Thread

can a bot be created using this program language? (Bots)

can a bot be created using this program language? // Bots

1  |

joeman

Nov 23, 2001, 12:47am
Do you mean, asm?

-Joe
(attachments bad, links good)

[View Quote]

data21

Nov 23, 2001, 1:13am
Sorry bout the attachment will remember to upload to my webspace next time
and put a link.

Im not sure what the name of this language is but I have used it before.
I know that with it you can make programs that communicate directly with the
processor.

LoL Yeah just what a bot needs to do :) blow up a computer chip. heh

Basically assembler can do everything, it is a direct
verbal version of machine language. you could even use
a 6502, Z80 or a microcontroller to create a bot, if
you can find out the protocols and implement TCP/IP.

This assembler didn't look like something you can run
on your PC, it could be from a 8-Bit CPU.

Leave your fingers from things like this if you want to
do anything in windoze, at least if you do not want to
invest half a year to create a "hello world" (for the
start).

[View Quote] --
"_

/\
\ /
__/ /_

metawraith

Nov 23, 2001, 4:07pm
Definitely an 8-bit CPU,
dont know which one off hand,
possibly one of the PIC series of micropressors

either way its not for writing bots in, let alone running on a PC

---

[View Quote] This assembler didn't look like something you can run
on your PC, it could be from a 8-Bit CPU.

Leave your fingers from things like this if you want to
do anything in windoze, at least if you do not want to
invest half a year to create a "hello world" (for the
start).

[View Quote] --
"_

/\
\ /
__/ /_

data21

Nov 23, 2001, 5:23pm
That's what I figured lol
Thanks for all the info :-)

sme

Nov 23, 2001, 10:13pm
[View Quote] Z80, huh? That'd be pretty awesome: me in my Calc class with a cable
stretching *all* the way back to my desktop from my TI-85, sending TCP/IP
packets on a male-to-male sound cable, controlling a bot in Activeworlds. I
hope I can play Tetris at the same time :o)

Be careful with assembler in Windows, data21...remember that there will
be a few runtime errors because Windows runs in Protected Mode. Also, be
sure to match the source with the correct ASM compiler (think NASM or MASM
or CHASM) because you are liable for a gigantic mess otherwise.

Good look! :o)

-Sme

These might help you find more machines that are
not first choice for bot programmers :

http://www.mess.org/
http://www.madhippy.com/8-bit/index.php
http://www.ti99.com/
http://www.c64.org/
http://www.zx-spectrum.com/
http://www.apple2.org/

[View Quote] --
"_

/\
\ /
__/ /_

goten362

Nov 24, 2001, 1:32pm
so were camake a bot with JS or Java or w/.e
[View Quote]

data21

Nov 29, 2001, 4:44pm
whets the best and easiest program language to learn on my own without going
to school for it?

VB I suppose... MS product, buy it in a shop. (VB = Visual Basic)

KAH
PS. it's "programming language" ;-))

C++ too.. may need to buy a book or two.

foxmccloud

Nov 29, 2001, 9:49pm
If you want to learn programming, start with Delphi/Pascal, and then you can
move on to C/C++... I wouldn't recommand VB because it will teach you bad
programming habits and you'll have to re-learn a lot. Delphi/Pascal FORCES
you to use good habits, and when you're getting good you can use C/C++ which
lets you do anything you want.

And if you don't want to be stuck with Microsoft, use Borland, and keep away
from DirectX ;)
Visual Basic only exists on MS-Windows... While Delphi has been ported to
Linux (it's called Kylix) and C/C++ has lots of compilers on Linux too. I
think Borland will be porting their C++ Builder soon too.

