Thread

Avatar location (Sdk)

Avatar location // Sdk

hey, i need a little help with getting an avatars location. i want to know
if there is anyway of finding an avatars location, without the need of
keeping a database which updates every time an avatar moves?

thanx :)
-SWE

milesteg

Jul 31, 2003, 11:39am
nope, that is only way , listenning to
avatar_change/avatar_add/avatar_delete events and storing these informations
in whatever you want .
Regards,
MilesTeg

"swe" <swe at swe-e.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
3f2918c3 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> hey, i need a little help with getting an avatars location. i want to know
> if there is anyway of finding an avatars location, without the need of
> keeping a database which updates every time an avatar moves?
>
> thanx :)
> -SWE

baron sweetman

Jul 31, 2003, 12:46pm
"swe" <swe at swe-e.com> wrote in news:3f2918c3 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> hey, i need a little help with getting an avatars location. i want to
> know if there is anyway of finding an avatars location, without the
> need of keeping a database which updates every time an avatar moves?
>
> thanx :)
> -SWE

you can store them in memory ofcourse

Isnt that basically... like keeping em in a database?

btw, anyone know how to get a newline in aw with the aw_whisper thing? :)
dont wanna make the poor bot keep on whispering to the same person, waste of
bandwidth and cpu and all :)

-SWE

[View Quote]

tony m

Jul 31, 2003, 6:41pm
C/C++: aw_whisper(12345, "one\ntwo\nthree");

Whether or not it allows that hasn't been tested [by me] yet.

It does :)

baron sweetman

Aug 1, 2003, 5:21am
"strike rapier" <strike at Rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in news:3f294e47
at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Isnt that basically... like keeping em in a database?
>
> - Mark

[View Quote] yes only without the database :)

baron sweetman

Aug 1, 2003, 5:23am
"swe" <swe at swe-e.com> wrote in news:3f2971dc at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> btw, anyone know how to get a newline in aw with the aw_whisper thing?
> :) dont wanna make the poor bot keep on whispering to the same person,
> waste of bandwidth and cpu and all :)
>
> -SWE

[View Quote] methinks it wastes almost the same bandwidth of you send 1 long message or
several short ones.

Database = Structured list of attributes pertaining to a certain item...
like a struct or class ;)

baron sweetman

Aug 1, 2003, 4:20pm
"strike rapier" <strike at Rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
news:3f2a9fba$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Database = Structured list of attributes pertaining to a certain
> item... like a struct or class ;)

Sorry my mistake i should have had my Oxford with me before answering you
instead of using the everyday interpretation of the word as in database, an
application which stores information permanently on a physical medium for
later retrieval :)

joeman

Aug 1, 2003, 5:14pm
There's six bytes of overhead in a aw_whisper message. So, considering \n
is two bytes, we can say that 4 bytes * number of lines that are being sent
is saved ;). But, we also have the limitation of maximum message size and
all that to take into account too :O.

-Joe

[View Quote]

baron sweetman

Aug 1, 2003, 5:45pm
"joeman" <joeman at bootdown.com> wrote in
news:3f2abc24$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> There's six bytes of overhead in a aw_whisper message. So,
> considering \n is two bytes, we can say that 4 bytes * number of lines
> that are being sent is saved ;). But, we also have the limitation of
> maximum message size and all that to take into account too :O.
>
> -Joe

That AFAIK being 255 bytes the overal savings are minute, so 'almost' as as
close to the reality as possible without getting into to much detail :)
But it does save on each line being preceded by the bots name which does
look nicer i must admit. It would be a good idea if the whole SDK where
overhauled taking modern pc's and bandwidth possibilities in mind. I've got
a slew of functions i would like to see the limits taken off or extended.
However viewing AW's present state is not likely to happen :( Maybe once
they will see the light and make it open source. They could leave out the
sensitive bits having to do with tunneling...

