CY nominations SOON! (Community)

CY nominations SOON! // Community

would never work.
The reason Movies and Games can be rated by a committee is because they give
them the final product, and though they can take things away from it later
on, they aren't allowed to add anything (well, i believe they're not allowed
to add anything not pg). Don't remember how it worked exactly, but was
something like that.
In the case of AW, worlds are ever changing, so something can be PG rate
worthy one day, and X the next.
As for how you can tell, i believe that you can download a bunch of movie
guidelines, don't remember how it works exactly, but you're allowed a
certain number of things overall, depending on the rating, and if you have
too much, say, blood, you'd get bumped up to the next level. Remember
something about Blade 2, where they had to cut off a few scenes of someone
smoking a joint so that they wouldn't be bumped up a level. Just look up the
guidelines anyway.

But that brings about another point, is rating really that big a deal? Just
rate it as whatever you want, and if anyone has a problem, they're free to
leave, it is after all your world, why give a shit about other people being
offended?

-SWE

[View Quote]

ciena

May 10, 2006, 2:32pm
Not neccessarily. How do u know whats good if u havent looked around. U
really wanna see "good" ? take a look at some of these other awesome worlds.
And I can name several. "SWE" <swe at swehli.com> wrote in
message news:446210e4$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
>I agree, sure it's a popularity contest, but things get popular because
>they're good.
> it might not be perfect,but you can be sure that whatever wins will most
> probably be one of the best.
>
> -SWE

sweets

May 10, 2006, 2:35pm
because if they are offended....and enough complaints are made....your world
can be wiped out 'without notice'....that part of the guidelines is a bit
scary when you have worked on a world for 5 or 6 years and are not really
sure what rating you are.....what I think is X you may find is XXX...and
what you think is PG I may think it as X....LOL etc....I see nothing wrong
with the human body...unless it is bleeding heavily LMAO

sweets

alphabit phalpha

May 10, 2006, 2:42pm
Might I make a suggestion?
If you have a friend IRL who has children, ask them to come over and look at
what is in your world both visually, sequences, and text chat and ask them
if they feel it would be appropriate for their children.
You might also want to do a search for a site that lists an explanation of
the ratings. I used to have it. Anyone else out there have the link?

<snip>

Well, most people do world hope, and lots join other people, so quite often
people get around and see worlds.
I can also name several good worlds, which is my point exactly, most good
worlds get a lot of visitors.

-SWE

[View Quote]

sweets

May 10, 2006, 3:11pm
my best friend and co-owner of Taurius...her daughter has been looking over
our shoulders since the age of 13, loving our builds and not caring much
about the 'nudes and etc'....She was permitted to visit but NEVER to talk to
anyone or use the computer for any reason....because we do not believe in
children being on internet. They just do not understand their mortality.

She is now 19....a beautiful well adjusted girl who is still interested in
mine and her mother's work....

Ratings did not ever mean much to her, as the only rule was she had to be
over 18 to even be on a computer unless with us at Taurius. I gave her a
computer for her 18th birthday LOL but she rarely uses it.....she is very
popular, outgoing, loyal to her man....

I like to think that our protective rules and yet our openess on ALL
subjects (rule is if they ask they deserve a proper answer) made her the
great Adult that she is now. Yes I speak with pride. We almost lost her at
13 to a pedophile at a chat room, a girl we had always trusted and was only
permitted to 'chat' with her school friends. Was only through spying in her
email and chat logs, huge discussions about 'men' and then laying down the
law that she was both protected and warned. She was permitted to Taurius
after that, watched over, not permitted to talk to any but her mother or me
and although my friend wanted to 'trust' her, she put on the filters and
passwords and a few other things so the computer would not even turn on if
she was not there.

So what you think may be appropriate for your children may not be the same
as what we think is apppropriate is appropriate for ours.

sweets

tengel

May 10, 2006, 3:12pm
Well this gives answer for the most of the rating out there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rating

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

May 10, 2006, 3:30pm
That's my point.
Some parents might get upset if their child visited an adult rated world,
and then someone could end up in that ugly world of sue happy people.
It is just way to risky to take chances these days.
Bottom line though is that organizations and families need to be responsible
for our children.
<snip>

alphabit phalpha

May 10, 2006, 3:31pm
Thank you Tengel:)

sweets

May 10, 2006, 3:42pm
I have read just about every page possible on ratings and it has done
nothing more than inform me to confuse me LOL

