Grand Theft Auto Project (Community)

Grand Theft Auto Project // Community

1  2  3  |

equin0x

May 18, 2006, 5:27am
Greetings,

We are currently working on a project in AW which is pretty much a Grand
Theft Auto - orientated world.

I thought it would be good to let the community know what we are doing so
far, and what our goals are.

My [currently small] team consisting of RoxRox, Darkel and myself have built
a small testing area in RoxLand, which so far includes quite a few cutom
objects, as well as many well-recognized GTA models.

RoxRox has set up a few xelagot bots to mimic some AI, until we work on our
own bots, which will come at a later stage.

What we aim to do is create a modern city with a great deal of playability.

Although we are still planning the future of the project as we go along.

We are developing the world openly, so all are welcome to drop by and visit
us in RoxLand world.

Before I let you all comment and criticize alike, I do have a video of what
we do have in the works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVoFq8uuoQw

elyk

May 18, 2006, 5:44am
looks neat -- nice work!

[View Quote]

sw comit

May 18, 2006, 5:57am
Lookin' good, good video demo ^_^
Might have to come check that out...

[View Quote]

syntax

May 18, 2006, 7:12am
Rox loves teh bloom effect ;D
--
Syntax | www.swcity.net

[View Quote] > Before I let you all comment and criticize alike, I do have a video of
> what we do have in the works.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVoFq8uuoQw

baro

May 18, 2006, 7:28am
Playability?

equin0x

May 18, 2006, 7:59am
Thanks for the positive reply all. And yes, Rox does love the bloom effect a
little too much.

Playability is what we aim to accomplish, giving the user - well, something
to play, rather than exploring.

We do have plans on how this will work.

[View Quote]

pc hard

May 18, 2006, 8:49am
Looks and sounds great ;o))

--

Sincerely,

Daniel André Johansen
E-mail: pchard at gmail.com
"equin0x" <xeroer at gmail.com> skrev i melding
news:446c4598 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Thanks for the positive reply all. And yes, Rox does love the bloom effect
> a little too much.
>
> Playability is what we aim to accomplish, giving the user - well,
> something to play, rather than exploring.
>
> We do have plans on how this will work.

[View Quote]

simplaza.net

May 18, 2006, 9:51am
Are we able to modify the cache and reveal a hidden sex scene?

<3 at the progress, looks grand

[View Quote] >Greetings,

>We are currently working on a project in AW which is pretty much a Grand
>Theft Auto - orientated world.
>
>I thought it would be good to let the community know what we are doing so
>far, and what our goals are.
>
>My [currently small] team consisting of RoxRox, Darkel and myself have built
>a small testing area in RoxLand, which so far includes quite a few cutom
>objects, as well as many well-recognized GTA models.
>
>RoxRox has set up a few xelagot bots to mimic some AI, until we work on our
>own bots, which will come at a later stage.
>
>What we aim to do is create a modern city with a great deal of playability.
>
>Although we are still planning the future of the project as we go along.
>
>We are developing the world openly, so all are welcome to drop by and visit
>us in RoxLand world.
>
>Before I let you all comment and criticize alike, I do have a video of what
>we do have in the works.
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVoFq8uuoQw

equin0x

May 18, 2006, 10:43am
Now, now.. give it until at least beta before hunting them out. :)

Looking nice. anyway,
not too sure, but i think he was asking about like, the playability
features? if he wasn't, i am anyway.
So, will it be just like GTA, where you go around beating people up,
shooting people, and such? or will it be more multiplayer based, teams,
gangs, and controlling turf type stuff?

-SWE

[View Quote]

equin0x

May 18, 2006, 11:41am
Yes, the problem with explaining the playability is that we are still
working on it.. We can't say postively what type of playability there will.

We want to keep it as graphic as possible, and steer away from the
text-based system used in other worlds like AWRPG. This is particularly hard
with AW.

Any ideas for the project, including how you would like to see the final
product playable, are all greatly appreciated. You can either reply to these
posts or telegram me.