Petrossa

\n = 2 bytes??? In Hex? I thought
\n = 0x10 and \n\l or whatever the other 1 was was 0x10 and 0x0D

[View Quote]

baron sweetman

Aug 2, 2003, 5:03am
"strike rapier" <strike at Rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
news:3f2ae13b at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> \n = 2 bytes??? In Hex? I thought
> \n = 0x10 and \n\l or whatever the other 1 was was 0x10 and 0x0D

its \r \n for newline

Ahh, but this is the programming newsgroup ;)

baron sweetman

Aug 2, 2003, 8:19am
"strike rapier" <strike at Rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
news:3f2b8672$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Ahh, but this is the programming newsgroup ;)
>
> - Mark

strange i always thought it was the SDK newsgroup, another thing learned.
Tnx Mark

Hmmm. I always just used chr(10) without problem...

chr(10) and chr(13) for carridge return

baron sweetman

Aug 2, 2003, 10:30am
"strike rapier" <strike at Rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in news:3f2b9e82
at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Hmmm. I always just used chr(10) without problem...
>
> chr(10) and chr(13) for carridge return
>
> - Mark

[View Quote]

mr.visualbasic

Aug 2, 2003, 1:53pm
On what event do you want the bot to find the avatars location?

hmmmmm, the \r just gets anihalate when I try it.... only the \n remains.
Try pasting 10 and 13 dec chracters into the AW chat window, and then try
sending them though a bot.

baron sweetman

Aug 2, 2003, 6:59pm
"strike rapier" <strike at Rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
news:3f2bfcc9 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> hmmmmm, the \r just gets anihalate when I try it.... only the \n
> remains. Try pasting 10 and 13 dec chracters into the AW chat window,
> and then try sending them though a bot.
>
> - Mark

i am talking about using a bot ofcourse :). How the AW browser handles
special chars i am sure i dont know

The whole issue was you asking why 2 bytes where used for a newline as
Joe pointed out in response to my remark that the overhead of sending one
large message filled with newlines was almost the same as sending
seperate messages so the bandwidth waste would be of no concern.

In C, and i seem to remember the same goes for Basic (but dont hold me to
it the last time i really used Basic was somewhere in 1982)

The \r stands for carriage return (which is 0A (10))
The \n stands for new line (which is 0D (13))

So if you create a text, you need to insert \r\n in the sentence to get
it the go to a newline. The precompiler then translates the \r to hex 0A
and the \n to 0D

printf("mark\r\nthis is a new line");

ofcourse you can do:

printf("mark\x0A\x0Dthis is a new line");

however this is somewhat cumbersome i think :)

If you use only new line the cursor will stay where it was the last time
If you use only carriage return the cursor will just return to the
beginning of the line.

Hence you need the pair to specify a newline, cursor at the start

Us old guys might remember the time when we used a typewriter (you might
find one in a museum somewhere) where you needed to push a large lever
which ratcheted the roll a few clicks further while at the same time you
could move the whole carriage to the left.

Here the newline pair was born.

This translated into a teletype instruction, which in turn was the base
for this.

I hope this puts this to rest.....

Hmmm, i always use \n only in printf's

baron sweetman

Aug 2, 2003, 7:11pm
"strike rapier" <strike at Rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
news:3f2c2744 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Hmmm, i always use \n only in printf's
>
> - Mark

so then you know why there is 2 bytes overhead for a newline and not one

[View Quote] God, was that a pain in the ass. There, the paper-jam was born.

No of SETI units returned: 57
Processing time: 48 days, 5 hours.
(Total hours: 1157)
www.setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu

xelag

Aug 7, 2003, 3:22pm
On 2 Aug 2003 17:11:56 -0400, "baron sweetman"
[View Quote] >"strike rapier" <strike at Rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
>news:3f2c2744 at server1.Activeworlds.com:
>
>so then you know why there is 2 bytes overhead for a newline and not one

one byte: "\n" is one byte in binary, and that is what is sent. "\n"
is only an escape sequence representing one byte and only one byte...
one byte! :)

Alex

Thanks for clearing that up Alex, lol

baron sweetman

Aug 7, 2003, 3:40pm
"xelag" <xelag at digitalspace.com> wrote in
news:q525jvcq957dk69js24e8uil9kftmo56r2 at 4ax.com:

> On 2 Aug 2003 17:11:56 -0400, "baron sweetman"
[View Quote] \r \n sorry, 2 bytes

baron sweetman

Aug 7, 2003, 3:52pm
"baron sweetman" <petrossadeletethis at msn.com> wrote in
news:Xns93D0C6E6756BCpetrossa at 64.94.241.201:

one

> \r \n sorry, 2 bytes

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/crlf

We know... but try this:

aw_string_set(AW_CONSOLE_MESSAGE, "This is line one\nThis is line 2");
aw_console_msg(<you>);

aw_string_set(AW_CONSOLE_MESSAGE, "This is line one part 2\r\nThis is line 2
part 2");
aw_console_msg(<you>);

The \r is not really valildated, but both will print on 2 lines.