Thread

VC++ GUI's (Sdk)

VC++ GUI's // Sdk

Hi Folks,
Im currently moving on from the world of simplistic VB to amazingly difficult C++, using VS6 VC++. There were several reasons I started with VB, mainly because it was the only thing I could get, and secondly because it only takes minutes rather than hours to come up with visually spectacular GUI's for programs that well.. require visually spectacular GUI's.

So far im playing about with Console Apps etc but I cant find a darn thing about how to start off with the Object Orientated Programming, hence I would anyone happen to know if there is a way of creating forms like in VB or am I doomed to a life of writing out 50 lines of code and a billion resource strings just to create decent GUI's?

Feel free to explain to me if u can and have the time, or in the ye age old method of AWTeen core here are a few defaults.
1) Yes, making GUIs is easy in VC++
2) Your dillusional if you think its that easy
3) Kinda, but your not going to like it
4) Only a billion resource strings? Ha! A trillion would be more apropriate

- Mark
(I was only messing about with the defaults, feel free to ignore them)

kristy8963147

Aug 14, 2002, 8:42pm
Once you create a empty WIN32 project goto Insert > Resource. Then you can
add a dialog.

[View Quote]

deconstructor

Aug 15, 2002, 3:49am
MFC, MFC, MFC--or you can create it using raw Win32 API code, which is
pretty nuts--it takes quite a lot of lines of code just to make a blank
window, and to actually make it do something useful... o_o

I am personally using VS .NET, however VS6 doesn't work too differntly
if I remember correctly. Just make a new MFC app--set the settings to a
Dialog application, this is about all you need for a simplistic 1-page GUI
such as the settings for an AW bot. Visual Studio does most of the grunt
work for you when you create buttons and such; MFC is pretty much totally
object oriented, which you can be sure you will be using a lot in C++ :)
For example, when I create a button on my IDD_AWBOTBASE_DIALOG resource with
an ID of IDC_CONNECT (each item should have a unique ID), MFC will
automatically create the appropriate functions:

void CAWBotBaseDlg::OnBnClickedConnect()

etc., etc.--of course this is only for a simplistic GUI of buttons, radio
controls, etc.--to get anything somewhat advanced takes more work and
knowlegde of MFC. I recommend getting a good book on it or reading some
things on the internet about it to give you a basic idea of the workings of
it.

Also, if you do not like Microsoft standards such as MFC, (some people seem
to think that it adds a bunch of useless classes) there are several
alternatives that are probably simpler--I do not know of any offhand, but
someone else might know of some?

Object-oriented power to the max :)

Deconstructor

deconstructor

Aug 15, 2002, 3:50am
Actually, here's a fairly popular alternative that just crossed my
mind--good for crossplatform development, especially for games and other
mutlimedia apps:

www.libsdl.org

Deconstructor

chazrad

Nov 11, 2002, 4:34pm
dont use VC6 it is really for professionals. use BCB it's much more
userfriendly and you can build a gui in seconds

Chazrad
"strike rapier" <strike at rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
news:3d5ab170 at server1.Activeworlds.com: