Trusted Sources // Sdk

1  |

weebo

Jul 24, 2003, 3:43pm
How would anybody (newbies and old timers) that came to AW environment know
the difference of the "trusted sources" unless the sources have been tested,
approved, and posted on a d/l site?

Weebo

john

Jul 24, 2003, 3:52pm
I know www.3d-reality.com is a trusted source (my site)

~John

www.imabot.com
www.imatowns.com
www.activeworlds.com
www.mauz.info
www.virtuallylearning.com
http://objects.activeworlds.com
www.aweduserve.org

Off top of my head

[View Quote]

john

Jul 24, 2003, 4:20pm
www.xeonworlds.co.uk

~John

:-/

my first shortcuts =p .lol

urs is great 2 of course :)

[View Quote] LoL, don't forget http://www.oct31.de/aw/ (below his war stuff).

No of SETI units returned: 44
Processing time: 36 days, 0 hours.
(Total hours: 864)
www.setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu

And what about http://andras.net ?
And XelaG's (sorry, I don't have it handy on this box)?
And ...

You have quite some work now that you have started this ;)

[View Quote]

builderz

Jul 24, 2003, 5:47pm
Here are a few more:

XelaG Bots
http://www.imatowns.com/xelagot

AW News
http://www.awnews.org/html/

3D Host
http://www.3dhost.net/

Magsbot
http://www.turtleflight.com/magine/mb.html

Builderz
http://www.3dhost.net

r i c h a r d

Jul 24, 2003, 5:55pm
I telegramed Calpantera about that he said he was thinking of the same thing

<TELEGRAM QUOTE>

Telegram from Calpantera, sent Wed Jul 23, 2003 18:58:

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe even having the installers created,
code signed and hosted by AW

</TELEGRAM QUOTE>

r i c h a r d

Jul 24, 2003, 5:57pm
Oh and john lay off smaping my site on AW www.xeonsoft.co.uk does aw related
bots and soon to host worlds. If ppl find Xw on there then fine but dont go
smapping a non related stuff spam for my bots if you have to.

hm, my "installer" is pksfx or unzip *g

[View Quote]

stecloud

Jul 24, 2003, 6:21pm
I could be wrong, but I thought Weebo's question was "how would newbies know
which is a trusted source or not, when first coming to AW. Its all very
good spewing loads of URLs you know are safe - but how did you discover they
were safe?

john

Jul 24, 2003, 6:37pm
By never ever having any trouble ;-)
[View Quote]

robbie

Jul 24, 2003, 7:22pm
How about:

http://ts.oriox.com
http://www.oriox.com/3d.html

Those are my AW Resources :)

-Robbie

[View Quote]

starfleet

Jul 24, 2003, 8:30pm
www.turtleflight.com

[View Quote]

ryan

Jul 24, 2003, 9:27pm
awcommunity.org

Ryan

"r i c h a r d" <richard.lazenby1 at ntlworld.com> wrote in
news:3f2039a3$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I telegramed Calpantera about that he said he was thinking of the same
> thing
>
> <TELEGRAM QUOTE>
>
> Telegram from Calpantera, sent Wed Jul 23, 2003 18:58:
>
> I was thinking the same thing. Maybe even having the installers
> created, code signed and hosted by AW
>
> </TELEGRAM QUOTE>

Ugh. That's rather paranoid if you ask me. The simple solution is educating
people not to open anything at all, as has happened here. And while we're
discussion trusted sources, that was just what our friend M a t t exploited
to distribute it, first take a few citizenships, then abusing the trust
others had in the stolen accounts to further distribute it.

Don't just accept a bot/application without even asking what it does
("toolkit for AW" tells a *lot*, doesn't it...), or without getting a demo.
If you do accept something and it seems suspisious to you, investigate it.
Look in your process list (under Win9x/ME you won't get access to all
processes through CTRL+ALT+DEL unfortunately), in your registry, etc. A
packet sniffer can be usefull too.

I doubt everyone is going to be willing to give out their sourcecode to
AWI, and what would it help to have it code signed and hosted by them if
it's really a trojan?

KAH

joeman

Jul 25, 2003, 10:35am
Really pimping your hosting, its on there twice ;D.

-Joe

[View Quote]

builderz

Jul 25, 2003, 12:38pm
If you'll read my other posts, you'll notice that my signature always
has my hosting URL on it. I just didn't take it out of my signature for
that post and it was listed twice. :)

Builderz
http://www.3dhost.net

[View Quote]

rossyboy

Jul 25, 2003, 1:13pm
Exactly. Plus it was very easy to see this was a trojan... this was no AW
utility site - there wasn't even an SITE for you to look at.

"kah" <kah at kahnews.cjb.net> wrote this
(news:Xns93C319AEA3C40kahatkahnewsdotcjbdo at 64.94.241.201) in
general.discussion on 25 Jul 2003:

> "r i c h a r d" <richard.lazenby1 at ntlworld.com> wrote in
> news:3f2039a3$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:
>

> Ugh. That's rather paranoid if you ask me. The simple solution is
> educating people not to open anything at all, as has happened here.
> And while we're discussion trusted sources, that was just what our
> friend M a t t exploited to distribute it, first take a few
> citizenships, then abusing the trust others had in the stolen accounts
> to further distribute it.
>
> Don't just accept a bot/application without even asking what it does
> ("toolkit for AW" tells a *lot*, doesn't it...), or without getting a
> demo. If you do accept something and it seems suspisious to you,
> investigate it. Look in your process list (under Win9x/ME you won't
> get access to all processes through CTRL+ALT+DEL unfortunately), in
> your registry, etc. A packet sniffer can be usefull too.
>
> I doubt everyone is going to be willing to give out their sourcecode
> to AWI, and what would it help to have it code signed and hosted by
> them if it's really a trojan?
>
> KAH

joeman

Jul 25, 2003, 2:21pm
Ah, well, you formatted the list just like your signature ;).

-Joe