Thread

Survey (Sdk)

Survey // Sdk

1  |  

lady nighthawk

May 19, 2006, 11:23pm
1) What programming language do you program bots in?

2) What do you prefer to program in (in case they aren't they same answer)?

3) Why do you prefer to program bots in the language of your choice?
List pros and cons please!

Thanks :o}

Lady NightHawk

joeman

May 20, 2006, 1:42am
[View Quote] C

> 2) What do you prefer to program in (in case they aren't they same answer)?

anything .NET

> 3) Why do you prefer to program bots in the language of your choice?
> List pros and cons please!

C is nice and clean and procedural. I can write a program how I think
it should work, and it does, step by step, how I laid it out.

> Thanks :o}
>
> Lady NightHawk
>
>

-Joe

talisan

May 20, 2006, 1:53am
> 1) What programming language do you program bots in?
I have successfully compiled the demo bots provided by AWI using the
Microsoft C/C++ compiler... though I had little idea what I was doing :)

> 2) What do you prefer to program in (in case they aren't they same
> answer)?

I have no proper answer for this except to say that I was able to once
create a bot that could create objects in Alphaworld on my own land based in
part on the demo's previously mention and that I had demonic dreams, well
angelic actually(but it sounds better when you say demonic), to make this
bot randomly plant trees all over the expanse of the "alpha" world...
however, I feared being caught, so I didn't do it :P

> 3) Why do you prefer to program bots in the language of your choice?
> List pros and cons please!

Nada, no pros, no cons. I'm a very terrible programmer, but thought I would
add my own 2 cents regardless. :) However, it would seem to me, based on the
SDK that C/C++ would be the ideal language to program in. However, I was a
very enthusiastic Pascal programmer eons ago... there was almost nothing I
could not do. But, now that I am of advanced age, my brain can't seem to get
a proper angle on this new fangled C/C++ language, especially OOP.... ok...
so I am weak! :P I keep reading the books, hoping something will click
someday. :P

strike rapier

May 20, 2006, 2:23am
[View Quote] C / C++ / Visual Basic / C#

> 2) What do you prefer to program in (in case they aren't they same
> answer)?

C++

> 3) Why do you prefer to program bots in the language of your choice?
> List pros and cons please!

Because its the almighty powerful language.

grimble

May 20, 2006, 5:34am
1) What programming language do you program bots in?

In the past, C, C++ and VB. Now I've consolidated onto C#.

2) What do you prefer to program in (in case they aren't they same answer)?

C# - no contest.

3) Why do you prefer to program bots in the language of your choice? List
pros and cons please!

The Pro's for me personally are numerous (hey, its .NET!) - its a language
I've grown very comfortable with since VS2003Pro landed on my doormat two
years ago. I'm still working on .NET 1.1 for numerous reasons (no "killer"
need for .NET 2.0 being a key one at present) but the compatibility between
1.1 and 2.0 is good enough to make this not an issue. At the time it
represented a C++ derivative with the CLR (C++.NET didn't exist in 1.1). Now
I can do more, quicker in C# without digging into docs than I can in C++.

The Pro's for other people? A free quality development environment, quick to
learn, the CLR and a common platform for application, web, service, etc.
development and its easy to develop and share your own components.

Cons? Deployment to Windows platforms only. That's all I've got on Cons (not
that it bothers me!).

Grims.

byte

May 21, 2006, 9:49pm
[View Quote] > 2) What do you prefer to program in (in case they aren't they same answer)?
C#

> 3) Why do you prefer to program bots in the language of your choice?
> List pros and cons please!

For C++, I prefer it because of the speed, and the fact that it is
essentially the standard when it comes to writing native applications.
Only problem is it takes a lot more time to code up even the simplest
things.

For C#, I prefer it because of the ease of use, and the robust language
features it offers over Java. This is probably my *favorite* language.
The downside is that it's byte-code compiled, and interpreted at
runtime. This slows down certain things a bit, but it works for those
simple applications that you want to get done fast.

magine

May 31, 2006, 7:54pm
[View Quote] >1) What programming language do you program bots in?
>
>
Delphi (currently Delphi 7).

>2) What do you prefer to program in (in case they aren't they same answer)?
>
>
Delphi!

>3) Why do you prefer to program bots in the language of your choice?
> List pros and cons please!
>
>
You can create a nice GUI much more quickly and easily in Delphi than in
Visual Studio (at least the pre-.NET version of VS; I haven't used .NET
yet), but the language (Object Pascal) has the same power (classes,
inheritance, etc. all that good stuff) as C++. If you still use the
Windows API functions Delphi. I haven't done so personally, but it is
possible to compile for Linux also. Delphi 2005 and up support C++ and
C# as well as Object Pascal, if you prefer those languages, and there is
a .NET version if you dearly need to become a Slave of Bill. :D

As a long-time C programmer, before I was forced to use Delphi on a job
6 years ago, I too scoffed at it, believing the programmer prejudice
that said Delphi was a light-weight IDE suitable only for database work.
It definitely is not!

No, I'm not getting any kickback from Borland. :D

You can get a Delphi version of the AW SDK build 59 aw.h at
http://www.turtleflight.com/DL/mAWAPI.pas.

Of course, there's also Magsbot, it has a simple programming language
all its own. ;)

tmgares

Jun 16, 2006, 3:22am
"Lady NightHawk" <dmurtagh27 at hotmail.com> wrote

> 1) What programming language do you program bots in?
VB
>
> 2) What do you prefer to program in (in case they aren't they same
> answer)?
VB
>
> 3) Why do you prefer to program bots in the language of your choice?
> List pros and cons please!
I was brought up using basic and later on Visual Basic, have also tried C++
and i dont seem to get the hang of it.
//TmgAres
>
> Thanks :o}
>
> Lady NightHawk
>

1  |  
Awportals.com is a privately held community resource website dedicated to Active Worlds.
Copyright (c) Mark Randall 2006 - 2021. All Rights Reserved.
Awportals.com   ·   ProLibraries Live   ·   Twitter   ·   LinkedIn