Thread

Ghosts (Bots)

Ghosts // Bots

1  |  

xelag

Apr 28, 2004, 12:25pm
This is the newest xelagot topic: Ghosts
http://www.imatowns.com/xelagot/xlgtopicghosts.html
It applies to all bots and browsers, so I make it generally available.

For particulars about xelagot, see What's New
http://www.imatowns.com/xelagot/xlgwhatsnew.html

Alex

jerme

Apr 28, 2004, 6:35pm
Maybe I should spill the beans... But during some chat with Will (999),
he mentioned a new linux world server that was a total rewrite of the
first, including support for MySQL. I'm not sure about any of the
details, or any estimated release date. He just said he had been working
on rewriting the server and that it supported MySQL.

-Jeremy



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner / Webmaster
JTech Web Systems
www.JTechWebSystems.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." -Mathew 5:34




[View Quote]

themask

Apr 28, 2004, 8:13pm
Man, you dont know how much that made happy, JerMe.

--

Signed,
TheMask

:: Owner of Delusional-Minds Hosting ::
Free world hosting.. Just a T-Gram will do it.

http://www.delusional-minds.com

[View Quote]

xelag

Apr 28, 2004, 8:50pm
I'm glad Linux is getting some attention. But your reply does not
address the point I made :)

Alex

[View Quote] >Maybe I should spill the beans... But during some chat with Will (999),
>he mentioned a new linux world server that was a total rewrite of the
>first, including support for MySQL. I'm not sure about any of the
>details, or any estimated release date. He just said he had been working
>on rewriting the server and that it supported MySQL.
>
>-Jeremy
>
>
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Jeremy Booker - Owner / Webmaster
>JTech Web Systems
>www.JTechWebSystems.com
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
>itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." -Mathew 5:34
>
>
>
>
[View Quote]

jerme

Apr 28, 2004, 10:24pm
dude... ease up a little... take a step down off the pedestal.

I had relevant information about the server...

It's being rewritten. Maybe they'll fix your ghost bug in the rewrite??

-J

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner / Webmaster
JTech Web Systems
www.JTechWebSystems.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." -Mathew 5:34




[View Quote]

xelag

Apr 29, 2004, 8:21am
A rather rude reply, jerme.

It was the wrong thread, that's all. Linux is a separate problem,
there's a lot written here about it and it deserves its own thread :)

Alex

[View Quote] >dude... ease up a little... take a step down off the pedestal.
>
>I had relevant information about the server...
>
>It's being rewritten. Maybe they'll fix your ghost bug in the rewrite??
>
>-J
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Jeremy Booker - Owner / Webmaster
>JTech Web Systems
>www.JTechWebSystems.com
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
>itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." -Mathew 5:34
>
>
>
>
[View Quote]

ep0ch

Apr 29, 2004, 10:23pm
Thanks Alex, I will work on adding a "ghost checking" system to my bot.
Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes with the information you've provided.

Cheers,
Ep0ch

[View Quote]

tony m

Apr 30, 2004, 12:28am
I'm not sure if you thought of it before, but bots are the only other entity which can be represented by your citizen number concurrently while you're logged in. So your second case does not consider any existing bots the citizen may be running in that world.

Just a thought -- maybe you do know about it, but chose to leave it out of your report.

[View Quote] > This is the newest xelagot topic: Ghosts
> http://www.imatowns.com/xelagot/xlgtopicghosts.html
> It applies to all bots and browsers, so I make it generally available.
>
> For particulars about xelagot, see What's New
> http://www.imatowns.com/xelagot/xlgwhatsnew.html

xelag

Apr 30, 2004, 1:58am
I did not chose to leave them out of my report, I mention bots
explicitely. Bots do not log in with a citizen number, they actually
log in with citizen privs. If you check world logs, you will see the
following when an entity logs in:

for tourists, a cit 0 and privs 0
for cits, a cit x and a priv y
for bots, a cit 0 and privs x

notice also that bots log in with the priv password.

