Magsbot classes // Bots

1  |

magine

Feb 28, 2003, 7:09am
Hi all...

I'm planning on teaching a Magsbot class in March, if I can get people
together. The last time I tried to have a bot class, it didn't do so
well because it wasn't very organized, I was just going to answer
questions; but this time I'm going to go about it in a more orderly way
with a lesson plan. It will be a number of two-hour sessions over
several weeks, but I haven't decided when yet. That's what I wanted to
ask here: when would be the best time for anyone who is interested? I'm
thinking perhaps twice a week for three or four weeks, on Monday or the
weekend...but tell me if there would be a better time for you. :)

Email me or post on the Turtleflight forum at
http://turtleflight.com/BBS.

thanks,
Magine

de de cyber mom

Feb 28, 2003, 4:59pm
Magine if you start for newbees todo this then i got 2 ppl signed up
including me
i started this 2 days ago and dont understand athing about it and want it
todo something really coolformy world

keep me posted will you ?

"magine" <magine at turtleflight.com> schreef in bericht
news:3E5F273F.5536B79A at turtleflight.com...
> Hi all...
>
> I'm planning on teaching a Magsbot class in March, if I can get people
> together. The last time I tried to have a bot class, it didn't do so
> well because it wasn't very organized, I was just going to answer
> questions; but this time I'm going to go about it in a more orderly way
> with a lesson plan. It will be a number of two-hour sessions over
> several weeks, but I haven't decided when yet. That's what I wanted to
> ask here: when would be the best time for anyone who is interested? I'm
> thinking perhaps twice a week for three or four weeks, on Monday or the
> weekend...but tell me if there would be a better time for you. :)
>
> Email me or post on the Turtleflight forum at
> http://turtleflight.com/BBS.
>
> thanks,
> Magine

john

Feb 28, 2003, 5:57pm
I will.... lol!

[View Quote]

gamecube

Feb 28, 2003, 7:41pm
I wanna sign up.. What programming languages are going to be used in the
teaching

-

jstone2004

Mar 1, 2003, 1:03am
heh, I don't think you understand... it's not a programming language being
taught, it's how to use the bot, and from my understanding, a little bit of
scripting, but not like C or Delphi :-)

Magsbot == C or near enough

jstone2004

Mar 2, 2003, 1:48am
heh, except she doesn't use any version of C?

lord fett

Mar 2, 2003, 7:12am
isn't her bot made with Delphi?

[View Quote]

magine

Mar 2, 2003, 9:10am
The class will be about using Magsbot, which has its own programming
language built-in. The language is sort of a cross between C and BASIC, but
it has numerous functions for controlling the bot. I don't consider it a
"scripting" language (although I sometimes refer to Magsbot programs as
scripts just because people familiar with bots will know what I mean)
because the code you enter in Magsbot is packed and tokenized when you edit
it, so it will execute faster when the program runs, and because the code is
contained in a GUI "behavior table" and custom buttons you create, instead
of being loaded in as a script. Magsbot is a kind of interpreter, like BASIC
or Java, but geared toward AW bots.

The advantages of using Magsbot instead of writing your program from scratch
in C or VB are:

* You don't have to "reinvent the wheel" creating the underlying framework.
Magsbot has hundreds of useful commands and functions already built-in.

* You don't even have to write a whole program. You can get Magsbot to do
useful things by adding only a few lines to the behavior table, in some
cases. (But if you want to write a complex program, that's possible too, as
you can see if you visit AWRPG.)

* Magsbot programs can be edited on-the-fly without having to recompile or
even restart, in most cases.

* Magsbot is free. :)

Magbot itself is written in Delphi (Object Pascal) but that isn't relevant
to the class. For the record though, I've been programming in C for about 18
years, but I prefer Delphi lately because I think the Delphi development
package is superior to MS Visual Studio, and I can't see anything you can do
with Visual Studio that you can't do with Delphi.

-Magine

[View Quote] > I wanna sign up.. What programming languages are going to be used in the
> teaching
>
> -

I mean the scripting >_<

williams348

Mar 3, 2003, 10:29pm
Add me to the list, I'm interested in joining the class too
:-)

Loose your IDE menus at random intervals...

magine

Mar 4, 2003, 9:30pm
Hi,

I'm posting this on the newsgroup and also sending it to anyone who has
expressed an interest in a class on Magsbot, or who I think might be
interested.

If you are interested (including people who already replied to me earlier)
then please visit the Turtleflight forum and choose which time is best for
you. I've listed three possibilities, and if everyone can make it, I might
start the class as soon as next week. I've also posted a class schedule if
there's any question about what the class will cover.

http://turtleflight.com/BBS/viewforum.php?f=15

(If you don't want to receive any more email about this class, let me know
and I'll take you off the mailing list.)

-Magine :)