Introduction of real anonymous object. (object that anyone can move) (Wishlist)

Introduction of real anonymous object. (object that anyone can move) // Wishlist

1  |  

thierry nabeth

May 14, 1998, 4:03pm
Hello Roland.

Would it be possible to introduced objects that can be moved by
everybody ?
This would be interesting if we wanted to play soccers in active world.
(the ball is an object that can be moved by everybody).

Another idea would be the possibility to change the owner of an object.
This would be useful to introduce the concept of transaction in active
world.
(I know there exist a possibility, but I believe we would need something
more easy to use).

We could even imagine to introduce the idea of virtual money at some
point, and more generaly objects
that you can carry with you and exchange with other people.

No flame please about the idea in introducing commerce inside active
world.
I do not want to make money but more do research about ecommerce and
economics dynamics
in virtual worlds.
But comments are welcome :-).

Bye,

Thierry Nabeth
Research Fellow
INSEAD CALT
http://www.insead.fr/CALT/

eep²

May 15, 1998, 8:55am
Good luck. AW hasn't and can't develop this fast. There are MANY things that have been suggested and are even on a list of future improvements (dubbed The List™) that still aren't implemented yet. If you can provide COF with additional programmers or monetary support to hire additional programmers, perhaps AW will develop faster.

[View Quote] > Would it be possible to introduced objects that can be moved by
> everybody ?
> This would be interesting if we wanted to play soccers in active world.
> (the ball is an object that can be moved by everybody).
>
> Another idea would be the possibility to change the owner of an object.
> This would be useful to introduce the concept of transaction in active
> world.
> (I know there exist a possibility, but I believe we would need something
> more easy to use).
>
> We could even imagine to introduce the idea of virtual money at some
> point, and more generaly objects
> that you can carry with you and exchange with other people.
>
> No flame please about the idea in introducing commerce inside active
> world.
> I do not want to make money but more do research about ecommerce and
> economics dynamics
> in virtual worlds.

thierry nabeth

May 16, 1998, 7:27pm
We could imagine (if an open API/protocol is available) that third party=
would be ready to implement those ideas.
Those ideas may eventualy later be integrated in the main system.

I believe that Apple had such an approach.
We can enventually considere that Netscape with its pluggins had also som=
ething similar.
But those exemplesare not neccessary the better. (when you know that Appl=
e isstill in big trouble, and what happened to the
Netscape browser).
Anyway, I believe this is something a very common approach in the softwar=
e industry (and even in distribution): when you do
not have the resources, you try to let other do the job. The only thing t=
o watch is not to loose control.

Thierry

[View Quote] > Good luck. AW hasn't and can't develop this fast. There are MANY things=
that have been suggested and are even on a list of future improvements (=
dubbed The List=99) that still aren't implemented yet. If you can provide=
COF with additional programmers or monetary support to hire additional p=
rogrammers, perhaps AW will develop faster.
>
[View Quote]

eep²

May 17, 1998, 12:13am
[View Quote] > We could imagine (if an open API/protocol is available) that third party would be ready to implement those ideas.
> Those ideas may eventualy later be integrated in the main system.

Again, good luck. AW doesn't develop that fast, especially to allow third-party developers to code for it. The support alone COF would need to provide to them would be too much, since they can barely handle the support of AW to end-users. But, hey, we'll see, eh? <chuckle>

> I believe that Apple had such an approach.
> We can enventually considere that Netscape with its pluggins had also something similar.
> But those exemplesare not neccessary the better. (when you know that Apple isstill in big trouble, and what happened to the Netscape browser).

Yes, hopefully other people can code Communicator better than Netscape did. It's really pathetic how many bugs it has that Netscape allowed to remain and released.

> Anyway, I believe this is something a very common approach in the software industry (and even in distribution): when you do not have the resources, you try to let other do the job. The only thing to watch is not to loose control.

COF doesn't like to give up control, however. We'll see how long they last...

1  |  
Awportals.com is a privately held community resource website dedicated to Active Worlds.
Copyright (c) Mark Randall 2006 - 2021. All Rights Reserved.
Awportals.com   ·   ProLibraries Live   ·   Twitter   ·   LinkedIn