Depressing ;) (Community)

Depressing ;) // Community

1  |

syntax

May 12, 2006, 2:48am
http://www.swcity.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=5193.0

Check that out. Hope 4.1 helps. :P
--
Syntax | www.swcity.net

talisan

May 12, 2006, 3:06am
Oh hush up! That's not depressing at all! That's AWI's long term plan... I
mean, they are gearing up for a super huge major release... late in
coming... but that's their idea of the anticipation factor! Once they
release 4.1 or whatever they call it, everyone who left will come back, and
bring 4 friends with them. That chart will need to be twice as high and
outscope anything in the beginning.

Positive thinking ;p

baro

May 12, 2006, 3:46am
Looks like from the raw numbers and math, the pricing change is making
them less money.

Then again there's less load on the server. That would need to be
factored in to see if this was a good plan or not. Even if it comes out
even or close to even, it would be better to have more people.

Well, awi is a business. I'm sure they know these numbers and math
quite well, and I'm sure they'll lower their prices if they have come to
the same conclusion as we have. Hey, maybe come 4.1 they'll go back to
$20 a year since it seems it would make them more money anyways!

sw comit

May 12, 2006, 7:13am
Won't do them any good without a solid marketting plan. Make that ANY
marketting plan. Its been 100% word-of-mouth for a good 6 years now :P

- Com

[View Quote]

equin0x

May 12, 2006, 10:38am
As much as that sucks, and as much as 4.1 will be a major release, I doubt
it will get *that* many new registrations.. It is essientially AW, no matter
what version it is.. To make it comparable with any other favourable 3D
chat, would mean a new 3D engine, and pretty much a new AW all together.

What we have now, is AW.. what we have in 4.1, is AW. If little pay for it
now, not many more will pay for it with the upgrade.

I don't know how to explain it in normal terms, but I guess I mean that a
high percentile of new-citizens have little to no expierence in the features
that most would think they'd join for. What that means is, to know how good
AW is, they need to pay for it at least once.. Likewise with 4.1.

The only way to save AW would be for AWI to play their cards properly and
salvage what they can, which with some projects (little of it being 4.1), is
what they are doing.

Keep in mind though, a lot of damage has been done already.

[View Quote]

equin0x

May 12, 2006, 10:42am
Have to add more onto that (sorry, I love to argue over this stuff) --

In IT communications & e-commerce class, it teaches that it takes 80% of the
pay from the business to obtain new customers.

It is taught to all aspiring CEOs and business owners that they should
always invest in keeping their existing customers.

For example, you goto a barber, they will do your hair amazingly well the
first time.. after several visits, they lack their great performance.. What
happens? You change barbers.

Thanks for listening to my complaining.. Bad thing the people who need the
advice will never read it.

talisan

May 12, 2006, 1:27pm
btw, didn't there used to be a banner ad campaign for aw? Did I dream that?
I also recall quite some time ago that there was a page on the aw site with
some banner ads you could use for your own website? Did I dream that too?
Just curious.

tart sugar

May 12, 2006, 1:32pm
AW had a deal with Juno.com for email subscribers about 5 yrs ago.
That's how I found AW.

not neccassarily, because we don't know how many exisiting cits had renewed
after the price hike, and how many left because of the cost.

-SWE

[View Quote]

equin0x

May 12, 2006, 10:02pm
I'm pretty certain that something like this did happen.
Otherwise, those dreams are pretty contagious.

[View Quote]

magneto

May 19, 2006, 8:40am
You don't have neither idea of social psychology, talisan. Once people have
left, it is much more difficult to recover it. It is the same thing that
that client that leaves a fruit stand because they give him rotten apples.
Do you really believe that when aw takes out its new version those that were
disappointed will return??

news:446417e8$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...