There are film industry ratings, which AW seems to follow, but the line
between PG13, R and X is so confusing as to need a 'panel of judges' at the
film industry to figure it out. It is not done on a self-rating basis. And
even then there is the fact of changing times. Midnight Cowboy won Academy
Award for 1969 as an X rated movie....it was reduced in 1988 to R....As was
said by someone else here, our worlds change too much too fast for AW to
have anyone decide for us what rating we should be. Not only do times
change, we add on (and on and on and on).

there are internet game ratings, based more on violence than sex. Using a
different set of letters, ratings and rules. Seems to me that the Game
Rating is done by organizations on an honour basis...you send in the 'worst
scene' of the 'game' and they decide what it should be rated on by how much
'blood'. If you do not apply for rating, you are then marked as 'unrated'
and filtered out by most child filters.

There are the Government guidelines, but those seem to be anything goes as
long as they are over 13....and anything to do with child porn, animal abuse
etc have a few laws but I dont think there is really any set form of
Rules...as yet.

AW is not a movie, yet AW insists on using the old ratings of the film
industry. We cannot even compare the two. Maybe they will come into the
times and use some of the newer internet game ratings...If this ever happens
you may find many of the so called G or PG worlds all of a sudden considered
'Adult' because of the violence or blood....haha I live for that day.....

sweets

tengel

May 10, 2006, 4:05pm
Why should it,
read this, ( allready posted it before)
http://www.activeworlds.com/help/aw36/world_rating.html
Tells it self what those rating are.

[View Quote]

lady teal

May 10, 2006, 4:15pm
Hello,

Understand we have compromised as far as we can in this endeavor. This year
we have included R rated worlds. This world is owned and operated to an
extent by AWI and we are required to follow their guidelines listed at their
website. It is simple this is a gathering to celebrate all that has happened
in Active Worlds and the awards are just part of that. For your information
from the guidelines page - http://www.activeworlds.com/community/terms.asp

Please refrain from using Active Worlds for the following activities:

1. Displaying material containing nudity, pornography, or sexual material of
a lewd, lecherous or obscene nature and intent or that violates local, state
and national laws.

2. Providing material that is grossly offensive to the online community,
including blatant expressions of bigotry, prejudice, racism, hatred or
excessive profanity.

Thank You

Lady TeaL

CY- CYO

[View Quote]

sweets

May 10, 2006, 4:56pm
uh huh....and can you tell me exactly what the difference between 'material
may be present that some adults may find objectionable' (R) and 'potentially
offensive nature' (X)....LMAO nope....always depends on who is looking

sweets

sweets

May 10, 2006, 5:10pm
also can you explain what exactly is 'pornography' as compared to 'Nude
Art'....where exactly the line between art and pornography?....

LOL sorry but the ratings guidelines have always been a bit blurry about the
subject. Certain 'pornography' is not allowed by law....that we know and
accept so cannot show any of that here anyway. the rest is just what they
call porn....and much of soft porn or fantasy art is just that ART. ....so
is that X or R....nobody knows....and is not art also for children?....I am
glad they do not censor the museums so heavily as they do here. I guess to
be R rated would mean adding a few fig leaves here and there LMAO sorry
DaVinci

sweets

tart sugar

May 10, 2006, 5:22pm
Thank-you, Lady TeaL

May I also add another couple of lines from AW's *Terms* page ...

We reserve the right to suspend or remove any world, objects or properties
from the Active Worlds universe which is brought to our attention and which
we find, in our sole discretion, violates any of these content guidelines or
otherwise is in violation of the law.
Activeworlds Inc. does not actively monitor the content of the worlds in
Active Worlds, but we will investigate complaints of violation of these
guidelines.

[View Quote]

sweets

May 10, 2006, 5:27pm
ok so what you are both saying is I better shut up now....noted and obeyed

have a nice award
sweets
*leaves thread

Local Servers Local Laws, though.

--
- Mark Randall
http://www.temporal-solutions.co.uk

"We're Systems and Networks..."
"It's our job to know..."

Well, the way it works in the UK atleast (or so i believe):
Male and female ass 12,(not too sure about that one)
anything with female breasts is rated 15,
anything with the parts below the waist, 18.
Anything showing penatration: R18, not allowed to be broadcast, but allowed
for purchase.
Least, thats how i think it is.
-SWE

andras

May 10, 2006, 7:57pm
[View Quote] > ok so what you are both saying is I better shut up now....noted and obeyed

> have a nice award
> sweets
> *leaves thread

Welcome to America ...