The same goes for anyone who wishes to help the project in some way.

Sorry I cannot answer your question too well at this time, SWE. I'll keep
everyone updated at the project gets more in-depth.

Thanks,
Equin0x

[View Quote]

sweets

May 18, 2006, 3:10pm
kill cops...and chop up people....is a horrible game..

so was looking for ratings...seems they have put the equivalentn to an X
rating on it now because of hidden content

but it is normally an M rating...equivalent to R here

so you cannot make that world for under R (17+).....and copyright I think
you do not even have right to do this here or use that name in any way.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/gta4/news.html?sid=6129500

I, for one, hope this game NEVER comes to AW

sweets

baro

May 18, 2006, 4:31pm
Sounds like for the most part it's just them 'borrowing' the textures
and some objects from the game and trying to come up with some sort of
gameplay of their own to go with it. The first part should be easy
since they both use renderware.

I'm just really hoping they do a good job on the world, rather than it
looking like someone's alpha world town with some better textures.
Could be AW's nicest most realistic contemporary city world!

[View Quote] Content that you had to literally hack the application to get at mind you.

A GTA in AW would be brilliant O_O

--
- Mark Randall
http://www.temporal-solutions.co.uk

"We're Systems and Networks..."
"It's our job to know..."

baro

May 18, 2006, 4:50pm
Anything better than the "games" we have now.

If you could have non-tedious gameplay OR a world that doesn't look like
shit, even just ONE of those, you'd be ahead of the pack. Go for it!
You guys can do it!

[View Quote]

simplaza.net

May 18, 2006, 5:08pm
I was expecting the typical concerned mother bitch post

This comes close enough.

[View Quote] >kill cops...and chop up people....is a horrible game..

>so was looking for ratings...seems they have put the equivalentn to an X
>rating on it now because of hidden content
>
>but it is normally an M rating...equivalent to R here
>
>so you cannot make that world for under R (17+).....and copyright I think
>you do not even have right to do this here or use that name in any way.
>
>http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/gta4/news.html?sid=6129500
>
>I, for one, hope this game NEVER comes to AW
>
>sweets

baro

May 18, 2006, 5:19pm
I think SOMEONE is forgetting to THINK ABOUT TEH CHILDRN!!!

sweets

May 18, 2006, 5:25pm
'concerned mother bitch post'....first of all I am not a mother....second of
all I own an X world and have 'rating issues' of my own. Thirdly it has
nothing to do with children, it has to do with right and wrong. To me
getting points for killing a police officer is just plain wrong. Dragging
woman out of her car and shotting her a couple dozen times is just plain
wrong. I have less trouble with sex than I do with violence of this kind.
And yet I adore horror films. All I am saying is you better be sure of the
ratings you chose for this 'game' and maybe think as you make it 'Is it
morally wrong to allow some things as a "child's game"'

This is not some mother bitching....This is someone saying that a Game that
encourages killing Police....or other people....is just not something AW
stands for under an R rating (yes including many PG worlds that have these
types of games already)...Although some would like to see the GK's in that
role of police officer LOL, it is still wrong to make the bad guy the good
guy if you know what I mean.

sweets

baro

May 18, 2006, 5:57pm
you don't get points for killing people in GTA. There are no points.

In fact, killing cops gets you in trouble, usually leading to a firey
car chase and your death, or subsequent arrest.

Just because you CAN do something in a game doesn't mean that's the
focus of the game.

The things you are suposed to do in those games generally center around
you exposing corrupt cops, taking down terrible criminals, fighting the mob.