Plus, Borland compilers are FAR superior to Microsoft compilers in any
respect :)

Fox Mc Cloud

"data21" <dbmiller at kiski.net> a écrit dans le message news:
3c0681f2 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> whets the best and easiest program language to learn on my own without
going
> to school for it

grimble

Nov 30, 2001, 3:18am
There is one statement in that post that really irritates me (sorry) and I
hear it all too often. Bad programming habits are developed through lack of
preparation (i.e. time invested in learning correct methods) and laziness
.... not a language that fully supports comprehensive declarations but allows
certain shortcuts to be taken if the programmer so wishes (or by default if
people don't RTFM). I think its unfair to say that VB will teach a
programmer bad habits - often an argument levelled against VB - since in
reality it only allows lazy programmers to skip the basics of good method.

Mandatory declarations can be forced in VB, and a Variant, in some
instances, is a perfectly valid data type. If people approached programming
in Visual Basic in the same manner that they would approach programming in
C, C++, Pascal, Java, COBOL, etc. (and there is no reason why they
shouldn't) then there are no bad habits to "learn". In fact it is a high
productivity development language and when it comes to number crunching,
doesn't run too far behind C in terms of performance. Don't forget that
large corporations have implemented enterprise applications in Visual Basic
with excellent results. BTW - I'm not solely a VB programmer, so I'm not
sticking up for it out without knowing the alternatives.

Anyone out there who is looking for a startup language, don't be put off by
the bad press VB gets from programmers. Its an excellent start-up language
with a comparatively short learning curve. It has its limitations, but by
the time they become an issue you are easily ready for a more complex and
flexible language.

Grims

[View Quote]

baron

Nov 30, 2001, 7:39am
While I agree that it's up to the programmer to enforce self discipline to his/her code, I'm sure your experience has showed that a great ammount of applications written in VB are simply badly coded. Of course it's not the RAD to blame for these, you can't blame the gun for the kill even though some guns backfire more easily than others, it is the lack of education on the benefits of good code and on what is good code for that matter. To put it simply, VB allows too much and presumes a lot (first thing that comes to mind is the lack of explicit types since you mentioned variant, the implicit expression "11 10 88" is the same as the explicit #11/10/1988# when passed to a function that expects date, takes a lot of effort to enforce explicit types thus blocking bad user input), this can be good or bad, it's up to you.

I would also recommend VB to start with but with some conditions. You have to apply to yourself the discipline the RAD doesn't enforce, you have to know that your programs will work only under windows, you have to be prepared for a big surprise when you bump on VB limitations (win32 dlls for example) and you have to deal with other more strict languages. VB is a great tool but don't expect the tool to do the code for you even though it tries, if you allow it the result will not be good in most cases. Btw VB.NET is much more strict to its expressions, another good move for MS, it will be fun porting some of my early projects :)

-Baron

C++ ain't easyest lol

True but it's one of the most powerful languages that you can use to make
program ;).. it's the most portable too.

--Bowen--

foxmccloud

Dec 1, 2001, 1:01am
Well that's not really true. The most portable programming language out
there is Java, because it will work the same way on any computer that
supports it. It also looks like C++ a lot, but it is not a compiled
language, so it is much less powerful (in terms of execution speed) than
C++.

Fox Mc Cloud

"bowen" <bowen at omegauniverse.com> a écrit dans le message news:
3c07cd95 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> True but it's one of the most powerful languages that you can use to make
> program ;).. it's the most portable too.
>
> --Bowen--

LoL that's what I meant.. java tends to be slow :\

GUI programming in Java is a pain (Swing sucks)

And Bowen is right, most powerful is C/C++ and it is
most portable. HTML frontend and C/C++ backend can be
used on nearly all systems, much more reliable than
most Java installations.

This might change in some time and Java might win some
points, but I think until then Java isn't 1st choice.

But Data21 asked for an easy language, and I think that
portability doesn't count for him. A good first step
could sure be done with Borland Delphi. I don't know it
myself, but learned structured programming in Pascal.
Pascal and Delphi are close related, Delphi seems quite
powerful to me, not too complicated.

[View Quote] > Well that's not really true. The most portable programming language out=

> there is Java, because it will work the same way on any computer that
> supports it. It also looks like C++ a lot, but it is not a compiled
> language, so it is much less powerful (in terms of execution speed) tha=
> C++.
> =

> Fox Mc Cloud
> =