a beating heart

xavarella

Oct 15, 1998, 2:21am
Nas, give it up :)

Scott D. Miller <scottydm at cwia.com> wrote in article
<36255E89.B6E39C32 at cwia.com>...
[View Quote]

nas

Oct 15, 1998, 10:57am
This was a lesson in being less serious - it seems only Rune captured
the idea. The virtual virus post was of course, a jest but by the
reaction of certain people it seems that there is a serious problem to
address.
The fact most of you came at me daggers-drawn because i suggested a
change in the way AW works suggest that maybe some people are stuck in
their ways and that AW may one day stagnate under the influence of these
folk.
Rune said something about gangs in the early days of the AW being fun -
and he does has a point, the concept of total order isn't that appealing
in the long-run - people get bored.
Maybe the old-fogeys who run AW may want things to be solid never
changing and well-ordered - but to younger people who will eventally
take over it 'sucks'. A little chaos once in a while is entertaining and
entertainment, really, is AW's business.

So the lesson we learned today is: change is good.

Nas 'tested you' apparently.

pandemonium

Oct 15, 1998, 1:06pm
Are you referring to the "Hanta" virus? I didn't know that ground squirrels
were carriers, I thought it was just mice The droppings when stirred up, for
example by a broom when you are cleaning your house, release the pathogen
into the air where it is breathed in and infects the new host (human). But I
know floor sure you are dead on about the fatality rate, and it is indeed
extremely rare, but incidents are on the rise. BTW it is also in Texas and
Arizona.

[View Quote]

pandemonium

Oct 15, 1998, 1:33pm
Nas, you say you get bored with no chaos in AW, but maybe that's because you
don't have enough action in your real life? I'm not an old fogey, I'm only
25, but I don't find chaos to be fun at all, I've had enough of it in my
real life. I am vehement about not having disease in AW because I've had to
see friends wither away from the AIDS virus in real life, not to mention the
family members I've had to watch go through agony in battling cancer. Maybe
the "old fogeys" don't want that in AW cause they've lived long enough to
realize that it sucks!! Why would we want in AW? Maybe once you have been
out in the world long enough to lose YOUR sheltered way of looking at
things, you'll understand more. Death and disease aren't funny.....you'll
understand that concept when you grow up.

As far as "Gangs" in AW being funny, I wouldn't find it funny at all!! I
grew up in Los Angeles, and vandalism isn't fun. You ever had the front of
your house covered in graffiti and then had to worry that if you cleaned it
up you would be harassed in retaliation, or even shot? Hmm something to
think about....
If I found graffiti in my yard in AW, I'd be pretty upset!! Of course I
wouldn't have to worry about being shot, but I would have to consider being
harassed and like I said, I've had that in Real life, don't need it in here.

Allot of us use AW for entertainment, but we like to keep it as pleasant and
fun entertainment and there is nothing wrong with that at all.
There's nothing wrong with you wanting a little chaos either, but why not go
looking for it in a venue that is made for that type of
entertainment.....ever play Quake online?

[View Quote]

nas

Oct 15, 1998, 3:38pm
You miss the point completely. Just because disease and death exist in
the real world doesn't mean you have to hide from it in a virtual world.
And you call me sheltered? It's your view which is sheltered and maybe
when you grow a bit more older you'll find that out.
Besides, in a virtual world death and disease would be funny - since in
this virtual world we suffer no physical loss or pain. Gangs vandalising
property would be fun too as the property is not real and thus there is
no real cost. I find your argument fails to address anything except of
the of the common good of the few who you represent.
Chaos would inject vigour into AW - Order causes a lack of variation
which inevitabley results in a slow degenerative process.
Order also restricts freedom - something which contradicts the concept
of the medium though which it passes.
You finish with lame attack on Quake players(not that I played it) which
obviously shows at which level you're mind was operating at when you
wrote your reply.
The main point is that the real world and the virtual world are
different so the effect of a factor on one will not necessarily be the
same effect on the other. Maybe if you thought a bit before you replied,
you would have come to the same conclusion - then again, maybe not..

Nas

[View Quote]

rolu

Oct 15, 1998, 5:13pm
[View Quote] What?!? Are you nuts? What do you think of the work someone has put in his
work?? "Hey, i can't touch it, so it won't matter if we demolish it"? It
ain't real as in RL, but it exists on our computer screen, and in our minds,
so IT WILL MATTER IF IT GETS DEMOLISHED!! It AINT fun!

Go away!