You don't have to kill any innocent people in the entire game. Players
doing all those things you described and rail again aren't doing so
because it's what you're suposed to do, they are doing it on their own
accord because they think its fun, even if it hurts them in the game.

it's simply a game where you can do anything you want. You can drive
around safely helping the police if you want. Any 'evil' in the game is
directly chosen by the player.

sweets

May 18, 2006, 6:15pm
"Any 'evil' in the game is directly chosen by the player."

and THAT is why it is rated M or AO....R or X,,,,,the 'evil', as you call
it, is available as part of the game.

sweets

sweets

May 18, 2006, 6:18pm
Hell, when the woman is down, after you shot her, you can stomp her head so
the puddle of blood gets bigger....LMAO for under 17?....

sweets

equin0x

May 18, 2006, 6:35pm
I appreciate the feedback.

Of course you must remember that Active Worlds is limited with its game-like
ability and thus, if we wanted to, would have a diificult time adding in
features as violent as Sweets highlights.

I do share some of your views on violent video games, but I believe as long
as they're in the right hands, the mature gamers, then everything is fine.

No one will play a GTA game and then go kill someone, if they did not
originally have the intent to kill them anyway.

As some games do belong in the proper mature gamers' collection, rather than
sitting next to Elmo and Big Bird, it is not my role to monitor the game,
unless it was my own release.

I personally have no problem with Grand Theft Auto, and I even am studying
to be in the NSW Police.

I'll conclude by saying whatever track we take with the project, it will be
carefully thought out.

Infinate Health Cheat + Infinate Ammo Cheat + Machine Gun + Sticky tape over
the 'fire' and 'rotate' buttons + 1 week holiday to spain...

Now thats how you rack up kills.

--
- Mark Randall
http://www.temporal-solutions.co.uk

"We're Systems and Networks..."
"It's our job to know..."

[View Quote]

sweets

May 18, 2006, 7:59pm
"Some points can be earned by committing various crimes, such as ramming
cars (10 points each), and killing policemen (1000 each). The more serious
the crime, the more points, but also the more the police will pay attention
to the player. Another way to make money is to steal cars, and sell them at
the many docks around each city, usually earning several thousand points."

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=fg8djf4r66rba?dsname=Wikipedia&dekey=Grand+Theft+Auto+%28video+game%29&sbid=lc04b&linktext=Grand%20Theft%20Auto

1,000 points for a cop....

you stand corrected.

sweets

thats the original one, and second 1 only. you can no longer even sell cars,
and everything now is based on money, not points.
But anyway, don't mean to turn this into an insult america post, which it
isn't ment to be, but violence in video games isn't the cause for children
to go out shooting up schools or killing random people. that stuff only
happens in america, and can only be put down to 2 things, either fucked up
parenting, or a fucked up society, not video games.

-SWE

[View Quote]

equin0x

May 18, 2006, 8:11pm
That is the old, old 2D GTA that can date back as far as almost ten years
ago.

From 2001, GTA has been a very different game in that sense.

[View Quote]

baro

May 18, 2006, 8:33pm
Yeah, the two origional ones were little indy PC games that had little
to do with the modern ones, other than the concept of driving around and
stealing cars.

It's 3 4 and 5 that are considered the "real" ones. the true 3d ones
that were on playstation 2, those are the hugely popular and well known
ones.

The first two's graphics were so primitive you couldn't even tell what
was happening. Many don't even know the PC ones even existed.

sweets

May 18, 2006, 9:26pm
the one I spent a summer watching, but not playing, was San Andreas....and
no way in hell is that for under 17....that is all I am saying

sweets

[View Quote] In your opinion.

Most 17 year olds dissagree.

--
- Mark Randall
http://www.temporal-solutions.co.uk

"We're Systems and Networks..."
"It's our job to know..."

ya, i remember being 17, and i was well more then mature enough to handle
playing a game with that much violence.
hell, my 9 year old sister is mature enough for GTA (appart from sex scenes
i guess), and i would have no problem with her playing such games either.
then, i also have a bro who just turned 16, and he's pretty much the one
who's been buying the GTA games sicne GTA 3. and he didn't turn out to be a
serial killer.
fact is, as i said before, it's not games, it's parenting.

-SWE

[View Quote]

1  2  3  |