In the SDK events, because AW did not at first mention privs, avatar
adds events for bots use the cit field for its privs, and of course so
do the bot user interfaces. It is inconsequent, but presents no
problems, as one can distinguish a cit from a bot by its name (the
famous [...] thingies)

I tried to keep it readable in the pages... for technical and
especially non-technical people. If you have a suggestion on how I
can rephrase it, welcome: xelag at 3dee.nl

Alex

On 29 Apr 2004 22:28:29 -0400, "tony m"
[View Quote] >I'm not sure if you thought of it before, but bots are the only other entity which can be represented by your citizen number concurrently while you're logged in. So your second case does not consider any existing bots the citizen may be running in that world.
>
>Just a thought -- maybe you do know about it, but chose to leave it out of your report.
>
[View Quote]

xelag

Apr 30, 2004, 2:12am
On 29 Apr 2004 20:23:38 -0400, "ep0ch" <deltawolf at deltawolf.com>
[View Quote] >Thanks Alex, I will work on adding a "ghost checking" system to my bot.
>Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes with the information you've provided.
>
>Cheers,
>Ep0ch

Oh it will... the fact is, unless this is solved at world server
level, we will not get a watertight solution. If you start analising
the case, you will see a few problems:

case 1: how do you distinguish the live from the ghost? how do you
make sure that when you get an avatar delete, you delete the ghost and
not the live (if both are present)? In fact, you need to have a
counter, counting up and down the number of adds and deletes per
session number... In these cases, the SDK also gets confused, and chat
does not propagate.

case 2 and 3: which session number is valid? the last one received,
or the previous one? Bots are mobile, and entities can come in and
out of reach. Since for the world server, both the ghost and the live
are real, you can get avatar add and avatar delete for both session
numbers.

Bots in global mode should be able to solve these problems easier, but
it's not a 5 minutes work, I've been at it for months :)

Alex

xelag

Apr 30, 2004, 2:36am
What I forgot to mention is that, in the very begining of the SDK, we
did not even get the citizen number in the avatar add and delete event
(and no privs of course) so you could not even know who owned a bot.
And you could not even know what citnum XelaG or E N Z O had, except
by querying the universe server for the citnum of a name.

This was for me the reason to introduce the xelagot greet. At least
xelagots could identify themselves and their owners to other xelagots.

It took a while for AW to realise the cit was important. Botmakers
from the start pointed out to AW that cit, privs and IP (for bots with
eject rights) should be sent to bots directly with the events
concerning entities entering a world... after a while, first cit and
then much later privs were added, IP is still a matter of querying the
world server. Seems that what AW itself does not need for its own
projects is of no concern: no vision in this sense, and certainly they
do not consult other programmers who do have some sort of experience
about all this.

Alex

[View Quote] >I did not chose to leave them out of my report, I mention bots
>explicitely. Bots do not log in with a citizen number, they actually
>log in with citizen privs. If you check world logs, you will see the
>following when an entity logs in:
>
>for tourists, a cit 0 and privs 0
>for cits, a cit x and a priv y
>for bots, a cit 0 and privs x
>
>notice also that bots log in with the priv password.
>
>In the SDK events, because AW did not at first mention privs, avatar
>adds events for bots use the cit field for its privs, and of course so
>do the bot user interfaces. It is inconsequent, but presents no
>problems, as one can distinguish a cit from a bot by its name (the
>famous [...] thingies)
>
>I tried to keep it readable in the pages... for technical and
>especially non-technical people. If you have a suggestion on how I
>can rephrase it, welcome: xelag at 3dee.nl
>
>Alex
>
>On 29 Apr 2004 22:28:29 -0400, "tony m"
[View Quote]

1  |  
Awportals.com is a privately held community resource website dedicated to Active Worlds.
Copyright (c) Mark Randall 2006 - 2022. All Rights Reserved.
Awportals.com   ·   ProLibraries Live   ·   Twitter   ·   LinkedIn