I find your argument fails to address anything except of
>the of the common good of the few who you represent.
>Chaos would inject vigour into AW - Order causes a lack of variation
>which inevitabley results in a slow degenerative process.
>Order also restricts freedom - something which contradicts the concept
>of the medium though which it passes.
>You finish with lame attack on Quake players(not that I played it) which
>obviously shows at which level you're mind was operating at when you
>wrote your reply.
>The main point is that the real world and the virtual world are
>different so the effect of a factor on one will not necessarily be the
>same effect on the other. Maybe if you thought a bit before you replied,
>you would have come to the same conclusion - then again, maybe not..
>
>Nas

[View Quote]

=?iso-8859-1?q?eep=b2?=

Oct 15, 1998, 10:19pm
--------------98B5317632FC3E9E842690E9

Eh, pipe down and learn how to spell, kid.

[View Quote] > I find thsi whole section of the NG(one half og the newsgroup wow!)
> hilarious because u cover sooooo much of the list and ge to nothing other
> than annoy Nas over one suggestion...now then the beer thingyw ere ya click
> that would be neat, and some other people are right aobut it being random,
> so maybe if you never build and you never talk, then u coudl become prone to
> get that virus, because we are here in AW to talk build and hang out..not to
> mention look at others buildings. I sitll see this ver hilarious and
> pointless to fill half of the newsgroup just to say how you dont like a
> suggestion, I thought newsgroups were to help people with stuff, and share
> information, NOT to annoy people because they said something stpid, your
> acting like Kids(i should know im 12).

--------------98B5317632FC3E9E842690E9

<HTML>
Eh, pipe down and learn how to spell, kid.
[View Quote] --------------98B5317632FC3E9E842690E9--

r. mike smith

Oct 15, 1998, 10:25pm
Welcome to the Wishlist, Abbot. Happens all the time =).
[View Quote]

abbot pabisoko

Oct 15, 1998, 11:12pm
I find thsi whole section of the NG(one half og the newsgroup wow!)
hilarious because u cover sooooo much of the list and ge to nothing other
than annoy Nas over one suggestion...now then the beer thingyw ere ya click
that would be neat, and some other people are right aobut it being random,
so maybe if you never build and you never talk, then u coudl become prone to
get that virus, because we are here in AW to talk build and hang out..not to
mention look at others buildings. I sitll see this ver hilarious and
pointless to fill half of the newsgroup just to say how you dont like a
suggestion, I thought newsgroups were to help people with stuff, and share
information, NOT to annoy people because they said something stpid, your
acting like Kids(i should know im 12).

abbot pabisoko

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01BDF87C.112480C0

What does my soelling have to do with it?Still think filling half of the =
NG complaining is pointless
[View Quote] I find thsi whole section of the NG(one half og the newsgroup =
wow!)=20
hilarious because u cover sooooo much of the list and ge to =
nothing other=20
than annoy Nas over one suggestion...now then the beer thingyw =
ere ya click=20
that would be neat, and some other people are right aobut it =
being random,=20
so maybe if you never build and you never talk, then u coudl =
become prone to=20
get that virus, because we are here in AW to talk build and hang =
out..not to=20
mention look at others buildings. I sitll see this ver hilarious =
and=20
pointless to fill half of the newsgroup just to say how you dont =
like a=20
suggestion, I thought newsgroups were to help people with stuff, =
and share=20
information, NOT to annoy people because they said something =
stpid, your=20
acting like Kids(i should know im 12).

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01BDF87C.112480C0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 =
Transitional//EN">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>What does my soelling have to do with it?Still think =
filling=20
half of the NG complaining is pointless</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: =
5px">
[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_0016_01BDF87C.112480C0--

abbot pabisoko

Oct 15, 1998, 11:41pm
It may happen all the time but half of the NG!?!?!
[View Quote]

rolu

Oct 16, 1998, 5:55am
We ain't cracking someone down, we are forming an opinion about this. That
needs some discussion. And I think that someone who thinks vandalizing
property is fun is NUTS!!

This is exactly what we do, share information. We share the information that
we don't like some things, and that we like some things. This is to know
what most people want, and that is the purpose of this NG, to find out what
should be implemented first.

You say that you behave like this at home? :-)

[View Quote]

rolu

Oct 16, 1998, 5:56am
Sure. That is what discussing things is about.

[View Quote]

scott d. miller

Oct 16, 1998, 8:32am
[View Quote] Yes, Hanta virus sounds right (I had forgotten the name). To the best of my
knowledge it is not house rodents that carry it (yet) but burrowing rodents. The
disease was first discovered in native Americans living in the area because they
spend so much time out in the desert areas where it first developed.

ScottyDM

--
Please send all SPAMS, FLAMES, and CONSPIRACY THEORIES to scottydm at cwia.com
Send all other IMPORTANT CORRESPONDENCE to scottydm at codenet.net