Undocumented feature (midi notes) (Community)

Undocumented feature (midi notes) // Community

1  |

roadkill

Jun 7, 2006, 4:51am
If you look around in AWGate you might see a piano :D
It uses a new feature in 4.1 I can't really find any documentation for.
Here's an example command to make it work:
"activate midi instr=1 note=60"
Instrument #1 happens to be a piano and note #60 is C4.
The command can be made global with the global flag.
There's a handy guide to which note numbers correspond to keyboard keys
at Wikipedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:NoteNamesFrequenciesAndMidiNumbers.svg).

You'll have to explore the instrument numbers for yourself ;)

roadkill

Jun 7, 2006, 5:16am
[View Quote] Okay, I guess you don't have to explore them yourself :P
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_MIDI#Melodic_sounds)

Additionally, it seems there's a time= flag that affects the note length
and seems to be in milliseconds.

baro

Jun 7, 2006, 5:23am
Well shit, that's pretty cool actually. I hope, nay demand, to see some
creative uses!

baro

Jun 7, 2006, 5:31am
Wow, there's a lot of sound effects and such in there. Great for button
clicks and elevator dings!

How do the note numbers correspond to actual notes? Any way to get it
play a song without a ridiculously complex astart adone thing?

roadkill

Jun 7, 2006, 5:31am
[View Quote] Yes, it's called playing a midi :P

roadkill

Jun 7, 2006, 6:50am
[View Quote] Chrispeg informs me that the complete list of arguments for midi is:
instr= note= vol= time= chorus= reverb= drumkit omni reset global

sw comit

Jun 7, 2006, 7:26am
Playable piano now on display at AW 2200s 3613e. It's a more-lifesize piano,
not a giant one. Also you have the option to lock out the piano for 2
minutes so only you can play it globally. This prevents people from
interrupting. First design model anyway, I'll keep tinkering with it ;)

- Com

[View Quote]

ciena

Jun 7, 2006, 9:08am
There is a piano in america at the ammusement park also. we also have bumper
car and lazy river ride done with v4 features. We r still working on other
rides
[View Quote] news:4486778b at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> If you look around in AWGate you might see a piano :D
> It uses a new feature in 4.1 I can't really find any documentation for.
> Here's an example command to make it work:
> "activate midi instr=1 note=60"
> Instrument #1 happens to be a piano and note #60 is C4.
> The command can be made global with the global flag.
> There's a handy guide to which note numbers correspond to keyboard keys at
> Wikipedia
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:NoteNamesFrequenciesAndMidiNumbers.svg).
>
> You'll have to explore the instrument numbers for yourself ;)

ciena

Jun 7, 2006, 9:12am
we will also have an organ and drums u can play.
[View Quote]

ciena

Jun 7, 2006, 9:14am
LOL no it.s not hehe :)
[View Quote]

rossyfox o

Jun 7, 2006, 11:10am
Yeah, but remember MIDIs do not sound the same on every system. It all
depends on the MIDI drivers.

[View Quote] Actually, when we programmed it we set it to use the microsoft synth
emulator, which should sound the same.

--
- Mark Randall
http://www.temporal-solutions.co.uk

"We're Systems and Networks..."
"It's our job to know..."

martin martin_at_activeworlds.com

Jun 7, 2006, 12:18pm
Someone needs to figure out the MIDI sequence for the Close Encounters of
the Third Kind routine ;-)

[View Quote]

kenneth

Jun 7, 2006, 3:28pm
That's pretty sweet, thanks. I might setup a few instruments for people to
mess around with in my worlds sometime.

-Kenneth

[View Quote]

sw comit

Jun 7, 2006, 3:56pm
o_O?

[View Quote]

sw comit

Jun 7, 2006, 10:47pm
There's an instrument directory here:
http://chuckbrown.com/pages/generalmidi.html

kenneth

Jun 8, 2006, 3:44pm
I tried putting a sequence into 1 object using the create animate me stone3.
1 1 600 between each midi note but of course I only had room for about 3
notes and it only worked with 2 notes for some reason. Having 3, it kept
doing ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding forever. I wonder if
there is a way to make a sequence on a few objects but have them all in the
exact order to play 1 song. I don't think there is, making an object
invisible has nothing to do with the sound from that object. I wish they
would have added a wait= command in there.

-Kenneth

[View Quote]

sw comit

Jun 8, 2006, 4:08pm
It's possible. You just have to make a big long AAA sequence. Would take
forever :P

[View Quote]

wolvie

Jun 9, 2006, 8:09pm
Any more info on midi commands please? Explanations of effects, range of
numbers for each flag command, and how do I access the percussion
instruments?
[View Quote]

ciena

Jun 9, 2006, 11:37pm
this is middle C note.... create color white;activate midi instr=1 note=60
global C# would be ... create color 0;activate midi instr=1 note=61 global
u can number them higher and lower for the rest of the notes. We have a 7
octave piano in america at the amusement park at 33.18N 40.20E -0.08a 0 u
can look at that one for reference. u can add more notes than what we have
but 7 octaves is sufficiant. we also have bumper car rides and a lazy river
ride and bikes and a shooting gallery. and a midway. its still in
construction buts that what we have so far.
[View Quote]

mauz

Jun 10, 2006, 10:00am
[View Quote] - reset : resets and stops the midi note player
- drumkit : percussion; drums, cymbals, snares etc. Notes 35 to 82? Does not need instr nor time
- instr= : General MIDI instrument. 1 (default) to 128
- note= : pitch. 0 (default) to 127, the middle C is 60
- vol= : volume. 0 to 100 (highest, default)
- time= : how long the note is played. 0 to 10000 (10 seconds), default 2000
- global : heard by all users who see the player object
- omni : the note plays alone, stops other notes of the same instrument
- reverb= : echo effect, on or off
- chorus= : multisound effect, on or off. (I can't really tell this apart from reverb though...)
- mod= : modulation; vibrating effect, on or off.

--
Mauz
http://mauz.info

wolvie

Jun 10, 2006, 3:30pm
Thank you Mauz, exactly what I was looking for.

*Votes for Mauz to write the AW userguide*

[View Quote]

mauz

Jun 10, 2006, 3:39pm
[View Quote] :p They already had comprehensive Midi Note Player documentation during beta,
the usual help page style, guess they'll put it up on the website at some point.

--
Mauz
http://mauz.info